Classic Runequest II Chaosium could it be reprinted with a different name?

skull

Haha. Oh wow. Such awful puns. :P

Your post got me looking into these retro-clones. I intend to look into Castles & Crusades, LoFP, Basic Fantasy RPG, and For Gold & Glory. I've played a bit of 2eAD&D, and I picked up the collector's edition AD&D1e reprints they put out a year or two ago (and have read but not played the 1e reprint) - and I remember thinking 1e didn't have much to draw me to it, and I recall 2e being a bit too clunky & not customizable enough. We'll see how it goes though, and I could be wrong.

I do like lots of 2e Adventures and Setting supplements, and converting them to 3.X can be a bit of a pain; If I don't end up liking any of the retro-clones, maybe some day I'll take a stab at my own AD&D/BD&D material-compatible retro-clone. I would be surprised if it ended up sharing any of the same rules though. I expect it would end up being a 3e/PF/4e/5e/T20/M&M3e/FC/13A inspired ruleset of some kind designed to produce statblocks with the same number patterns as used in AD&D 1e or 2e so I could pick up my Ravenloft/Faerun/Planescape stuff and run with it with more customization in character creation and without the things I recall being clunky in 2e.

But maybe Darkholme will be what I'll call the Pathfinder "Retro-Clone" type thing I've already started on and have been working on in my spare time for the past couple weeks, to integrate my extensive houserules into the core book for my home games.

Wow, did not expect that. Thank you.

Don't forget that Loz, and many others, have played older versions of RQ for a long time in the past, as well as Stormbringer/Elric/HawkMoon, so it is little wonder that older versions are fondly remembered.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Many ventures into the Elder Wilds, Devil's Playground, Copper Sands, Prax, Daggerford, Dragonspear Castle and a hundred different places are fondly remembered from that earlier time  Some were successes, others not so much but all were memorable and still much spoken of among the older gamers of my group(s). I'm not sure about the system bias of many gamers I speak to but I will say this, until you have gamed with a strong storyteller, judge not the system or the world but the experience.

If it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, it's not basic.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if Classic Runequest II chaosium version RPG could be reprinted with a different name?

Splice it with some Stormbringer fifth edition rules, but with a generic fantasy setting, and call it Rune World. :lol:  

• Like 1
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)