Down Darker Yellow Brick Roads

Sam E.

Howdy, partners!

I'm definitely interested in picking up Down Darker Trails soon, and I had an idea to run something equal parts horror and weird fantasy / American fairy tales.  Having also read a number of the Land of Oz books, which can get downright creepy at times, I'm curious how much DDT might support a Western Oz mashup campaign.

From the previews, I'm seeing that Kansas is in the areas covered, at least according to the map.  An Oz-like area could be plopped into the middle of the west pretty easily, given the time period.  Various denizens of Oz could be created pretty easily as monsters / creatures.  Many of the PC-available character types (humans, tin men, pumpkinheads, etc.) could be statted out with the usual rules and a few trappings. I'm guessing most of the magical aspects of the land of Oz could be handled just fine with the usual CoC spells and devices.

So, some questions for those of you who own DDT.  Anything else in the book that might be especially useful?  Anything else that would be desperately needed from other CoC sources to make something like this work?  Any other ideas, brainstorming, spitballing?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While it hasn't been published yet, in one of the DDT adventure collections I put together many moons past, there is a sample setting of a fictional cowtown in Kansas; this is another mini-sandbox setting a la San Rafael and Pawheton in the DDT sourcebook, complete with NPCs, locations, secrets, sinister seeds, and so forth. One of the sinister seeds included (which I cheekily titled "Not in Kansas Anymore") involves a sorcerer from the Dreamlands whisking the PCs to Dreamland, setting up a sort of weird western fantasy campaign. Given Chaosium's chock-full release schedule, who knows when it will appear.

This sinister seedling was inspired by a series of Wild West Oz miniatures produced by Reaper miniatures. These figs also feature some steampunk elements, including partly-mechanical flying monkeys. And a gun-wielding Dorothy, of course.

• Helpful 2