Bouts of Madness Deck (Miskatonic Repository product)

Joe Kenobi

I'm excited to share that my collaborators and I have just released a Bouts of Madness Deck on DriveThruRPG via the Miskatonic Repository. This is a deck of 54 cards designed to replace the Real Time Bouts of Madness table: When an investigator suffers SAN loss such that a player would normally roll for an outcome on the table, the player instead draws a card from this deck and behaves accordingly.

We have released the deck with both physical print-on-demand and print-and-play PDF options. I'm probably biased, but I'm incredibly impressed by DriveThru's print job and the quality of the physical deck!

624240138_Examplephoto2.jpg.27a9fba08353360f1344729bb47b4745.jpg

To celebrate the release, we have discounted the physical deck by $2 through this Thursday, Jan. 5, via this link.

If you pick it up, please let us know what you think!

• Like 5

These look great! I'll probably order them for my Masks campaign. The only thing I'm noticing is that several seem to last much longer than a bout of madness normally would. 

Edit: Went ahead and ordered the deck. I figure I can always remove the ones I don't want in there. I can also sleeve them and add some custom bouts on paper (behind the card back).

Edited by Grimmshade
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

These look great! I'll probably order them for my Masks campaign. The only thing I'm noticing is that several seem to last much longer than a bout of madness normally would. 

Edit: Went ahead and ordered the deck. I figure I can always remove the ones I don't want in there. I can also sleeve them and add some custom bouts on paper (behind the card back).

Awesome--thanks for taking the plunge!

That's right, a number of them do last longer than a rulebook bout of madness. We concluded a handful of the less debilitating ones manifest better and are more fun to roleplay over a longer period of time. I'm happy to share:

• Almost half of the cards are either 1d10 or 2d10 rounds
  • 12 of them add a permanent effect -- the bulk of these are phobia- or mania-related. This also includes the Hidden Genius card, which is the only positive effect in the deck (we liked the idea of one "joker")
  • The remainder are either 1d10 hours or 1d10 days -- I just counted and it's 4 of them have the multi-day effect

Definitely our intent is to provide enough variety that Keepers feel comfortable picking and choosing to some extent, and pulling out cards they don't think will work well with their table or scenario.

I love that you're thinking of adding some of your own custom bouts, as well!

• Helpful 1

18 minutes ago, Joe Kenobi said:

Awesome--thanks for taking the plunge!

That's right, a number of them do last longer than a rulebook bout of madness. We concluded a handful of the less debilitating ones manifest better and are more fun to roleplay over a longer period of time. I'm happy to share:

• Almost half of the cards are either 1d10 or 2d10 rounds
  • 12 of them add a permanent effect -- the bulk of these are phobia- or mania-related. This also includes the Hidden Genius card, which is the only positive effect in the deck (we liked the idea of one "joker")
  • The remainder are either 1d10 hours or 1d10 days -- I just counted and it's 4 of them have the multi-day effect

Definitely our intent is to provide enough variety that Keepers feel comfortable picking and choosing to some extent, and pulling out cards they don't think will work well with their table or scenario.

I love that you're thinking of adding some of your own custom bouts, as well!

Looking forward to getting them! I think they will add a great option to our Masks campaign. This is the kind of product I love to own; there's something about cards and other fiddly bits.

• Like 1