Keeper Bolog

Hello fellow Keepers!

Sorry if this was asked before, I couldn't find it.

In Masks of Nyarlathothep (and most adventures i`d say) most bad guys have Call Spells and players have a decent chance of learning Call X God spells as well.

How do you handle such a summoning if a player or villain does it? For example if you Call Azatoth -> Calling this god is extremely dangerous and has the potential to fry the entire planet. The spell can be cast only outside at night; however, no other special preparations are needed.

• If my villain summon a god while they are fighting the party what happens? Do they just ... die? That would be kinda boring game-play.
  • Or if the players just randomly Call upon a god during a session and basically just prematurely end the campaign..

I dont know how to deal with such situations since I am a fairly new CoC Keeper, any advice would be great 😄

Thanks!

Summoning gods is difficult and time consuming and normally requires lots of help from screaming cultists. Maybe not completely impossible for one person to do it, if they are extraordinarily powerful, like Wizard Whateley, but people of that calibre are also very rare. 

As for Azathoth, Azathoth summonings result in cataclysms which usually destroy the summoner. A suggested example of a possible Azathoth summoning I read once was the Tunguska Event of 1908, which struck with the force of a 12Mt nuclear explosion. So summon Azathoth is kindof difficult to get hold of, because most of the people who try this interesting new spell are obliterated, along with the rare manuscript which provided the spell.

If someone does start tampering with Azathoth magic, I once read a delightful but probably non-canon explanation of what Azathoth does to a place which has been afflicted by his influence, that suggestion was insanity made manifest. Delusions become reality. So if someone develops a split personality, when assuming their alternate personality their appearance changes to match their personality. If they think they are a cat, they grow fur and a tail and walk on all fours. If they are a pyromaniac, they find it really easy to start fires. If they think they are a monster - I think you get the idea. Azathoth makes your worst nightmares a physical reality, and the very physical laws of a region under his influence bend and warp to enhance the manifestation of whatever insanities people are experiencing. I'm sorry to whoever thought of this but I have forgotten who wrote this idea originally.

Kind of like the movie...

Edited by EricW
  • Helpful 1

48 minutes ago, EricW said:

Summoning gods is difficult and time consuming and normally requires lots of help from screaming cultists. Maybe not completely impossible for one person to do it, if they are extraordinarily powerful, like Wizard Whateley, but people of that calibre are also very rare. 

As for Azathoth, Azathoth summonings result in cataclysms which usually destroy the summoner. A suggested example of a possible Azathoth summoning I read once was the Tunguska Event of 1908, which struck with the force of a 12Mt nuclear explosion. So summon Azathoth is kindof difficult to get hold of, because most of the people who try this interesting new spell are obliterated, along with the rare manuscript which provided the spell.

If someone does start tampering with Azathoth magic, I once read a delightful but probably non-canon explanation of what Azathoth does to a place which has been afflicted by his influence, that suggestion was insanity made manifest. Delusions become reality. So if someone develops a split personality, when assuming their alternate personality their appearance changes to match their personality. If they think they are a cat, they grow fur and a tail and walk on all fours. If they are a pyromaniac, they find it really easy to start fires. If they think they are a monster - I think you get the idea. Azathoth makes your worst nightmares a physical reality, and the very physical laws of a region under his influence bend and warp to enhance the manifestation of whatever insanities people are experiencing. I'm sorry to whoever thought of this but I have forgotten who wrote this idea originally.

Kind of like the movie...

A very cool way to deal with it!

I might just "fuck with my players" like you suggested if they go about summoning Gods xD

Thanks!

• Like 1