Do Gloranthans Dream of Rune Powered Sheep?

Darius West

I would assume that dreams are not subconscious filing of waking experiences but an actual contact with the otherworld in Glorantha.

Therefore, the contact depends on the otherworld where you are. In a theist culture, your deity will send you information in dreams, and make sure you are protected from interference from others. Surely each pantheon will have their own dream-keeper, usually someone with shamanist traits, but I would expect all deities can protect their followers most of the time, as well as wyters and cult spirits.

Dreams are probably more complex among the monotheists, as they are open to many more messages, and spirits are always more suspect and less friendly. Another job for the wizards, and maybe an additional explanation why they are so urban, as there is protection in numbers. Good dreams will come from ascended masters and friendly spirits, bad dreams from krjalki and demons. More or less like many religions do in the Real World.

The existence of a deity of dreams will cause the existence of dream magic, as in the East Isles, and where it is not known that magic will be exotic and weaker, as it will be opposed by the established powers, but it should still work, but weaker.

Shamans, of course, dabble in dreams, believe in them, use them, fear them, and use them to keep others in awe of their power.

But unless someone invested a lot of power in dream magic, it is mostly background noise.

• Like 1

Glorantha has surprisingly little dream magic, I would say, especially for a world where some dreams can manifest as actual dragons.

It's interesting to speculate whether you can in fact visit some Otherworld in your dreams. Shamans at the very least?

The prospect of bringing stuff out of you dreams, of dream-questing, and so on, seems fertile.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:47 AM, mfbrandi said:

I don’t know when/where this originated, but it made it to her entry on the Well of Daliath:

According to Beer with Teeth at least, it is not just a pot, but a food pot.

Perhaps the symbolism relates to Xiola Umbar's generosity. To an Uz giving food would be the most attractive act of generosity, thus the food pot.   The other Uz gods do not seem to especially embody that virtue.  Of course the healing aspect counts too, perhaps more for us humans than for the Uz.

2 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Perhaps the symbolism relates to Xiola Umbar's generosity.

Perhaps, and perhaps the mouthless face says, “I am not eating, so you can.” But I like to think it says, “I have a secret, and I am not telling.” Also that we will keep trying to link her to the other pot deities — Ginna Jar and (maybe) She Who Waits — who have secrets, too. Maybe there is a clue in Trollpak somewhere.

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

12 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Perhaps, and perhaps the mouthless face says, “I am not eating, so you can.” But I like to think it says, “I have a secret, and I am not telling.” Also that we will keep trying to link her to the other pot deities — Ginna Jar and (maybe) She Who Waits — who have secrets, too. Maybe there is a clue in Trollpak somewhere.

The mouth of a put is under its lid.