DEVIL'S GULCH - Basic Roleplaying Adventures in the Weird Wild West

Trifletraxor

What? I thought this book was only describing a town tied with a scenario or two.

It's able to cover a lot of ground in the twelve pages it has dedicated to rules and such. The rest of the some 80 odd pages are dedicated to Devil's Gulch and its surroundings. Devil's Gulch doesn't go into near as much detail on running a western as Aces High does. What it does do is provide a skeleton for a game as well as introduce some really cool character types and rules as well as a fleshed out setting to place adventures. Devil's Gulch + BGB does equal a complete [weird] western game.

Aces High is a great book as well and one would be hard to go amiss consulting both to run a [weird] west game.

70/420

• 1 year later...

I was just wondering. Sitting here and planning a new Weird West campaign but this time I decided to use Devil's Gulch+BGB as basis for the character creation. Ofcourse I will use Aces High to support the Weird West campaign. But what has come up is in which categories the new skills are? Anyone know this? It is mostly because I use the category modifier option and want to know which one to apply to the new skills.

Animal Handling I was a bit divided between Mental and Physical but since Ride is already under Physical and I felt Animal Handling is more knowledge based so I will probably put it among the Mental skills.

Gun Spinning & Quick Draw. These two are the hardest choice and I am still not sure about their placement. Quick Draw I am pretty sure will go into Combat category since it is very combat related. Gun Spinning on the other hand I am leaning toward placing them in Physical or Manipulation category.

What do you guys think? Or if the author is reading this what does he think? ;D

... Gun Spinning on the other hand I am leaning toward placing them in Physical or Manipulation category.

I'd be inclined to make it a Manipulation skill. Physical skills seem to be more about the whole body, manipulation is more about fingers and hand stuff. Not that my cowboys do any of that nambypamby stuff! Pull a gun, shoot someone. That's what i say :) It's poetry...

Edited by MrJealousy

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

I'd be inclined to make it a Manipulation skill. Physical skills seem to be more about the whole body, manipulation is more about fingers and hand stuff. Not that my cowboys do any of that nambypamby stuff! Pull a gun, shoot someone. That's what i say :) It's poetry...

That was actually what I was leaning towards myself with the same thoughts you have. Of course there is some showoffs that try to to impress the ladies with that "nambypamby stuff". But we all know what happens as soon as they encounter a real gunslinger. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Do either of the mentioned books have info on horses, saddles, guns of the period, and so on? How much of Devil's Gulch is about the town (the part I doubt I'd use much) and how much is basic info for the Old West setting (the part I'd use)?

Is there anything about these that could displace my Boot Hill (3rd ed.)?

Got no use for "Weird West."

Aces High have a nice equipment list of weapons and general equipment available but the rest of the book is aimed mostly Weird West, despite that I have still found a lot of usable material for non-weird west. Mostly the equipment lists, very nice bestiary separating the natural and not so natural creatures from each other and the general world stuff like towns, weather, maps and such.

Devil's Gulch is very usable even if you want to skip the Weird West part and only run regular Old West adventures. Not much info on equipment except some minor notes how to use the stuff in the BGB with some options. Devil's Gulch has the Weird West stuff clearly marked and separated from the main text for those who doesn't wanna use it. Even the first adventure is usable in a regular Old West but the second adventure is not so much. Basically everything except the last adventure in Devil's Gulch is usable in a regular Old West.

I am not familiar with Boot Hill so can't help you there.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

264261402_DevilsGulchSale.png.c4e3ee10cc334e6bb7316aeb1ad94ac7.png

DEVIL'S GULCH might be a BRP supplement, but lends itself seamlessly for Call of Cthulhu's Down Darker Trails setting. You get a complete town and cast of characters, ideal as a base of operations for your Wild or Weird West campaign.

And now it's only $7.99 (53% off) in our 'Stay at Home' spring-cleaning sale. US and UK warehouse only. Includes PDF. While stocks last.

https://www.chaosium.com/devils-gulch