Coming out of the Berserker Spell

Rodney Dangerduck

Since my semi-NPC-just-testing-a-concept Babs Gor character might cast it tomorrow, some questions about when you come out of Berserker.

1. She will be fighting chaos, so her CON will double, as will (perhaps with a rounding error) her hit points.  Say, from 17 -> 34.
  2. Not parrying, I expect that she will take a lot of damage, possibly in the 20s.  Lets assume 24.
  3. She can't heal herself.  Our Ernaldan is very brave, but maybe not that brave to get close to a Berserker.
  4. As the spell expires, does my Babs Gor
    1. Drop dead instantly (I believe this true is by RAW)
    2. Have a GM is nice to the PCs round or two where the party healer can cast Heal Body.

Has anybody actually used this spell in a tough combat?

Thanks for any ideas on how to make this somewhat workable...

Chalanna Arroy healers all know a calming song to bring allied berserks out of the fit.

Failing that, and if I was the ref, I would rule that the berserker would immediately fall unconscious at the end of the spell [and therefore unable to heal herself] and that she has a short number of rounds for a healer to reach her. And by 'short' I mean 2 to 3 tops. This presumes that the berserker IS NOT below zero HP in the 'instant kill' locations [head, chest, abdomen].

This is the great risk of powerful spells like Berserker and Fanaticism. They're rather 'all or nothing' affairs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Since my semi-NPC-just-testing-a-concept Babs Gor character might cast it tomorrow, some questions about when you come out of Berserker.

1. She will be fighting chaos, so her CON will double, as will (perhaps with a rounding error) her hit points.  Say, from 17 -> 34.
  2. Not parrying, I expect that she will take a lot of damage, possibly in the 20s.  Lets assume 24.
  3. She can't heal herself.  Our Ernaldan is very brave, but maybe not that brave to get close to a Berserker.
  4. As the spell expires, does my Babs Gor
    1. Drop dead instantly (I believe this true is by RAW)
    2. Have a GM is nice to the PCs round or two where the party healer can cast Heal Body.

Sounds like you've planned an epic battle, what a great sacrifice, just the way death cults like to go. Don't cast it without support, like Heal body and Heal wound. The Storm Bull's in my game are very aware of the danger of this spell, so others have to be prepared.

MGF dictates that there's is always a space at the end of the spell, to allow a final soliloquy before the adventurer lapses into unconsciousness and death. That's when the healing happens.

Has anybody actually used this spell in a tough combat?

Yes, one of my players took their Storm Bull into a one-on-one with a scorpionman then a Krashtkid. Importantly the skill doubling (85% -> 170%) and Bludgeon 2 (+10%) meant that there was no effectively no defence against the reduction of 80%. With a damage 1D8+2+1D6+2 (Mace with +1D6 db) Both died quickly with the SB receiving only minor injuries. Our Ernaldan was on standby and the others with Heal Wound (the most popular spell in our group).

Thanks for any ideas on how to make this somewhat workable...

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 hours ago, svensson said:

Chalanna Arroy healers all know a calming song to bring allied berserks out of the fit.

Sadly only for Storm Bulls: 

Initiates of the Chalana Arroy cult can bring someone out of a Storm Bull Berserker rage if they succeed with a roll of CHA×4 on D100 for an initiate or CHA×5 for a High Healer. This ability does not extend to the Berserker spell granted by other cults.

RQG, Berserker page 321 (includes update from the Q&A)

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

18 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Does that include a Berserker spell cast by an SB on someone else who is not an SB initiate?

It does say: This ability does not extend to the Berserker spell granted by other cults. So yes in my game.

• Helpful 1

-----

ranged healing basically means either a Sorcerer throwing Mend Flesh, an illusion of bandages for a temporary but instant First Aid roll,  or a spirit swooping in to 'touch' your character.

A Vigour spell could be cast on you before the combat, and might be enough to keep you alive (or if things go pear-shaped, allow you to win the battle!)

Have you considered the Alchemy option? The raw ingredients of a healing potion costs 50L per POT, but it's cheaper than getting raised. Have a friend yell at you that the gourd bit your mother, and that you should kill it by eating it...

You could improve your Ernaldan's courage by throwing your axes at the enemy towards the end of the fight, then she's only risking fist damage.

• Like 1

don't sure the CA ability is the answer : if the SB is calm, it means the spell is no more here, so the HP bonus is.... away.

In my opinion, the CA should have find a way to heal the SB before she calm the berserker => declaration of actions "I will calm the SB then I will cast immediatly ..." is fine for me but "I will calm the SB" is just killing the warrior (depending on the gm & CA player I would expect or not it as a warning or as the end of the SB pc 🙂 )

I think the consequence of a berserker spell end should be discussed before any cast with the GM. Depending on the GM she could say "no when the spell ends, the bonus is over so if you are dead you are dead" or "of course you will survive if someone succeed to heal you"

Then you know what strategy apply (or not after all a good roleplay is sometimes to decide that your acts will probably call the Death but at least it is a good story)

my own way is your friends have  one round to to heal you. If you sacrifice yourself, is a good devotee of your god, you may gain one or two additional rounds (sometimes healers are not successful).

and if, as a player, you did not respect the people around the table... just roll against your reputation pc and add 100% bonus..  if you succeed... well your death will be song in all prax and your legendary sacrifice will be known even in Nochet and overseas !

• Like 1

I would not play the Berserker spell ends, just that the berserker is calm, and you have till the spell expires to heal them. Otherwise it could be used to kill wounded berserkers, which does not feel right. It would be possible for them to become agitated again, if attacked or somehow provoked.

The duration of all divine spells is constant, and this allows them to stack extension, and makes the potential collaboration of CA and Storm Bull stronger, as healed storm bull cultists may return to the battle as berserkers.

Things are not so good for other berserkers, so getting a bound spirit with Heal is probably a primary priority for anyone planning to use Berserker, as a poor man substitute of an ally spirit. 

5 hours ago, JRE said:

I would not play the Berserker spell ends, just that the berserker is calm, and you have till the spell expires to heal them. Otherwise it could be used to kill wounded berserkers, which does not feel right. It would be possible for them to become agitated again, if attacked or somehow provoked.

The duration of all divine spells is constant, and this allows them to stack extension, and makes the potential collaboration of CA and Storm Bull stronger, as healed storm bull cultists may return to the battle as berserkers.

Things are not so good for other berserkers, so getting a bound spirit with Heal is probably a primary priority for anyone planning to use Berserker, as a poor man substitute of an ally spirit. 

I like this interpretation. And it still means that managing/caring for a calmed berserk is still dangerous - e.g., you calm and heal the berserk, but then something sets them off again while your healer is the closest available target for their wrath ("Uh oh."). 

I also wonder if other forms of the Berserker spell come with their own corresponding "soother;" i.e., someone who can play the role of a Chalana Arroy cultist in relation to a frothing at the mouth Uroxi. For example, maybe full priestesses of Ernalda should be able to pull Babeester Gor devotees from their berserk rage?