Scholar Wyrm of Heortland

Erol of Backford

Sorry my edit didn't make it, was still open on my laptop but not posted.

(Of course Dragon's Eye and Tink at not in Heortland.)

From Guide:

The famous Scholar Wyrm of Heortland voices what is known as the 22nd Complaint when he says the Kralori claims cannot be, “because the Kralorelans are humans.” The Kralori claim that their emperors are, in fact, dragons, and that it is not the place of wyrms or dragonewts to determine draconic dogma.  “If we were not true

Who what why where when how about the Scholar Wyrm of Heortland ?

We assume since it says Heortland we'd need to look there but where as there aren't any dragonewts noted in the Holy Country? Is this wyrm a loner like in the Rubble or maybe its actually a human and its just a title?

Do they happen to have a private library from the EWF possibly? Would they be illuminated? Are there dragonewt roads like in Sartar? 

Minor Peoples (and Rebels):
Ducks.......................................... 20,000
Dwarves (Gemborg)................... 35,000
Kitori............................................. 5,000
Newtlings.................................... 35,000
Volsaxiland............................... 120,000
Wind Children............................. 15,000

image.png.1ecdb53247e3cd178c043d4990fa5327.png image.png.912161513c244bcb1f9c52becd0f1a72.png

Edited by Erol of Backford

In Elder Secrets, Scholar Wyrm was depicted as a Wyrm with glasses so I really doubt that it's a title of a human.  Likewise quoting population figures means little as population figures of the Rubble do not have any Wyrms listed.

The Wyrm could be based at the Jelenkev library although existing descriptions do not mention a Wyrm there.  

• Thanks 1

Where does a wyrm live? Wherever it wants...

I would expect the title is because it is a frequent visitor at the Jelenkev library, but surely its residence is hidden, magically protected and accesible only to flying beings. Thanks to flight, it can be probably anywhere in 2-300 km around Jelenkev, maybe even further away if it visits only a few times per season.

It could be the source of magical pen feathers that write what you speak once activated with MP. Quite necessary for a wyrm dabbling in human writings.

Edited by JRE
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

The famous Scholar Wyrm of Heortland

This will be the same Scholar Wyrm who appears in the Smoking Ruins volume (p.23-24).

‘Scholar Wyrm’ is an ancient being who remembers the Empire of the Wyrms Friends. He wishes to plot out the position of each stone and then compare the results with that of a Second Age manuscript he found in the City of Wonders before its destruction in 1624. He normally works out of the Great Archive in the city of Nochet, so he is a bit far from home. Scholar Wyrm (he reveals no other name) is particularly friendly towards Orlanthi and Esrolians and is a Rune Priest of Lhankor Mhy. If the adventurers appear friendly or at least reasonable, he tries to recruit them into helping him with his research. As with all his kind, he is a giant winged serpent with a draconic head...'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Great Archive in the city of Nochet

Checked the Smoking Ruins and the PP & Other Stories. I didn't recall the Encounter section of the Wind Temple area... The Ruin on the Stream scenario from Peg Plateau will fit nicely as well I am sure. We could have the PC's run into the Scholar first in Jelenkev then later Nochet and finally near the Wind Temple at a much later date or even as something that he requests in advance and meets them their to assist with some research?  When the PC's are in Nochet they can run through Getting of Wisdom which will be fun I am sure.

Any thoughts on the Scholar Wyrm, Windwhistler, Eyes-Shut and Forang Forash all having a conference in Sartar? Has anyone run something like that in their campaigns? Possibly they have all been researching something and want to put their notes together? The topics could be the Smoking Ruins, some EWF's item, the Gold Wheel Dancers...?

So the Kralori PC happens to be the official recipient of 22nd Complaint and is tasked with submitting it in person to Godunya!?

Thoughts and again sorry in advance for not having the Smoking Ruins material in my head but there is so much great material on Glorantha!

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Any thoughts on the Scholar Wyrm, Windwhistler, Eyes-Shut and Forang Forash all having a conference in Sartar? Has anyone run something like that in their campaigns? Possibly they have all been researching something and want to put their notes together? The topics could be the Smoking Ruins, some EWF's item, the Gold Wheel Dancers...?

I've taken my PC's through Tink to meet Forang Forash before.  One of them was possessed by a Thanatari Mad Head ghost and Forang was the closest person around who could exorcise the spirit to save the PC.  

Given that group of four, I think the topic would be the EWF and how to find and restore its glories - i.e. they are conspiring to create "Argrath".  Given your timeframe, make it a prior attempt.  Pavis, of course, would be a likely place; the old EWF cities (including the Undead Marsh) along the Creek-Stream River; etc.  I don't see them having an interest in GWD - and this is well before Urrgh the Ugly prays to his Wheel in the Underworld.  For this group in the early 1600's the GWD are extinct.  But EWF artifacts...