So what other games do BRP fans play ?

weasel fierce

THought this might be fun. Basically, other than BRP, what other games do you guys play ? Im interested in seeing what similar games turn up, as well as games that are completely different.

My list, in addition to various BRP mix-ups (principally RQ3 and SB5) has a bunch of stuf fon it, but main games would be GURPS 4, Reign and Warhammer fantasy roleplay. Throw in some Traveller as well.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the ones that I would consider significant (many sessions or long-term campaigns) are:

Gamma World (2nd & 4th editions)

Star Frontiers

Middle-Earth Role Playing (2nd edition)

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1st, 2nd, & 2.5 editions)

RuneQuest (3rd edition)

Eflquest (1st edition)

Superworld

GURPS (3rd edition)

Justifiers (2nd edition)

Talislanta (2nd & 3rd editions)

Dungeons & Dragons (3.0 and 3.5 editions)

d20 Modern

Star Wars (D6 and d20 editions)

There were many one-shots, only a couple of sessions, or mini-campaigns from a bunch other RPGs; but I don't want to sound pretentious.

BRP Ze 32/420

-Warhammer. (which I dont like at all, but do play because I like the people)

-BRP

In fomer times, I played Midgard (a german fantasy roleplaying game) It was ok, till I detected RQ :)

Other games I played and where I like the setting (but not the rules)

-Traveller

-Transhuman Space

-Cyberspace (ICE)

-Fading Suns

Other games, burn the blasphemer >:->

RPG wise I used to enjoy Bushido and on the science fiction front Traveller and a post apocalypse game called Aftermath. Both Bushido and Aftermath were from FGU if memory serves.

When younger I did some tabletop wargaming, mostly colonial wars but also a fair bit of tabletop naval wargaming, ironclad era and WW1

Traveller (LBB version)

Arduin Grimoire (the setting, not the rules)

GURPS (still a fan but haven't played lately)

WFRP (older version)

Whispering Vault

Cyberpunk

Paranoia

Kult

Fading Suns

Dark Sun (again, the setting, not the rules)

Jorune

We also play a lot of wargames:

Rogue Trader (original, and best, 40k)

Confrontation 3 (no interest in 4th edition)

recently we've been playing a lot of Songs Of Blades And Heroes... a cool little fantasy skirmish game that lets you use whatever figs you want.

Current RPGs:

BRP: RQIII

Non BRP: Champions

Past and significant:

BRP: RQII, RQIII, SB1, Hawkmoon, CoC

Non BRP: Champions, Shadowrun, Vampire, Cyberpunk, ADD1, JB007

Non RPG: Civilization, Car Wars, Britania, World in Flames

Past and non significant:

BRP: None

Non BRP: Lots of (Aftermath, Bushido, flashing blades, Daredevils, D&D1, MERP, Rolemaster,...)

Non RPG: Lots of, including quite a number of wargames

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

BRP Fading Suns would be sweet indeed :)

Oh, yes! I've only read a little of the material, but it seems like a most interesting setting.

I currently GM "Call of Cthulhu".

In the past I've either played or GM'd:

Red Box D&D

Doctor Who

Champions

AD&D 1st Ed.

Star Wars

Traveller

Shadowrun

D20 D&D 3.5

Of those I played "Champions" and "AD&D 1st Ed." the most. Still the current CoC campaign I'm running has lasted longer, and potentially for more sessions that both of those combined. Of the settings I've played in the past, I'd be interested in running either Traveller or Doctor Who using BRP.

Miniature Games:

Warhammer 40k

Epic 40k/Space Marine

Man O'War

With two of those Miniature games, it probably shouldn't be a surprise that I'm interested in the new WH40k RPG that will be coming out in 2008.

Zane

Besides BRP-based games I gamemaster:

D&D 3.5

Star Wars (D20)

Mongoose RuneQuest (pretty much BRP, though not as good)

I wish I got to actually play these and many other games but I can't find anyone to GM, which irks me to no end. However, I've recently given up on D&D...I'm so tired of the cumbersome system and I doubt a 4th edition will solve those problems and I don't feel like shucking out another $90.

I'll continue running Star Wars off and on since its Star Wars...I just wish it wasn't D20...I'm not a huge fan of the D6 system. Perhaps a BRP conversion will be in order after the release of the new book?

Currently doing HQ in Glorantha, plus my own Chronicles of Future Earth setting using a BRP/SB5 thing.

Significant games played at one time or another (ie campaigns):

RQ2/3 (Glorantha)

Traveller (classic era, various incarnations)

D&D 1e, Blackmoor (First Fantasy Campaign) & Wilderlands / CSIO

Space Opera (homebrew campaign)

Stormbringer

Ringworld

C&S

Bushido

Gamma World (1st and 2nd eds)

Metamorphosis Alpha

Arduin Grimoire (setting & rules)

Fantasy Trip

T&T

Tekumel (various incarnations)

CoC

Pendragon

Other games played:

2300AD

Gangster

Hawkmoon

MERP

Paranoia

Games Owned But Not Played:

Elfquest

Maelstrom

Dragon Warriors

Car Wars

Alternity

Bunnies & Burrows

Arcanum

LOTR RPG

Warhammer FRP

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

In the past three years since I started writing BRP, I've run a lot of BRP, as well as all of these (and a few others I've forgotten):

A Game of Thrones (d20 and Tri-Stat versions)

Army of Darkness

Battlestar Galactica

Boot Hill

Cold City

Conan (using BRP)

Dogs in the Vineyard

Farscape (d20 game)

Hellboy (using BRP)

Lost Souls

Normal, TX

Serenity

Spirit of the Century

Star Wars Saga Edition (d20 version)

Usagi Yojimbo (Fuzion system)

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition)

... and this weekend I'm putting together an impromptu BRP Rome game, using Pete Nash's Pax Romana rules as well as Green Ronin's Eternal Rome sourcebook.

