Glorantha - what would be a good starting campaign?

Redge

1 hour ago, Falconer said:

I started with Griffin Mountain, but I inserted the Rainbow Mounds as the main introductory scenario there (interspersed with the excellent “Growing Up” scenarios from GM).

What can I say. I filed the serial numbers off Apple Lane recently and put Gringle Pawnshop and the Rainbow mound Outside Pavis on the road to Sun Country for a new group of players

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRose said:

What can I say. I filed the serial numbers off Apple Lane recently and put Gringle Pawnshop and the Rainbow mound Outside Pavis on the road to Sun Country for a new group of players

I'm doing this too. What's the name of your village?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1.3.2016 at 11:02 PM, TRose said:

Looks like we all love the Gloranthan Classic here.

Because they are damn' good !

MOB's suggestion seems to be the most sensible. Borderlands to start with, it has been made for that and it is all wilderness. You don't even need to know too much about Glorantha and can quickly start without reading tons of background material. Glorantha is a World which you discover by playing in it. Then you have all the material to play in the River of Craddles: Shadows on the Borderlands and Strangers in Prax for scenarios, Pavis / Big Rubble and Sun County for sandboxing (and more scenarios), depending on your tastes or where the campaign is leading you. You have here years of gaming available. Or you can switch to Griffin Mountain (my prefered RQ supplement) or go to Dorastor.

Wether RQ2 or 3 is not a big deal.

But you'll definitely need Cults of Prax, or better the Cult Compendium to play a gloranthan campaign.

• Like 1

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

2 hours ago, Zit said:

Because they are damn' good !

MOB's suggestion seems to be the most sensible. Borderlands to start with, it has been made for that and it is all wilderness. You don't even need to know too much about Glorantha and can quickly start without reading tons of background material. Glorantha is a World which you discover by playing in it. Then you have all the material to play in the River of Craddles: Shadows on the Borderlands and Strangers in Prax for scenarios, Pavis / Big Rubble and Sun County for sandboxing (and more scenarios), depending on your tastes or where the campaign is leading you. You have here years of gaming available. Or you can switch to Griffin Mountain (my prefered RQ supplement) or go to Dorastor.

Wether RQ2 or 3 is not a big deal.

But you'll definitely need Cults of Prax, or better the Cult Compendium to play a gloranthan campaign.

Curious.Why would you say cult compendium over cults of prax? 

4 minutes ago, Corvantir said:

I suppose that is because the Cult Compendium includes the Gods from both Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror...   ;)

Ah right of course. Apart from the compilation of both cult books, is there anything extra in cults compendium? As the originals are coming back into print this year , might those be preferential? 

3 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Ah right of course. Apart from the compilation of both cult books, is there anything extra in cults compendium? As the originals are coming back into print this year , might those be preferential? 

Cults Compendium included not only Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror, but also the cults from Trollpak, Pavis/Big Rubble and various magazines (e.g. Different Worlds), and the spirit cults from Borderlands.  Either will work to get underway.

• Like 2

I hate to bring this up and I am not accusing anyone of anything as we are a pretty diverse and laid back group. But I would be careful of using the term   Mudsharks in a public game, at least in California.

The name Mudsharks , here in  California has been hijacked by skinhead nitwits and they use it to refer to white men and women who are in interracial relationships.

Which is a shame because Mudsharks are a cool monsters.

1 hour ago, TRose said:

I hate to bring this up and I am not accusing anyone of anything as we are a pretty diverse and laid back group. But I would be careful of using the term   Mudsharks in a public game, at least in California.

The name Mudsharks , here in  California has been hijacked by skinhead nitwits and they use it to refer to white men and women who are in interracial relationships.

Which is a shame because Mudsharks are a cool monsters.

Well...  DAMN.  Every time I think the racists can't sink any lower...

Sometimes, I hate Googling for something.

The usage seems to occur far beyond California.  And it looks (so nobody ELSE has to wade through the muck) to be largely a whiteF/blackM usage -- the woman being the "mudshark" and "mudsharking" the behavior.

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Well...  DAMN.  Every time I think the racists can't sink any lower...

Sometimes, I hate Googling for something.

The usage seems to occur far beyond California.  And it looks (so nobody ELSE has to wade through the muck) to be largely a whiteF/blackM usage -- the woman being the "mudshark" and "mudsharking" the behavior.

Damn it, just as I finally recieve  closure on a 25 year old mystery, it seems that times have changed and I can no longer use the term "Mudshark".

Oh well I have never come across that meaning in the UK thankfully, and I don't imagine I ever will. 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp