Regency Cthulhu actual play to mark the book's release: Oct 27th

MOB

312292300_512457870891804_3702892035490562858_n.thumb.jpeg.67d305b0f4a236e2a353f4447457eae3.jpeg

Returning after years abroad, Mr. Reginald Fitzwilliam invites the gentry of Tarryford to dinner in celebration of the coming-of-age of his son. It's sure to be an unforgettable night.

With genteel investigators Saige Ryan, London Carlisle, Paula Deming, Cynthia Marie, and your gracious Keeper, Brian Holland.

Join us Oct 27th to celebrate the release of Regency Cthulhu.

Watch at Chaosium's Twitch Channel.

Oooooh !

So, a question:  If Cthulhu/horror ain't my jam, how apt is this book to folks who want to FrankenBRP the Regency Era setting from this book + (when it comes out) "Rivers of (Regency) London" ... or even a high-fantasy Regency in a "Magic World" chassis?  Regency Melnibone?  Egads, even RQ works, those marriage-scheming Regency mama's would be right at home in Nochet! 😁

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

So, a question:  If Cthulhu/horror ain't my jam, how apt is this book to folks who want to FrankenBRP the Regency Era setting from this book + (when it comes out) "Rivers of (Regency) London" ... or even a high-fantasy Regency in a "Magic World" chassis?  Regency Melnibone?  Egads, even RQ works, those marriage-scheming Regency mama's would be right at home in Nochet! 😁

The book provides history and societal notes for the era, which are transferable. The skills and rules, and PC generation are era specific and more or less transferable. Obviously, removing the horror/Mythos can be done, but requires more work in terms of the scenarios. But, in short, you could use this for non-horror Regency games. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Oooooh !

I use Down Darker Trails as a pure (or pulp) western RPG at times, and Cthulhu Dark Ages / Invictus for Conan the Barbarian adventure. I don't have an interest in the time period of Regency, but I'm betting it's just as useable. Looking forward to the new Cthulhu by Gaslight for some Sherlock Holmes adventure.

• Like 4

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Mike M said:

The book provides history and societal notes for the era, which are transferable. The skills and rules, and PC generation are era specific and more or less transferable. Obviously, removing the horror/Mythos can be done, but requires more work in terms of the scenarios. But, in short, you could use this for non-horror Regency games. 

Does it address the continent, at all?  Napoleon, etc?
Or only in the various "soldiers [home from the war / about to go abroad / etc]" tropes (common enough in Regency literature!) ?

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, g33k said:

Thanks!

Does it address the continent, at all?  Napoleon, etc?
Or only in the various "soldiers [home from the war / about to go abroad / etc]" tropes (common enough in Regency literature!) ?

Not to the level I imagine you are asking about - it's focused on England, although as you say you can create soldier PCs etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2022 at 3:04 AM, Mike M said:

Not to the level I imagine you are asking about - it's focused on England, although as you say you can create soldier PCs etc. 

Not what I was "asking about," as you say... but then, I wasn't really expecting loads of detail outside Regency England.  Just confirming what I had thought.

Regency England is more than enough material for any one RPG sourcebook!  And, indeed, the Napoleonic War could be another sourcebook; and each of the nations on the Continent could well get their own (although from the POV of the ton, 1 book for "all that" might be a sufficient treatment).

Still, I've got a project in mind that's really a 50/50 mix of the Napoleonic continent & the Regency.  So I guess I need more resources than this one book... still, it's 50% more than I had a few days ago!  Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

312459726_519411970196394_1434859003323809375_n.thumb.jpeg.df4c492c8e3801b45c5927b1a8442380.jpeg

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we unfortunately have to delay the release of REGENCY CTHULHU (was scheduled to be released today).

Never fear—as soon as we have more info on when this spooktacular book goes on sale, we will let you know!

nb we are also delaying our Regency Cthulhu actual play show on Twitch until the book's release.
Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 5:17 PM, MOB said:

nb we are also delaying our Regency Cthulhu actual play show on Twitch until the book's release.

Join Saige Ryan, Paula Deming, Cynthia Marie, and London Carlisle as Chaosium's Brian Holland  leads them through an enchanting, delightful, and horrifying game of REGENCY CTHULHU:

313123122_528684485935809_4933509794228517188_n.thumb.jpeg.10365cf2766b6edaa6a7f18652f02b5b.jpeg

Watch on November 8th, 4pm PT / 7pm ET: www.twitch.tv/chaosiuminc
Edited by MOB
  • Like 2

Having sat through interminable sanity blasting hours of female relatives watching movie adaptations of Jane Austen, I am inclined to believe that a wayward tentacle or two and some occult homicides would certainly liven the stories up a bit.  Why couldn't I have been watching:

Modesty and Monstrosity.

Tentacles and Temerity.

Fishmansfield Park.

Possession.  (This actually has a 1981 movie starring Sam Neil and Isabel Adjani. 5/5 stars btw.  It is a must see!  A pity it was a modern adaptation)

Ghoulhunger Abbey.

Something Ghastly happened to Emma.

It is a hidden truth universally censored, that a Great Old One come lately into possession of a material form, must be in need of human sacrifice. - Abdul Al Hazred

Edited by Darius West
  • Haha 1