Magic damage and Telmori

Gamesmeister

On 11/5/2022 at 12:36 PM, Scotty said:

Sadly we don't have the original developers around anymore to answer that question, but as I said:

I don't see what that has to do with anything, we're talking about the rules in the current volumes, not previous ones.

Bladesharp 2 is a magic spell that increases the damage of a bronze broadsword by 2 points. 

Truesword is a magic spell that increases the damage of a bronze broadsword by 1D8+1 points. 

Where's the difference in these two spells? I assume you're ruling this just because it mentions Telmori in the spell description of Bladesharp, but that doesn't make sense...Fireblade doesn't say it can hurt Telmori in its spell description, but we already know that it can.

And reminding me that I can rule whatever I like in my game is unnecessary, of course I can. What I'm looking for is consistency in the rules so I don't need to keep coming to these forums every time I get a question. For example, Disruption doesn't mention Telmori, can that hurt them? If so, why?

Surely(!) it's much easier to state that any (additional) damage generated by magic can penetrate a Telmori hide, and leave it at that?

Edited by Gamesmeister
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamesmeister said:

Bladesharp 2 is a magic spell that increases the damage of a bronze broadsword by 2 points. 

Truesword is a magic spell that increases the damage of a bronze broadsword by 1D8+1 points. 

Where's the difference in these two spells? I assume you're ruling this just because it mentions Telmori in the spell description of Bladesharp, but that doesn't make sense...Fireblade doesn't say it can hurt Telmori in its spell description, but we already know that it can.

Truesword does the extra damage to Telmori in my game. And a Humakti weapon blessed to do double damage once armour is penetrated would do normal damage, the "extra" from doubling counting as magical.

I don't see what that has to do with anything, we're talking about the rules in the current volumes, not previous ones.

I think what is happening here is that Scotty is interpreting the rules as written, and hasn't gone back to the current authors (Jason, Jeff) to get a change considered. Maybe it will be when the new revision is done, I've heard rumours that it at the very least intended, if not actively worked on.

On 11/5/2022 at 6:36 AM, Scotty said:

Sadly we don't have the original developers around anymore to answer that question, but as I said:

27 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think what is happening here is that Scotty is interpreting the rules as written, and hasn't gone back to the current authors (Jason, Jeff) to get a change considered.

May I offer another possible (and sadder) interpretation. He may be referring to Steve Perrin and Ray Turney... 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 hours ago, Gamesmeister said:

Where's the difference in these two spells? I assume you're ruling this just because it mentions Telmori in the spell description of Bladesharp, but that doesn't

I'm having difficulty in putting my view into words but...

Truesword -- based upon the name, makes the sword sort of an archetype of a sword: something optimized for cut/slash/thrust (depending up base sword type) doing cutting damage. For the duration, it changes the nature of the sword itself.

Bladesharp -- to me doesn't change the sword, it creates a virtual cutting edge at the real sword edges (or covers the real edge with an unseen razor edge). This unseen edge is what does the extra damage, followed by the real edge doing damage in the "opening" created by the spell's damage. I view Fireblade similarly -- the fire "covers" the blade, but does not change the blade's nature itself (other than the fire overriding the blade's normal damage).

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Ray is still around.  He did suffer a stroke a decade ago and has speech aphasia, though he understands others well..  Let me know if you want contact info.

I am a fan boy of the early RQers and I wonder if he would appreciate that. Sometimes folk hate that kind of stuff. The first time I chatted with MOB I was apologizing for being excited so much he knew I was Canadian before I said I was.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!