Well, Jingle Bells, I suppose.

svensson

If you want to see otherwise reasonably intelligent people completely lose their Goddamned minds, just come to the Puget Sound when it snows.

Like it's doing right now.

People around here just plain freak the Hell out when Santa's dandruff starts falling from the sky. There's a run on everything from bottled water to generators at the stores and people acting like it's the Apocalypse. God as my witness, I wouldn't take a million dollars to go to a Walmart right now.

What's more, most people in Western Washington are constitutionally unable to drive in snow. They drive too fast, too close together, or they crawl along at 10 miles an hour in horrified fear.

I love my home state, I really do. It's beautiful and not as full of hipsters as many think [PROTIP: Don't live in Seattle]. But I know my people, and right now my people are completely losing their shit.

Well, fortunately, it started raining later in the day, with rain pretty much all night thereafter. The dusting we had is gone.

However, this doesn't bode entirely well. Normally, we get snow [if we get any at all] in January or early February. It usually lasts a couple weeks and it's gone. But getting a dusting this early in the winter could very well mean a cold snap winter, which we see about once every 10 years or so.

But it could be worse. I could live in the Midwest, where snow comes in October and lives on your couch for six months 😂

22 hours ago, svensson said:

If you want to see otherwise reasonably intelligent people completely lose their Goddamned minds, just come to the Puget Sound when it snows.

Like it's doing right now.

People around here just plain freak the Hell out when Santa's dandruff starts falling from the sky. There's a run on everything from bottled water to generators at the stores and people acting like it's the Apocalypse. God as my witness, I wouldn't take a million dollars to go to a Walmart right now.

What's more, most people in Western Washington are constitutionally unable to drive in snow. They drive too fast, too close together, or they crawl along at 10 miles an hour in horrified fear.

I love my home state, I really do. It's beautiful and not as full of hipsters as many think [PROTIP: Don't live in Seattle]. But I know my people, and right now my people are completely losing their shit.

Driving in general seems to be worse in the post-lockdown era.  People are running reds, rolling-stops through stopsigns, speeding through 25mph-zones, passing in non-passing zones, etc.  Traffic accidents are measurably up (at least, around here ... haven't researched national trends).

Around here, snow is even more rare... but rainy streets are also more dangerous than dry ones (especially 1st rain after a long dry spell, because accumulated oil-drips mix with the water to VERY slippery effects!), and I've been noticing since forever that most drivers seem to act like that's not true. 

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig