Build a Better Monster Contest, Part II

seneschal

Godzilla

The horrible result of atomic radiation mutating a previously unknown type of prehistoric reptile; this creature is a force of pure destruction and elemental chaos.

STR 160

CON 200

SIZ 300

INT 5

POW 12

DEX 15

HP 250

Damage

Bonus +21D6

Weapon: % Damage

Stomp 100% 100+DB

Tail Sweep 100% 50+DB

Fiery Atomic

Breath 80% 5d10+3d6

Armor: 30 points for scaly hide.

Combat Notes:

Stomp: Anything caught beneath Godzilla's ponderous feet is flattened. The area covered by each colossal foot is roughly 30 meters in diameter.

Tail Sweep: Every five rounds Godzilla can sweep an area in a rear 180º arc, out to 500 meters with his tail; which effectively obliterates everything in its path.

Breath: Godzilla can spew forth an incandescent plume of radioactive gas one every 12 rounds. This gas pours forth in a 1000 meter cone. This is an area attack, with an effected area of some 50 meters in diameter.

Radiation: Just being in close proximity to this radioactive behemoth can be dangerous. Within 30 meters of the great beast the POT of the radiation is 10. At his scaly hide the POT is 15.

Movement: Stride 30/ Swim 48.

• Like 1

I'm a Godzilla fan, too. Love the write-up, 1d8+DB. :)

Minor quibble: SIZ 300 is waaaaay too small. Kaiju fan sites list most monsters at 20,000 to 25,000 tons or more. Whether you choose short tons or metric, Godzilla and friends are literally off the chart when one consults the Extended SIZ Table in the Big Gold Book. Basic Roleplaying just wasn't designed with critters that massive in mind. Even the Mythos entities in Call of Cthulhu are midgets in comparison. That's why I've said in other threads that a Godzilla-Cthulhu match is a non-starter. Godzilla would eat Old Squidface as an appetizer, then go slap around King Ghidora for the main course. They don't call him the King of Monsters for nothing. =O

For practical game mechanics purposes, though, SIZ 300 is probably "big enough." The extra pounds per square inch wouldn't matter if you've already been squashed paper-thin.

Goji is one of the reasons why I've been learing towards keeping the doubling progression for SIZ in BRP..

According to the extended SIZ table, A 20,000 ton Goji, would be SIZ 2000 or so, but only around SIZ 157 with the doubling progression. And the 50, 000 ton Goji of the latter pictures likewise shirnks from SIZ 5000 down to a more manageable SIZ 168.

Another nice thing about the smaller SIZes and DBs is that the big monsters (DaiKAiju) would be able to soak hits from each other. Something that they really can't do witht he higher SIZes.

One worry I have about 1d8+1d6's stats is that Goji isn't strong enough to lift another Goji- something that the monsters do to each other all the time in the films. Gojira has body slammed thKing Ghidorah on more than one occasion (even if it is stock footage), and Ghidorah is bigger and heavier.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• 2 weeks later...

According to 'The Official Godzilla Compendium' by J.D. Lees and Marc Cerasini, the Big G (as at 1995) weighs in at 60,000 tonnes, Mothra at 22,000 tonnes, and King Ghidorah at 88,000 tonnes. Biollante beats the lot, weighing 200,000 tonnes! Maybe we should start talking in units like KiloSiz? It'd make the numbers easier when they go one on one, but allow us to equate the SIZ correctly when we scale down to people-size... I'm not sure I have enough D6's for Godzilla's DB if we were to use 2000 as a SIZ ;D

No power in the 'Verse can stop me ;D

Well, having gone down this road awhile back with vehicle design, I can offer a few possible solutions, but IMO the best is probably to ditch the "official" SIZ table past SIZ 90 or so, and just continue with the doubling progression. Why?

1)The official table has some errors in in

2)Even the authors didn't stick to it when he wrote up the large (SIZ100+) vehicles in the BRP book. Check out the size for battleships and carriers.

3)Continuing the doubling progression would keep the numbers lower, the dice down, and the math easier.

4) Continuing the progression would allow Gojira to be able to pick up Ghirdorah on the resistance table.

5) Continuing the doubling progression will mean that you don;t have to change the values for over 99% of what is already out there, since 99% of what is out there has STR/SIZ of 88 or less.

Some other good solutions are to tweak the SIZ formula. +10 per doubling has a lot of advantages, as does a few others, but they would require redoing what already exists.

The geometric rate described in Atgxtg's post above works for me. It allows upscale beasties with enough granularity to distinguish between them, AND allows Cthulhu (210) to beat the snot out of Gojira (170). Continuing the progression to the nth degree (because I could :D ), allows us to the size of planets and stars without exceeding 1000 SIZ (Sol itself is SIZ 768 (assuming I got my formulae right).

For reference (like anyone would even care :D ), the mass of the Universe has an estimated upper limit of SIZ 1566...

As well as V'ger, the Whale probe from Star Trek IV, the mothership and saucers from Independence Day, Mothra, Ghidorah, Gamera (if you like turtles), and the asteroid from Armageddon.... I was trying to work out the SIZ of Apokalips from the last episode of Smallville, just to work out quite how strong Superman actually is... (for reference, Superman actually pushed the whole damn planet out of the Solar System)

One of the neat freebies of putting everything on a consistent scale is that a bunch of monsters from various sources, end up with STR and SIZ scores that are all reasonably close to each other. A Gthulu vs. Gojira smackdown is now possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Gojira!

Here is a early draft of what Gojira (Godzilla) would look like in BRP assuming we continue the +8 doubling progression used at the low end of the SIZ table.

Gojira (early Showa series)

STR: 170

CON: 110

SIZ: 156

Hit Points: 133

Armor: 57

Damage Bonus: +19D6

Attacks:

Claw 100% 1D6+19D6

Bite 75% 3D6+19D6

Trample 75% 38D6 (can trample prone fores, or erect foes up to SIZ 51)

Tail Lash 60% 10D6 (area effect sweep attack)

Atomic Breath 90% 15D6 (fire/heat)

Edited by Atgxtg

I've got a copy of your earlier SIZ musings. Do you have a new, improved and complete revised SIZ chart (with bleach and mountain-fresh scent)?

No, no, no, no, and yes. What I got is a very old SIZ table that continues a pre-existing progression.

THe normal RQ3 SIZ table is used as the basis for the SIZ tables in CoC, and BRP. On the table, SIZes from 8-88 use a logrymic double progression. Every doubling of the mass equal +8.

50kg is SIZ 8, 100kg is SIZ 16, 200kg is SIZ 24, and do on. Then after SIZ 88 the table jerks around in fits and starts and is practically useless. After SIZ 330, the SIZ is 1/10th the weight (in short tons).

Now, Showa-era GOjira has a mass of 20,000 tons. If we assume those are metric tons (most likely as his other measurements are given in meters), then he would weight about 22100 short tons, and be SIZ 2210. Since we know he can body slam King Ghidoran, who has a mass of 30,000 tons, we can work out GOji's STR at around 3315. Now those numbers are a bit hard to work with, as would Gojira +344D6 damage bonus, not to mention his very high armor score (about 1000 points if he is to fight other giant monsters).

But, if we just continue the doubling progression used from SIZ 8-88 beyond SIZ 88 we get much more user friendly values (see Goji's stats above), and a consistent progression in SIZ, STR and damage bonus. We now know that something that something 32 SIZ larger than another something, is 16 times the mass and weight, no matter what SIZ you you are dealing with.

Erasamus and I have been using that progression to write up Kaiju stats, and one thing we noticed is that the doubling scale makes it much easier for the Kaiju to interact with each other. Hojira with a mass of 20,000 ton (SIZ 156) and STR 170 (lift about 62,000 tons), can go to the resistance table with a 40,000 ton MechGojira (SIZ 165) which he couldn't do with the linear scale used in BRP.

We might have to fudge hit points a bit for vehicles using this scale (probably makes sense since a ton of steel is tougher than a ton of flesh), but otherwise it seems to work out nicely.

I've got a copy of your earlier SIZ musings. Do you have a new, improved and complete revised SIZ chart (with bleach and mountain-fresh scent)?

BTW, SIZ table aside, how does the Goji write up look?

I've been thinking of trying to do a 1/10th scale like BRP mecha. Something like:

Goji (mecha scale)

Mecha STR: 17

Mecha CON: 11

Mecha SIZ: 16

Mecha HP: 17

Mecha Armor: 6

Mecha db: +2D6

Attacks:

Claw: 2D6

Bite: 1+2D6

Trample 4D6

Tail Lash 1D6

Atomic Breath: 1D6+1D3

I thought your Godzilla write-up was good as far as it went, although the residual radiation damage from the previous Godzilla version was a nice touch. Action! System did something similar to your mecha scale system when Firefly Games wrote Monster Island: The Game of Giant Monster Combat. The other stats were the same, but STR scaled differently (but consistently, and you could do a conversion). It kept things manageable.

The scaling is a 1/10th factor, and an attempt to bring it in line with the not-as yet realeased BRP Mecha. Naturallt since I don't have BRP Mecha the results are suspect, although the stats look more playable that rolling 20D6.

BTW, my associate in Kaiju terror was wondering if you are interested in the adjusteed SIZ table. It's much simpler, and logical than what he got now.

• 4 weeks later...

