BRP Hardcover

kaddawang

I'm now jealous of A) BRP hardcover and B) your apparently immaculate office. :D

Don't be. If I pulled the camera back about three feet, you'd see a bicycle, some shoes and socks, an overfed tabby cat sprawled beneath the desk, at least five stacks of books, some children's toys, a few piles of unsorted mail, a sweatshirt on the floor, more electronic junk on the desk, and you would probably be forced to make at least one SAN roll.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason,

My apologies if this has been asked earlier, but I am too lazy to read the all the posts.

Does the Hardcover printing correct the errata of the softback?

Cheers

Damon

I sent some corrections to Charlie, and pointed him to the thread on this forum with typos/errata, but I haven't verified yet if they made it into the hardcover.

I sent some corrections to Charlie, and pointed him to the thread on this forum with typos/errata, but I haven't verified yet if they made it into the hardcover.

No rush but would be good if you could let us know at some point.

I'm sure sales would rocket as soon that errata is confirmed.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Ah damn. You had to go and post those pictures, Jason. I had convinced myself that I was fine with just the soft cover book. Now I'm thinking that the soft one is a bit beaten up now and I could really use that nice hardcover on my shelf...

70/420

No rush but would be good if you could let us know at some point.

I'm sure sales would rocket as soon that errata is confirmed.

I have the soft-cover, but if the hardcover edition is updated with errata I would definitely be picking it up in short order.

-Hans

Edited by hanszurcher

I don`t play monsters. I play men besieged by fate and out for revenge. ~Vincent Price

(Crossposted from another forum)

I've been pretty busy, with extended hours at work and being away from home every night this week, so it's been a bit difficult to find time at home to do much more than climb into bed, sleep, wake up, shower, and head out.

However, I managed to find some time this morning. I've done a spot check, and it looks like the edits I forwarded to Charlie in early October made it in.

I pointed him at the wikis from basicroleplaying.com and copies the contents for those as of 10/11/10.

I did a spot check, and some of those edits are in. I can't guarantee all of the fixes are in, but some are. I have looked for a few other things that weren't on that list (like Drive being mistakenly labeled a Manipulation skill on page 55), and that hasn't changed. Charlie may have made edits from other sources, or he may not have.

So, some stuff was fixed, some stuff wasn't.

The binding feels secure enough. It looks to be signature-bound, but I'm not 100% sure. The pages are semi-glossy, which I wasn't expecting. It lays flat on a table when open, which is a major win.

I'll find out how it handles in a game situation, when I play my Savage Tales of Solomon Kane game.

I've been running a bi-weekly game since last spring with a few friends. Currently, the group includes Ari Marmell, his wife George, my friend Jeb, Chris Pramas, and Jesse Scoble just joined us.

We were using the SW system because Ari and Jeb wanted to use it and learn it, but after quite a few mishaps in combat, the unpredictability of the system got the better of us and I'm switching us to BRP. I'll see if I can post the character sheet later today.

(Sadly, I just got an email that we have two illnesses in the group, so no game tonight.)

...We were using the SW system because Ari and Jeb wanted to use it and learn it, but after quite a few mishaps in combat, the unpredictability of the system got the better of us and I'm switching us to BRP...
LOL, I think that's the first time I've heard of someone switching to BRP to make combat MORE predictable!

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

LOL, I think that's the first time I've heard of someone switching to BRP to make combat MORE predictable!

Steve

It was a combination of the exploding dice and the way damage was handled. Combats were alternately frustrating or ridiculous.

I needed some more granularity in the way skills were handled, and I wanted to bring in more stuff from Call of Cthulhu (monsters and Sanity), so a switch to a streamlined BRP made more sense.

I can fully relate to what Jason is saying. When Realms of Cthulhu came out, we went "Wooooohhh! Cooool". During the first session the Investigators were encountering a Dark Young. I was thinking: "now, that will be fun and keep the players from advancing towards the story end too fast.". During the first rounds it was ok, though the thing killed one player straight away. But in round 3 or 4, one of the players got a lucky (!) shot with a 9mm pistol, killing my poor creature with just ONE shot!

