d&d monsters

mwsasser

Has anyone converted a few monsters from 3.0 or 3.5 d&d to brp/runequest? Maybe a document that suggests how to do it for yourself?

Which monster(s) would you like to see ?

There are a number of "classical" D&D monsters in every version of the RuneQuest "Monsters" book.

Has anyone converted a few monsters from 3.0 or 3.5 d&d to brp/runequest? Maybe a document that suggests how to do it for yourself?

For a project I was working on I experimented with converting OGL monsters and worked up various types of Bugbears for MRQII. The stats are on my wiki at http://b5quest.pbworks.com/Bugbear if you're interested.

For a project I was working on I experimented with converting OGL monsters and worked up various types of Bugbears for MRQII. The stats are on my wiki at http://b5quest.pbworks.com/Bugbear if you're interested.

Very cool. Bugbears are something I wouldn't have thought of, in fact something I haven't used since 1st edtion ad&d. But you know what, I just might have to. ;D

I want fire drakes, slaad and more to be honest. Has no one a conversion document for monsters?

Very cool. Bugbears are something I wouldn't have thought of, in fact something I haven't used since 1st edtion ad&d. But you know what, I just might have to. ;D

I want fire drakes, slaad and more to be honest. Has no one a conversion document for monsters?

There are fire-breathing dragons in RuneQuest (any edition), StormBringer and Elric !

As for Slaad, maybe Slarges (man/reptiles hybrides from RuneQuest) can be a good substitute.

As for a straight translation, it's difficult at low levels, and impossible at high level.

STR, DEX, CON and INT are more or less equivalent in both games, but BRP POW is a mix between D&D3.0 CHA and WIS, and BRP CHA or APP are different from D&D 3.0 CHA...

The problem is that there is no equivalent to level or hit dice in BRP, so you will lose an important information.

I'm working on quite a few for Classic Fantasy II. The following are finished...

Ant, Giant

Basilisk

Bat, Large

Bat, Giant

Bat, Swarm

Bear, Cave

Beetle, Giant Bombardier

Beetle, Giant Boring

Boar, Normal

Boar, Giant

Bugbear

Cat, House

Carrion Creeper

Centipede, Giant

Creeping Cube

Displacer Cat

Doppelganger

Dragon, Black

Dragon, Blue

Dragon, Brass

Dragon, Bronze

Dragon, Copper

Dragon, Gold

Dragon, Green

Dragon, Red

Dragon, White

Elf, Dark

Ettin

Gargoyle

Ghost

Gnoll

Giant, Hill

Giant, Fire

Giant, Stone

Giant, Cloud

Giant, Storm

Goblin

Hobgoblin

Kobold

Lich

Lizard Man

Lurker

Mummy

Naga, Dark

Naga, Guardian

Naga, Spirit

Naga, Water

Ocular Tyrant

Ogre

Orc

Owlbear

Pseudo-dragon

Rat, Giant

Skeleton

Slime, Green

Small Animal

Wolverine

Zombie

If you want to join my yahoo group (as noted in my sig below) several have been added to the file section for comments and more will be added later. Plus I do take requests.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I'm working on quite a few for Classic Fantasy II. The following are finished...

If you want to join my yahoo group (as noted in my sig below) several have been added to the file section for comments and more will be added later. Plus I do take requests.

Rod

Ohhh.... *salivating* I have sent you a join request. ;t)

• 2 weeks later...

I've converted some (they're posted on Rod's CF group). The process is not 100% due to the differences in game systems. You'll have to try it and see how it works in a game, I've only play tested one and that works Ok. Here's how I do it.

STR, DEX, CON, INT are all the same. WIS=POW and CHA=APP (by no means 100% but adjust as you see fit). For size I use 1d3 for Fine, 1d4 for Diminutive then 1D6 for each size category from Tiny (1d6) up to Large (4d6), Huge is 4d6+6, Gargantuan 4d6+12 and Colossal 4d6+18 making adjustments as necessary. For Skills I take off the ability modifier and multiply x 5 (the beauty of converting a D20 to a D100! So if you're converting a monster with a Dex of 18 (+4) and hide skill of 13, their BRP skill would be 45% (13-4=9X5=45). Generally, for attacks it's the same process but you need to do a little tweaking here and there to suit how dangerous you want it. All the rest of the numbers can be derived using the standard BRP formulas. Like I said, this is quick and dirty and sometimes you get some weird numbers, but it's a good place to start.

For creatures that use magic or other powers try and find a similar power (you may have to look through all four power sources) or check some of the excellent monographs (Rod's Classic Fantasy for starters). When I say something similar I'm not referring to descriptive text, rather mechanical effects, you can always change the descriptive fluff to whatever you want. Happy monster making.;D

Edited by DamonJynx
Incomplete reply

STR, DEX, CON, INT are all the same. WIS=POW and CHA=APP (by no means 100% but adjust as you see fit). For size I use 1d3 for Fine, 1d4 for Diminutive then 1D6 for each size category from Tiny (1d6) up to Large (4d6), Huge is 4d6+6, Gargantuan 4d6+12 and Colossal 4d6+18 making adjustments as necessary.

I think you should consider increasing your SIZ scale.

Your "colossal" creatures have an average of SIZ 32, which in canonical BRP is between a horse (SIZ 25 to 30) and an elephant (SIZ 45 to 50), but half the score of a dragon (SIZ 65 to 70). :)

I think you should consider increasing your SIZ scale.

Your "colossal" creatures have an average of SIZ 32, which in canonical BRP is between a horse (SIZ 25 to 30) and an elephant (SIZ 45 to 50), but half the score of a dragon (SIZ 65 to 70). :)

Yeah, Ok, haven't needed to do one yet so that may need a bit of tweaking. Well, a lot really. But you get the drift.

It seems to me SIZ/CON should just be set to whatever is required to get the HPs right.

But what is the 'right' value for HPs?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

• 2 weeks later...

That would depend on how much of a threat you want it to be. Let's say you have a party of 5 characters that have attack skills in the 75% or better range, they are likely to do 5-10 points of damage per hit less armour, so say the creature takes 6 points from each hit (these numbers are rough as) that's about 30 points per round. If I can borrow some D&D 4E references, if the creature is a solo meant to take on the whole party it would need around 90 or so HP, possibly more. If you have several of the creatures (5) then something around 12-18 would be about right. I don't think there is a right or wrong, so long as any encounters are fun and challenging for the players. If you do pit them against something really hard, make sure they have an escape route, just in case they need it.