Q: Mythic Britain (Viking Age), should I get Mythic Iceland?

LandoTheArchmagi

I'm thinking of doing a Mythic Britain (Viking Age) type game so is the Mythic Iceland book/pdf worth getting or should I just do my own stuff converting Viking material from other TTRPG and lore/mythology?   Also would you recommend recommend using BRP or Magic World?  I did just buy Magic World/Magic Book/Advanced Sorcery pdfs for $14 or so off DriveThruRPG.  

• Like 1

Mythic Iceland is well worth getting for extra flavour and advice on how to do things. You might need to adapt things for Vikings in Britain. 

10 hours ago, LandoTheArchmagi said:

Also would you recommend recommend using BRP or Magic World?

Personally, I prefer BRP to Magic World, as I am not that keen on Stormbringer-style mechanics.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

Mythic Iceland is well worth getting for extra flavour and advice on how to do things. You might need to adapt things for Vikings in Britain. 

Personally, I prefer BRP to Magic World, as I am not that keen on Stormbringer-style mechanics.

Thanks, I'll consider getting Mythic Iceland then.  I love Stormbringer/Elric, but it probably doesn't really fit a more Norse fantasy type setting so will look at the generic BRP rules and throw in stuff from the Magic Book if I think it fits.

• Like 1

The RQ3 Vikings boxed set would be useful too, though not sure it's easily available. It has a number of scenarios based in Norway but easily moved to Britain.

ICE Campaign Classics Vikings is also a useful sourcebook but again probably difficult to find.

Mongoose Vikings of Legend is interesting for a more 'heroic' campaign. Likely difficult to find too though

Design Mechanism Waterlands and Logres is useful for Saxon information (although set in 500CE)but scenarios could be adapted and happily both are available still

I'm with @soltakss... BRP would be my choice of rule system but elements from both could be interesting 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 12/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, Nozbat said:

The RQ3 Vikings boxed set would be useful too, though not sure it's easily available. It has a number of scenarios based in Norway but easily moved to Britain.

ICE Campaign Classics Vikings is also a useful sourcebook but again probably difficult to find.

Mongoose Vikings of Legend is interesting for a more 'heroic' campaign. Likely difficult to find too though

Design Mechanism Waterlands and Logres is useful for Saxon information (although set in 500CE)but scenarios could be adapted and happily both are available still

I'm with @soltakss... BRP would be my choice of rule system but elements from both could be interesting 

You can pick up Vikings of legend at both the Mongoose site and via DTRPG if you're so minded

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 8:57 AM, Nozbat said:

I'll take a look for RQ3 Vikings and the Mongoose material.  I actually own the ICE Vikings supplement and the Mythic Britain/Logres/etc books as I bought them years ago to run a Mythras/Mythic Britain campaign, although, it is set much earlier timeline wise.  Grabbed the BRP book on the .99 sale off DTRPG.

• Like 1