Getting back to Cthulhu after a 35 (?) year hiadus!

J. Rats

Hey Folks!

After what's probably been a 35 year hiatus, my buddies and I have gotten back together to start gaming again and our good times with Call Of Cthulhu has come up.

As such, I've noticed there are some changes... But unlike the 80s, where we were stuck winging it, a forum like this rocks because we can (hopefully) bounce ideas and ask questions.

Hopefully I'm in the right place.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

Welcome back!

I've been playing Call of Cthulhu since the 1st edition, and I think you'll be real happy with 7e. It's the best edition yet imo, and my favorite rpg overall.

Agreed. I was an investigator in Shadows of You-Sothoth sometime in the mid-80s, and it was a blast. There were long stretches of time when I didn't play at all, until 7th edition came out, and Chaosium has done an excellent job of fine tuning. The rules are both fairly simple to use, and still contain enough complexity to fit a wide variety of play styles. Even better, the sheer number of published scenarios and campaigns is mind-boggling, and the quality is superb.

There are also quite a few resources for CoC game props available for the industrious keeper. I've been making physical props as well as buying some, and it really adds to the atmosphere. I think you'll have a blast with the current state of the game!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aerinyes said:

Agreed. I was an investigator in Shadows of You-Sothoth sometime in the mid-80s, and it was a blast. There were long stretches of time when I didn't play at all, until 7th edition came out, and Chaosium has done an excellent job of fine tuning. The rules are both fairly simple to use, and still contain enough complexity to fit a wide variety of play styles. Even better, the sheer number of published scenarios and campaigns is mind-boggling, and the quality is superb.

There are also quite a few resources for CoC game props available for the industrious keeper. I've been making physical props as well as buying some, and it really adds to the atmosphere. I think you'll have a blast with the current state of the game!

Agree about the adventures. I've rarely used published adventures in games in my 40+ years of RPGs, but I've used loads of the great adventures out there for 7e. 

I use the system for non-Mythos roleplaying too.

And yeah, there are some fantastic prop sets! (As well as sound sets). 

• Like 1