Swim movement rate ?

Agentorange

I've looked back and forth in the rulebook but have evidently failed my Spot the obvious skill roll. What is the base movement rate for humans when they are swimming ? it's not our normal mode of transport so I assume it's lower than the standard movement rate ?

Edited by Agentorange

A swimsuited, unencumbered human can on average manage 50m in 56 seconds. So that's a MOV of about 1. Professional swimmers about three times that. The basic advice is don't get into combat with aquatic creatures unless you've some magical support, and try not to fall into water. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

A swimsuited, unencumbered human can on average manage 50m in 56 seconds. So that's a MOV of about 1. Professional swimmers about three times that. The basic advice is don't get into combat with aquatic creatures unless you've some magical support, and try not to fall into water. 

MOV 1 works for me.I'm just surprised that we have a swim skill which has some rules around swimming...and nobody anywhere has said how fast ( or not ! ) a person can swim. As to why MOV 1 works for me here goes. I did find something in the old RQ3 rulebook which said that a person MOVes 3m per strike rank and there were 10 SR per melee round, so 30m per melee round. Under the RQ3 rules a person can swim 1m per 2 SR, so 5m per melee round. This gives us a 6:1 ratio. RQG MOV is 8 divide by 6 gives us 1.3 following the standard round up/round down rules that gives us a MOV of 1.

Der dum                  der dum               dum dum dum dum dum dum      dud a DA    😄

9 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Der dum                  der dum               dum dum dum dum dum dum      dud a DA    😄

Holiday Dorastor has tentacled sharks, in case normal sharks aren't dangerous enough.

I couldn't work out a way to get sharks with laserguns on their heads, though

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Holiday Dorastor has tentacled sharks, in case normal sharks aren't dangerous enough.

I couldn't work out a way to get sharks with laserguns on their heads, though

Gems sewn into their heads via evil chaotic priests that allow them to glare fire from the artificial third eye ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Agentorange said:

I'm just surprised that we have a swim skill which has some rules around swimming...and nobody anywhere has said how fast ( or not ! ) a person can swim.

The main rules for swimming were part of Griffin Mountain (Classic page 108), which cross references season and size of the river to be crossed giving a number of rolls (and swim roll deductions). Once you've seen this it's easy to say how long the crossing takes.

Few if any swam willingly in my campaigns.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

The main rules for swimming were part of Griffin Mountain (Classic page 108), which cross references season and size of the river to be crossed giving a number of rolls (and swim roll deductions). Once you've seen this it's easy to say how long the crossing takes.

I don't swim willingly in real life 😁 I can...bit it's not something I enjoy doing.

16 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Gems sewn into their heads via evil chaotic priests that allow them to glare fire from the artificial third eye ?

Hang on, I'm taking notes ...

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Any Sharknados?

Not yet, but who knows what Holiday Dorastor:Foulvale might bring?

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

Except ducks. We had one that willingly made a hole in our hull because the pirate ship that wanted to attack us was 'nicer'. Of course, the 2 other characters weren't able to swim, so we rowed and attacked. The duck swam to the pirate ship and attacked from the other side.

• Off Topic 1

15 minutes ago, soltakss said:
16 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Hang on, I'm taking notes ...

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Any Sharknados?

Not yet, but who knows what Holiday Dorastor:Foulvale might bring?

@Agentorange and @Bill the barbarian I'd love to use these ideas in Holiday Dorastor: Foulvale, am I OK to use them, while crediting you and sending you a free copy?

Sorry Scotty and Agent Orange, but here comes a bit of a thread drift...
but see, the shark is swimming... through the air... but swimming... honestly! Not sure of the movement rate but...

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

@Agentorange and @Bill the barbarian I'd love to use these ideas in Holiday Dorastor: Foulvale, am I OK to use them, while crediting you and sending you a free copy?

I would be foolish to turn down a free copy of a Simon Phipp's joint, but I have to say I had nothing to do with the idea... 

image.png.5d3655b44b2f630c7e73f47d00ac943d.png

You could send a free copy to the asylum.
Ah, screw it.. send me the copy!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Sorry Scotty and Agent Orange, but here comes a bit of a thread drift...
but see, the shark is swimming... through the air... but swimming... honestly! Not sure of the movement rate but...

I would be foolish to turn down a free copy of a Simon Phipp's joint, but I have to say I had nothing to do with the idea... 

You could send a free copy to the asylum.
Ah, screw it.. send me the copy!

Yeah, but it's sort of relevant thread drift isn't it ? it involves sharks...which swim...and the thread is about swimming , so it's ok