Killer Tomatoes

Sources: Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (1978), Return of the Killer Tomatoes (1988), Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (1990 TV show)

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes Theme Song - YouTube

Genetically modified vegetables turned on their human consumers in 1970s southern California, endangering San Jose and San Diego, among other communities. The country survived the onslaught because scientists discovered that the killer tomatoes are vulnerable to certain musical tones. Although it was unknown at the time, Professor Mortimer Gangreen, horticulturist supreme and classic mad scientist, had intentionally created the killer tomatoes. Ten years later, he made a second attempt at botanical invasion by transforming his fruity fiends into human form via music. His third scheme thwarted in 1991, Gangreen was imprisoned but his spherical minions broke him out the following year. He fled to France, where he attempted to use a tomato army to make himself king.

How do tomatoes manage to be effective predators without visible sensory organs, limbs, means of locomotion, or mouths? Never mind, just run! In the early stages of their life cycle, killer tomatoes are indistinguishable in size and coloration from ordinary grocery store produce – um, except for the fact that they growl, climb sheer surfaces like snails, leap like squirrels, and are voracious pack hunters. After numerous successful hunts, they reach the size of sports balls or large pumpkins, less effective at climbing but much faster on level terrain. Once they reach 60-80 pounds or more, killer tomatoes become solitary, swift ground hunters and begin acquiring sentience. Rare specimens, veterans of many kills, ultimately gain human-level intelligence and a frightening resistance to physical damage. These monsters can range from 500-800 pounds.

Small/Medium

STR 1D6 (4)

CON 2D6 (7)

SIZ 1D3 (2)

INT 5

POW 3D6 (10)

DEX 3D6+6 (17)

Move: 6, swim 4

Hit Points: 5

Damage Bonus: -1D6

Armor: None

Attacks: Bite 70%, 1D6 + 1/2 DB

Skills: Climb 70%, Dodge 60%, Hide 60%, Jump 65%, Knowledge (Pack Tactics) 40%, Sense 65%, Stealth 50%, Swim 40%, Track 50%

Large

STR 3D6 (11)

CON 2D6+6 (13)

SIZ 2D6+6 (13)

INT 1D6+2 (6)

POW 3D6 (11)

DEX 3D6 (11)

Move: 10, swim 6

Hit Points: 13

Damage Bonus: +0

Armor: 3 (fibrous peel)

Attacks: Bite 70%, 1D8 + ½ DB; Trample 55%, 1D6 + DB

Skills: Climb 40%, Dodge 60%, Hide 60%, Jump 55%, Sense 65%, Stealth 70%, Swim 40%, Track 65%

Huge

STR 3D6+10 (20-21)

CON 2D6+6 (13)

SIZ 3D6+10 (20-21)

INT 2D6+3 (10)

POW 3D6 (10-11)

DEX 3D6 (10-11)

Move: 12, swim 8

Hit Points: 17 (34 SIZ+CON)

Damage Bonus: +1D6

Armor: 8 (fibrous peel)

Attacks: Bite 70%, 1D10 + 1/2DB; Trample 60%, 2D6 + DB

Skills: Climb 25%, Dodge 40%, Hide 40%, Jump 35%, Sense 70%, Stealth 70%, Swim 40%, Track 65%

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown (got it for christmas) and these buggers just wiped out my whole team...

CHRYSSALID - Xenomorph

Chryssalids are fast melee units.

Their Implant attack is particularly dangerous.

Their corpses can be used to make Chitin Vests.

Groups (or herds) of Chryssalids are dropped into heavily populated areas with the intention of implanting their eggs in as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

They have four spear like legs and two clawed hands giving them a formidibale selection of weapons to utilise in hand to hand combat.

Their jumping ability and rapid movement make them a difficult foe to avoid but their lack of missile weapons means that they do have to rush your position. This can give you a chance to take them out before they attempt to impregnate you. But you will only have one chance...

Alien Life Forms (EU2012) - UFOpaedia

.......Min.......Max.......Ave.......Dice

STR..9..........24..........16.5.....3d6+6.....MOV.....15.....Effort 82.5

CON..9..........24..........16.5.....3d6+6.....HP.....14.75.....Stamina 82.5

SIZ...8..........18..........13........2d6+6.....FAT.....33.....Dam Mod +1d4

INT...2..........12..........7..........2d6........MP.....10.5.....Idea 35

POW..3..........18..........10.5.....3d6........Dex SR.....2.....Luck 52.5

DEX...9..........24..........16.5.....3d6+6.....Siz SR.....2.....Agility 82.5

APP...1..........6..........3.5........1d6..............................Charisma 17.5

EDU...1..........6..........3.5........1d6..............................Know 17.5