You do not even want to know how many games fall into this category, with me having in some cases all of the books for the game. :) Lets just say they would easily fill a couple bookcases if not for the fact they're mostly boxed up and in storage.

Oh, and with that list of games you list as having played you're dating yourself! :) Some of those I haven't seen in years (OK, I confess most I own).

I've been in the hobby, well, a long, long time, so I've ran or played under more systems than I could probably remember. Just sticking to ones of recent vintage:

Mutants and Masterminds

D&D 3e

Alternity

Hero

Aberrant

BESM

Unisystem

Of the next campaign we're looking at, I'll probably be either using some version of BRP, JAGS, Alternity or possibly True20.

Oh, and with that list of games you list as having played you're dating yourself! :) Some of those I haven't seen in years (OK, I confess most I own).

:D I know - it's awful, isn't it? I've been gaming for far, far too long, and intend to continue in the same vein! :lol:

It is funny how the games do date you though - I know so little about games like Exalted, BESM (in fact I find the entire concept of BESM a bit creepy - I lived in Japan for quite some time, and still can't help harbouring a certain image about manga...). But I must admit - mention of The Fantasy Trip & Bunnies & Burrows does probably make me an incredible RPG crumbly!

Oh - and I'm still looking for a copy of the old C&S campaign setting "Arden", if anyone ever comes across one ;-)

Don't get me started... "in my day..." :eek:

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Significant games played at one time or another (ie campaigns):

RQ1/2/3 (NOT Glorantha)

Traveller (CT)

(A)D&D 1e-ish (we had the Eric Holmes 1 book intro of D&D, plus the PHB and MM and had to wait ages for the DMG)

Space Opera

Stormbringer (I-V + Elric!)

Other Suns

Bushido

Gamma World (1st Ed)

Fantasy Trip

CoC

Pendragon

BootHill (1st edition)

GURPS

Dragon Warriors

Space: 1889

Arcana Unearthed / Evolved (d20)

D&D 3e

Skyrealms of Jorune (2nd & 3rd editions)

Ars Magica (2nd)

Other games played:

2300AD

Gangster

Hawkmoon

MERP

Paranoia

Dark Conspiracy

Lords of Creation

Star Wars D6

Stargate SG-1 (d20)

FASA StarTrek

Vampire the Masquerade (1st *spit*)

the Babylon Project

Dark Continent

Metamorphosis Alpha

High Fantasy

T&T

C&S

Elfquest

Nephilim

Powers & Perils

Earthdawn

Farscape d20

PsiWorld

Daredevils

Tribe 8

Iron Heroes (d20)

Talislanta

Worlds Beyond

Serenity

Burning Wheel

Savage Worlds (EE)

Tekumel (reprint of EPT rules, S&G and GoO)

Unknown Armies

Ganbusters 3rd

Boothill 3rd

Everway

I did own Bunnies & Burrows once,but I don't think we ever played it and I no longer have a copy: like many other gaming gems it was sold off when I disposed of my entire gaming collection in the mid '90's... only to end up replacing most of it via eBay five years later!

High Fantasy! I remember that! That had the front cover with the guy with the most unrealistic thighs I'd ever seen... Wasn't there a scenario called Fortress Ellendar also?

Actually, if I remember rightly, High Fantasy had quite a neat combat mechanic which I think sort of cropped up later in The Compleat Arduin, but a rather ungranular experience system which bugged me a bit.

Blimey... this is turning into a major nostalgia trip!

High Fantasy! I remember that! That had the front cover with the guy with the most unrealistic thighs I'd ever seen... Wasn't there a scenario called Fortress Ellendar also?

Yep - and I only recently discovered the existence of the other supplement (Moorguard), and the fact that there was a second edition apparently...

Actually, if I remember rightly, High Fantasy had quite a neat combat mechanic which I think sort of cropped up later in The Complete Arduin, but a rather ungranular experience system which bugged me a bit.

There was a big complicated table one cross indexed the attacker and defenders abilities IIRC... but that's about all I can remember.

Blimey... this is turning into a major nostalgia trip!

:D

Nick Middleton

I recall two High Fanatasy books.

I had what I think was the first edition was 8 1/2 by 11 nad had a really bad (even for the day) cover painting, and was around 50-60 pages if I recall right.

The (I think second) was a 6 x 9 book but considerably thicker in page count.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Other games I play right now:

Candyland

Chutes and Ladders

Disney DVD Bingo

(what can I say, I have small children)...

I recently played Candyland with a friend's 4 year old daughter. Strange thing was, while I, the adult, was trying to let the child win, the child, having learned from the adults, was trying to let me win. :eek:

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.