We all sat there, puzzled, and discussing if I had missed something in the rules (other than ruling "this is not possible"). Nope, exploding dice, a valid thing in RoC. We looked at each other and put away the (beautiful) coloured RoC book and back it was: the dark, black and white printed, ink smelling CoC book. We dimmed the light again, made ourself comfy and ended the session after 3 more hours of play.

RoC was not the only thing we had bad experience with. Necropolis 2350 was somewhat different. These exploding dice were just too unpredictable. Not that I complain about deadlines, but killing a big Monster (a la Tyrannosaurus Rex) with a Derringer-kind-of-weapon was not realistic and just does not feel right. And it is one of the situations where it can just ruin the fun.

Enough of blaming SW ... I just wanted to say that BRP might not be the holy grail, but it is a very flexible and sturdy system that allows the GM to lead a campaign the way he wants it to be - without too many unwanted surprises. ;)

Edited by pansophy

These exploding dice were just too unpredictable. Not that I complain about deadlines, but killing a big Monster (a la Tyrannosaurus Rex) with a Derringer-kind-of-weapon was not realistic and just does not feel right. And it is one of the situations where it can just ruin the fun.

In our campaign, the Franciscan monk was often the deadliest member of the group, with his STR d4 using a staff (d4d4 damage) and his Fighting skill of d4. With a 25% chance of an exploding die every time he rolled one of those d4s, he was routinely achieving ludicrously high damage totals.

I can fully relate to what Jason is saying. When Realms of Cthulhu came out, we went "Wooooohhh! Cooool". During the first session the Investigators were encountering a Dark Young. I was thinking: "now, that will be fun and keep the players from advancing towards the story end too fast.". During the first rounds it was ok, though the thing killed one player straight away. But in round 3 or 4, one of the players got a lucky (!) shot with a 9mm pistol, killing my poor creature with just ONE shot!

I don't know. it seems to me that that's the reason you roll dice in rpgs. When the dice pull a crazy stunt then that's when you're challenged. I remember a whole campaign arc lasting two years being born from one fumble.

I guess if that happened, once I got over the shock of ok, what do I do now you start thinking. Why did it die? Is there some strange weakness? Is it really dead? Was there something unusual in the weapon? And how does the character respond? Do they believe themselves blessed? Will this make them more reckless? Do they have a story they can dine out on. All that kind of stuff.

As for the exploding stuff. An exploding d4 has a 1/8 chance of rolling 7+. An exploding d6 has a 1/6 chance of rolling 7+. An exploding d4 rolls 1-3 75% of the time, an exploding d6 rolls 1-3 50% of the time. A d4 explodes more often than a d6 which makes it *look* more dramatic. One of those times where the feel of a game is at variance with its numbers.

Might be you are right. Thing is, it simply happened too often - and not only to creatures but also to PCs who then felt disappointed. As long as the creatures die with one lucky shot there are no complains, but if it happens to PCs, and I mean t happens a lot, then people start thinking if it is the right game for them to play. For us it wasn't.

Anyway, back on topic ;) I hope the book comes out soon as I am already starting to save money for it.

The binding feels secure enough. It looks to be signature-bound, but I'm not 100% sure. The pages are semi-glossy, which I wasn't expecting. It lays flat on a table when open, which is a major win.

Awesomesauce. My softcover copy is on the verge of blowing its glue binding, so if it's signature-bound I'm all over that!

KoOS

Exploing dice can be a pain. Especially when they get so hot as to obliterate a PC. THere isn't much a player can do when what was supposedly 1D6 gives a result of 52.

I7m runnig a D6 Star Wars campaign, and that game uses a Wild Die D6, maning that 33% of the rolls are affected one way or another. I have to step in at times, especialy during the large battles, to keep a fluke roll from ending the campaign.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.