Location.....Melee .......Missile .......Hp.................Ap Armor

RR.Leg.......01-02 .......1..............4.......0.25.......4 Chitin

LR.Leg.......03-04 .......2..............4.......0.25.......4 Chitin

Thorax.......05-08 .......03-04........6.......0.4.........6 Chitin

Chest........09-12 .......05-13........7.......0.45.......6 Chitin

RF.Leg.......13-14 .......14..............4.......0.25......4 Chitin

LF.Leg.......15-16 .......15..............4.......0.25......4 Chitin

R.Arm........17............16..............3.......0.2........4 Chitin

L.Arm.........18...........17..............3.......0.2........4 Chitin

Head..........19-20.......18-20.........5.......0.33......6 Chitin

Weapon.......SR.......A%.......Dam......Ap

Bite..............3.......45.........1d4.......6

Claw.............2.......55.........1d6.......4

Stamp...........1.......60.........1d8.......4

Skills

Climb 35

Dodge 50

Hide 50

Jump 75

Listen 35

Sense 50

Spot 35

Stealth 50

Track 50

Notes:

Stun Immune: This unit cannot be stunned; taking a live specimen is almost possible.

Leap: Allows vertical leaps onto elevated surfaces during movement. Chryssalid can Leap DEX in meters in any direction.

Poisonous Claws: "Poison enemies wounded by a melee attack." A claw attack includes a POT (POW) poison attack versus victims CON.

Bite: Victims are implanted with a Chryssalid egg if they are killed by a bite attack. A successful implant converts the victim into a zombie 1d6 rounds later that eventually hatches into another Chryssalid 1d6 turns after that. Killing the zombie prevents this transformation from occurring.

Hardened: Chryssalids have a hard chitinous casing.

SAN LOSS

Seeing a Chryssalid 0/1 SAN Loss

Seeing a Chryssalid victim turn into a Zombie 1/4 SAN Loss

Seeing a victim explode and produce a new Chryssalid 1/6 SAN Loss

Edited by MrJealousy

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Haven't seen Enemy Unknown but have played the original X-COM. The game's aliens are just plain grim foes, even the low-level ones. My "successful" missions involved a lone survivor limping back to base, often without alien corpses or gear to show for it. There was a critter in the original game that turned dead soldiers into snot zombies. Ewwww!

Haven't seen Enemy Unknown but have played the original X-COM.
I played the original too! This new one seems to be quite similar to it, more so than other offerings in the franchise...

My "successful" missions involved a lone survivor limping back to base...
sounds familiar.

There was a critter in the original game that turned dead soldiers into snot zombies. Ewwww!
and that sounds like the Chryssalid. They're difficult to deal with and they don't even shoot at you!

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

• 2 months later...

The Beast Things

Source: Andre Norton, Daybreak 2250 A.D aka Star Man’s Son, Harcourt, Brace and Sons, 1952

Some post-apocalyptic settings have a mutant under every bush (and sometimes including the bush). Andre Norton’s Daybreak 2250 A.D. is much more modest but it does include several eerie radiation-spawned creatures. The Beast Things are the novel’s primary threat to a re-emerging human civilization, feral inhabitants of American cities abandoned or destroyed some 200 years before. Apparently descended from rats, Beast Things are wiry gray humanoids of skeletal, exaggeratedly elongated thinness and foul smell. Their spidery hands possess sharp claws, and their muzzles are equipped with fangs more canine than rodent-like. Well-organized nocturnal pack hunters, they possess human or near-human intelligence and are able to build fires, pit traps with which to slay unwary human explorers – and darts, which they can hurl with deadly accuracy. They have domesticated large rats, which they use as hunting animals. They eat anything or anyone they can catch, regardless of sentience. They speak a growling, guttural language unrelated to any known human speech. They are cruel captors and tend to spoil or destroy any human possessions they don’t understand (that is, pretty much anything except hand-to-hand weapons). They dwell in the lower levels and basements of moldering skyscrapers, and presumably in tunnels beneath. Traditionally they tended to keep to their ruined cities, but they are growing bolder – exploring and stalking prey far from their usual urban haunts. They always travel in groups of at least four to six individuals. If an adventurer glimpses one, there is a squad of others nearby that he hasn’t seen.

STR 3D6 (10-11)

CON 3D6+4 (14-15)

SIZ 1D6+6 (9-10)

INT 3D6 (10-11)

POW 3D6 (10-11)

DEX 3D6+6 (16-17)

Move: 10

Hit Points: 12

Damage Bonus: +1D4

Armor: 2 (leathery skin)

Attacks: Bite 30%, 1D8+1/2db; Claws 40%, 1D6+db; Dart 55%, 1D6+1/2db

Skills: Climb 50%, Jump 45%, Hide 60%, Knowledge (Pack Tactics) 35%, Listen 30%, Sense 70%, Spot 3%, Stealth 60%, Throw 55%, Track 45%

Edited by seneschal
  • Like 1