Looking for ideas: How do you recruit new players?

K.J.

Might I refer you to p.184 of the Keeper Rulebook? There is a specific section labeled Finding Players that has some great suggestions, such as friends, family, and local gaming groups such as at schools.

You could also try advertising on social media, Reddit, Discord groups, etc., if you're comfortable with that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

I find hiding in an alley with a sock full of lead sinker, then ambushing and coshing passers by works well. They are really in the C'thulhu mindset when they come to, ducktaped to a chair in a darkened room. (jk)😎

Now that, is an immersive experience. And it fits within my budget.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Keeper J said:

I appreciate your reply. I guess I'm looking for successful ways Keepers have carried out those suggestions from the Keeper Handbook. Perhaps some Keepers have noticed certain methods seem more effective than others.

That's fair, and yeah, it's not that easy. For myself, I finally managed to get my D&D group to play a one-shot of Call of Cthulhu a few days ago, and I'm certain that 2 of the 4 players had an amazing time, one had at least a decent time even though horror's not usually his thing, and one might have been enjoying it until things started going terribly awry, although that was getting late so perhaps he was just tired.

One of the other players in the gorup GMs for another group and says he has tried for years to get those people to try CoC to no avail, so he was super excited to try it, and I think having that one person other than yourself who is excited to try it makes all the difference. I doubt my sales pitch would have been nearly as successful had I not had that one person all in from the get-go.

• Thanks 1

I've joined a local RPG club, I am playing in a game of a different system and I have floated the idea of making myself available to run CoC oneshots for new comers to the club. Every week there are new people coming in who are curious for a 'taster' session, everyone seems keen to make CoC one shots an option.

• Like 1