Should I buy Classic Fantasy?

AndrewMorton

Ok, this is the question - should I get Classic fantasy?

I want to run an Iron-age type fantasy world (sort of like the original RunQuest). I don't want to use Runequest because the only copy of the rules I have is the Mongoose RQ version and the magic sucks.

I have the BRP rules and the basic creatures supplement - do I really need the Classic Fantasy supplement or could I cobble something together from what I have?

What is the magic like in the classic fantasy supplement?

your help or comments would be appreciated and most welcome.

thank you.

No Gods - No Masters

You can definitely cobble - but it depends on what you expect in terms of magic. As you know, BRP has Magic and BRP Sorcery. If those magic systems suit your taste, then you needn't look further.

Classic Fantasy is a tool for emulating AD&D using the BRP ruleset. It has spells that re-create classic Magic User and Cleric spells from D&D. It's good for D&D-like fantasy.

If you want something more like RuneQuest you could pick up the Basic Magic monograph for BRP, which is a recreation of the RQ3 magic chapter (with Spirit, Divine, and RQ Sorcery (different from BRP Sorcery) magic systems) and more or less run RQ3 with just those two books.

Also, OpenQuest does a good job of emulating a simplified RQ3 (with no hit locations, for instance) and I think the SRD is available for free. It's a complete game on its own.

MRQ2 would probably also suit (much different from MRQ1, especially in terms of magic and combat, and more polished a game). It offers a complete game system and also has Divine Magic and RQ Sorcery. Spirit magic is there, too, but has been divided into Common Magic (for the spells) and Spirit Magic (for the shamanistic elements) - so in effect you get 4 magic systems with this game.

Lastly, there's Cthulhu Dark Ages, which takes Call of Cthulhu back to about 1000AD. Its a stand alone game that can be used to run an Iron Age fantasy, and the magic system offered therein is the more ritual type magic from CoC.

So there you have it - six options for running an Iron Age fantasy, depending on what you think your Iron Age fantasy should look like.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Apologies to threedeesix, it's author, but - no. (Not for that Iron Age campaign, anyway).

CF is for if you want to play something reminiscent of AD&D. (But with the worst bits of rules excised).

The basic rules of original RuneQuest (Chaosium RQ2, I assume) can be simulated with the appropriate BRP options, right there in the book. (Anyone care to specify which?)

If you're really after that RQ2 feel, though, there are (sadly) many aspects BRP misses out. But - you should be able to pick up a real RQ2 book on eBay for less than a tenner. (I have, in readiness for a campaign soon with newbie players...)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

What about I just use OpenQuest - is it any good? It seems to be getting good reviews.

Isn't it based on MRQ1, the sucky one?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Isn't it based on MRQ1, the sucky one?

It evolved from MRQ1 in that it used the MRQ1 SRD as a means to build a publishable game more reminiscent of RQ3 (or RQ2 - I can't remember). I think it's more like RQ3 and MRQ, but then I haven't read it in a long time. Somewhere around here is a thread which describes what it offers in detail. It was an attempt to readjust MRQ1 to make it more like what older RQ players wanted. And a successful one, I think.

It will give you a game similar to older RQ editions, but probably with a slightly less gritty feel.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

OpenQuest is nothing like RQ3. It is based off the MRQ1 SRD but it is a radical simplification of it. It is nearer something like Call of Cthulhu in that it doesn't use locations or strike ranks however it retains the RQ tradition of three types of magic (common, divine and sorcery) and assumes that everyone has access to some common magic. The skills list is significantly pared down (for example all combat skills are replaced by just two skills - close and ranged - if I remember correctly) and it uses many of the MRQ innovations - e.g. Improvement rolls rather than experience checks, Hero Points, no resistance table, criticals as 1/10 normal success. OpenQuest is very much its own thing with a design brief to be faster and simpler than its ancestors.

OpenQuest is nothing like RQ3. It is based off the MRQ1 SRD but it is a radical simplification of it. ...

It evolved from MRQ1 in that it used the MRQ1 SRD as a means to build a publishable game...

Thanks, gents. I have looked-over OQ, but didn't find it memorable. I was unimpressed and was just left thinking it was too MRQ-ish for me. It's free, but I still recommend buying original RQ2.

Do you need to? No.

Is it worth it? Propbably yes.

The magic may not be of use to you, but many of the spells could be slotted into a "standard" campign, especially for NPCs.

The class and alignment sections won't be of use.

Load level & Fatigue, equipment, potion rules, and many of the Spot Rules may be very useful.

I believe it is a good general resource for GMs planning "traditional" (i.e go into dungeon and defeat the bad guys) style adventures.

Ok, this is the question - should I get Classic fantasy?

I want to run an Iron-age type fantasy world (sort of like the original RunQuest). I don't want to use Runequest because the only copy of the rules I have is the Mongoose RQ version and the magic sucks.

I have the BRP rules and the basic creatures supplement - do I really need the Classic Fantasy supplement or could I cobble something together from what I have?

What is the magic like in the classic fantasy supplement?

your help or comments would be appreciated and most welcome.

thank you.

I don't know anything about Classic Fantasy, but I can give you my opinion on 5 BRP-based fantasy games :

Avalon Hill RuneQuest 3: This one has been my favorite for 15 years. It might look very complicated at first, but you can remove a lot of rules without effect on game balance. It has very good divine spirit and divine magic sytems, but its sorcery needs to be reworked.

Elric!: A good game, but I really don't like its magic system.

Mongoose RuneQuest 1: I think this is the one you own. There are a few good ideas, but I agree it has too many flaws to work correctly...

OpenQuest : Quite a good game. Basically, it is MRQ1 with less skills and a simplified version of AHRQ3 magic system. Too bad some aspects of MRQ1 remains, especially in Sorcery

Mongoose RuneQuest 2: My favourite of the 5 games by far. From my point of view, the authors took MRQ1, examined all aspects of the game and fixed every bug in it. The few improvements are still there, but everything else is new. For instance, you will only need 1 skill to cast common magic spells, and can be a decent sorcerer with only 2 or 3 skills. Personnally, the only problem I have with it is the localized hit points, definitely not my taste. But it has an optional system for generic hit points.

Guest Vile Traveller

You can also wait a while for Glyphmaster to be done. It's basically an RQ2 retro-clone, using the MRQ1 SRD to recreate the RQ2 rules (without the Gloranthan references, of course). It was born out of a desire to have a free, current set of rules available to people who wanted to play the Gloranthan Classics reprints which are now available on PDF. Rules-wise, it will be identical to the original RQ2, although we're fixing any errata and inconsistencies (there aren't many).

Unfortunately I don't think you'll see it this side of Christmas - there's only so much time people have available for a labour of love! wub.gif

For what you're looking at doing specifically? Probably not. Unless your cobbling efforts involve using the Magic (not Sorcery) rules from the Big Gold Book, in which case all the additional spells are bound to come in handy.

Because it's freaking awesome, full of great stuff, and Rod (aka threedeesix) deserves your support? Hell yes!

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

Well I downloaded a copy of OpenQuest and like what I see. It's not overly complex (nice, simple combat and skills list) and I can easily adapt it to fit what I'm up to. I will probably get Classic Fantasy as well as it will be a useful resource and I'm sure the spell list will be an inspiration.

Thanks for all your advice.

No Gods - No Masters