Elric of Melnibone MRQII vs MRQ

DamonJynx

Hi,

I'm moving away from BRP as my choice for Fantasy & Swords & Sorcery style games to MRQII, as I feel that is a better fit and requires less "tweaking".

My question is though, how much difference is there between the latest 2 versions of this game? I have the 2007 version, are there a lot of changes in the MRQII version? How significant are they?

I ask, because I don't have a heap of disposable income to be buying new books if there's not a lot of change etc.

MRQII is a huge improvement over MRQI. I have both, never played MRQI because I kept finding stuff that just didn't work. I've converted to MRQII because it worked well, and I keep finding bits that make me like it more. I have a couple of the MRQII Elric books, but not the MRQI versions that I can compare one-for-one.

So yes, I recommend moving to MRQII. I would be selective about which additional books to buy -- there have been a couple of poorly edited books, and I feel they vary a lot in quality.

Steve

Edited by sdavies2720

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I've never played MRQII, Elric or otherwise, because Mongoose came up with it not even a year after I bought the MRQ Elric books and I couldn't afford the switch. I agree with sdavies, the rules were not working very well, especially, in my opinion, the combat rules and, to a lesser extend, character creation (too heavy for my tastes.)

However, the MRQ Elric magic system was very good, I think. Pacts, summonings, dreamtheft and the whole rune magic/alchemy/necromancy rules from Magic of the Young Kingdoms all made it by far my favorite magic system.

From the comments I've read, combat is a very strong point in MRQII. I wonder if the magic rules are the same as in the old version?

Proud pen-and-paper roleplayer since 1991!

Blood and Souls for Lord Arioch!

However, the MRQ Elric magic system was very good, I think. Pacts, summonings, dreamtheft and the whole rune magic/alchemy/necromancy rules from Magic of the Young Kingdoms all made it by far my favorite magic system.

From the comments I've read, combat is a very strong point in MRQII. I wonder if the magic rules are the same as in the old version?

That's basically what I'm trying to find out. I know the combat will be different, it's more streamlined in MRQ2. Now you don't have a reaction for every CA, each defensive action uses one of your CA's (one of the major changes). I was more interested in the changes to the magic system. I play with a group of Power Gamers and I don't want to impose arbitrary restrictions, but I don't want starting adventurers to be overpowerful either.

Are you talking MRQII Elric specifically, or the generic magic rules?

I was refering to the generic MRQ2 magic rules.

However in MRQ2 Elric, Loz was able to re-insert the full version of our original magic system (with a few very minor refinements) which had been abridged in the previous edition. So technically that one is improved too, if only slightly. ;)

However in MRQ2 Elric, Loz was able to re-insert the full version of our original magic system (with a few very minor refinements) which had been abridged in the previous edition. So technically that one is improved too, if only slightly. ;)

So Pete, am I reading this right? The major changes in Elric MRQ2 are the combat system and an expanded magic system which is based on the general MRQ2 magic system.

Are there any other major changes? I noticed in the preview that the "Unknown East" is expanded on the map, is there much reference to it in the text, i.e. geographical, demographical, political and such like?

So Pete, am I reading this right? The major changes in Elric MRQ2 are the combat system and an expanded magic system which is based on the general MRQ2 magic system.

Combat Styles have been added, as have love/hate passion rules, and a few other minor things in Char Gen. The expanded magic system is not default MRQ2 magic. Its still the original bespoke system we wrote to emulate the Elric saga, I.e. the original vesion we did for Elric MRQ1, but with all the bells and whistles which had been previously hived off and placed into Magic of the Young Kingdoms, slightly tweaked to fix some tiny flaws.

Are there any other major changes? I noticed in the preview that the "Unknown East" is expanded on the map, is there much reference to it in the text, i.e. geographical, demographical, political and such like?

The major change to Elric MRQ2 is that the RQ game mechanics have been completely removed from the book. It is intended you buy MRQ2 to play it. Loz has filled this extra space with extra cultural details (yes, the UE is covered), expanded magic back to its intended length, added extra creatures and NPCs etc. All in all its a far more rounded and detailed settings book now.

Is that clearer?

Loz obviously could give a more detailed response but I think he's very busy at the moment.

As Pete says, the core sorcery is as for MRQ1 Elric. What you will find though, is...

• More streamlined chargen and new race options
  • Lots on the Unknown East
  • Two new regions: Cesh and Sered Oma (both from somewhat obscure Elric short stories, but canonical)
  • Tweaks to sorcery, and a beefing-up of dream magic
  • Introduction of spirit magic (the only RQII core magic system that goes into Elric)
  • A new demon
  • Additions to the approach to Law and Chaos - one need not be tied to a specific patron god
  • Consolidation of all creatures from Elric I and the Elric Companion
  • Guidelines for developing campaigns outside the traditional milieu of Elric's wanderings.

There's substantial new content although the key rules for sorcery remain pretty much as they were from the previous edition.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Hi Loz, Pete,

Please excuse my drooling over this synopsis of the new version, but this all sounds very promising. Do you think it would be easy enough to play using BRP instead of MRQII? It looks like it would, but I'm curious.

Proud pen-and-paper roleplayer since 1991!

Blood and Souls for Lord Arioch!

I don't have the Elric material, but I'm a big fan of the books. What is "dream magic"? Is it canonical?

Certainly is. 'Fortress of the Pearl', 'Dreamthief's Daughter/White Wolf's Son/Skrayling Tree' and 'Making of a Sorcerer' (comic) all feature dream magic heavily.

It falls into two forms: dream theft, whereby certain individuals steal dreams from others and sell them to those who can't dream or have a need for a specific type of dream; and dream questing, which is dreaming ones' self into a mythical reality where experiences can be gained with reduced risk, myths understood and legendary actions replayed. Its standard training for all emperors of Melnibone - the only way one individual can accrue the many lifetimes of experienced needed to rule the Bright Empire.

Hi Loz, Pete,

Please excuse my drooling over this synopsis of the new version, but this all sounds very promising. Do you think it would be easy enough to play using BRP instead of MRQII? It looks like it would, but I'm curious.

Yes, you can use the Elric II rules with BRP although there will need to be some conversion work necessary, and you'd need to decide how to use Resilience/Persistence under BRP (essentially CON and POW rolls). Skill names are a little different too, so you'd need to cross reference and make some conversion changes there. But otherwise there's a very high degree of compatibility, which has always been true with MRQ and BRP.

Well, Loz and Pete, what can I say? I bought the PDF through drivethrurpg and it delivers everything as promised. I haven't read the whole thing cover-to-cover, but I have had a really good "skim" through it and it is excellent. Great job guys in capturing the feel of the saga, particularly the magic systems - they are as close to the books as you can get with a game mechanic I feel. Anyhow, very well done. I hope my group enjoys adventuring in The Young Kingdoms and the multiverse. For those of you reading this thread who haven't purchased the book, you are doing yourself a disservice by not buying it. Anyone wanting to run a Dark Fantasy campaign using BRP or MRQ (version isn't that important, you just need to make the adjustments Loz mentioned) will find this setting an invaluable aid IMHO.