Horror on the Orient Express (1991): A Collector’s Guide to the epic Call of Cthulhu campaign set

Wayne's Books

Horror on the Orient Express (1991) is a very busy set. This epic, continent-spanning campaign box for Call of Cthulhu RPG is jam-packed with player handouts. Over the years, parts get lost, making for headaches in the collector market. I deep-dive into a complete set, with pics of everything at my photoblog. Enjoy! -Wayne

Horror on the Orient Express (1991): A Collector’s Guide to the epic Call of Cthulhu campaign set

Horror on the Orient Express 1991 a box cover det.jpg

• Like 3
Sales site:          WaynesBooks.net
RPG reference:  WaynesBooks.com
Games Gallery:  WaynesBooks.games

I have this set, but I've never run it. I never had what I would have considered the "right group" to get the right experience, and the first edition was a little uneven in parts. The most recent version is amazing and makes me sad I never got to run it.

• Like 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

Likewise, I'd love to play through Horror on the Orient Express. Been trying to persuade our group's GM to run Call of Cthulhu.

Can you elaborate on "first edition was a little uneven in parts"?  I'm not well versed in CoC. 

• Like 1
Sales site:          WaynesBooks.net
RPG reference:  WaynesBooks.com
Games Gallery:  WaynesBooks.games

On 11/30/2022 at 5:58 PM, Wayne's Books said:

Can you elaborate on "first edition was a little uneven in parts"?  I'm not well versed in CoC. 

Spoiler

I don't own the current edition, so I can't comment if they fixed this issue, but in Book 3, Italy and Beyond, the investigators go to Dream Zagreb. This chapter felt like a complete tonal shift from the rest. It didn't feel like it added anything to the campaign, but was far more of a gothic horror chapter than Lovecraftian horror.

Edited by AlHazred
  • Helpful 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja