Harn in MRQII

HierophantX

That's actually proving to be my biggest challenge. How, exactly to handle Sorcery. I am treating Shek-Pvar as Sorcerers but some of the detail work is ....

My basic assumption is that a number of "runes" correpsond to certain convocations of the Pvaric wheel. And the issue of grimoires is semi-challenging because do I treat each convocation as a grimoire? That's too powerful (IMO). Under the Pvaric system, Mages become attuned to their convocation... ok how would that work in RQ? And then while you get a handful of spells from your master (a basic grimoire let's say), from that point on you're inventing spells and writing your own grimoire. So is that it? It's just opening a new skill?

HM-Religion is fairly straightforward. Agrik is a war-god associated with Fire. Most of the various invocations correspond to spells in the common or divine lists for RQ so no worries. At that point it's simply a matter of charting out the HM Gods and RQ-ing them and providing an appropriate spell list and a list of spells accessible to worshippers they can get from shrines and pilgrimages and what-not.

Chris

I'd say just make your own RQish rules for it, no need to follow the MRQ cannon. With my limited skill list, I have only one sorcery skill (Manipulation), which is more costly at char-gen than other skills and has a slower experience increase (1d4). Strength of spell a sorcerer can cast is limited to skill/20 rounded up (so you need 100% to cast the V spells). Sorcerers much chose a school, and can only learn spells from that school + neutral, also only create new spells within that domain.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I'd say just make your own RQish rules for it, no need to follow the MRQ cannon. With my limited skill list, I have only one sorcery skill (Manipulation), which is more costly at char-gen than other skills and has a slower experience increase (1d4). Strength of spell a sorcerer can cast is limited to skill/20 rounded up (so you need 100% to cast the V spells). Sorcerers much chose a school, and can only learn spells from that school + neutral, also only create new spells within that domain.

SGL.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you make one skill per magical school and allow neutral spells to default to a school? I dislike hard rules like 'only one school' -- This would allow characters to pick up additional schools but at the penalty of advancing more slowly, especially if you only allowed one school to get an experience check at a time (or made them research-only advancement).

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you make one skill per magical school and allow neutral spells to default to a school? I dislike hard rules like 'only one school' -- This would allow characters to pick up additional schools but at the penalty of advancing more slowly, especially if you only allowed one school to get an experience check at a time (or made them research-only advancement).

Basically because I'm running the setting pretty magic-light and like the idea of sorcerers in Hârn having their different domains. If you wanted to allow sorcerers to learn from all the schools, separate skills would be the way to do it.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.