Arachne Solara

Qizilbashwoman

3 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I have never considered her to be  god or goddess. Nope, since finding out about her in '83 I have always considered her not to be a deity, or more powerful than them but beyond them. 

ETA

Not akin to them.

That is a reasonable take.  She could be a "super God".

However, the Beast People "worship" her, which confuses things.  Or at least confuses me.  🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Somewhat OT, but a few months ago Jeff posted a list of Major and Minor gods.

Every single member of our long timer RQ gaming group was shocked that Arachne Solara made neither list.  Hopefully there was a typo or misunderstanding somewhere.

Arachne Solara is Greatest of the Greater Gods

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Somewhat OT, but a few months ago Jeff posted a list of Major and Minor gods. Every single member of our long timer RQ gaming group was shocked that Arachne Solara made neither list.

The Greater and Major are what concerns us here. These are the universally acknowledged Gloranthan deities. Greater Gods are of great cosmological importance; major gods are perhaps less cosmically important but enjoy recognition throughout the world and are among those that shaped the cosmos …

Arachne Solara? Arachne Solara is a rank above all of these. — Jeff Richard, Well of Daliath

I am sure it all means something to Jeff, but if I were to play the game of “rank the following gods in order of cosmological importance”, I think: (a) I would fail — loops, gods left over, who knows what other mess; (b) I wouldn’t have any clear idea of what I was even trying to do. Don’t be fooled by the fact that you are sure you can rank Yelm above the patron deity of of unreturned library books. Gods of Glorantha Top Trumps will clear it all up, I am sure.

And if a god were of “great cosmological importance” but not “universally acknowledged” (by Gloranthans, presumably, not players or game designers), then I guess they wouldn’t make the cut.

If I were the Invisible God, I would feel offended that I had to slum it with all the other bozos while “Korgatsu (aka Hykim and Mikyh) was too abstract to add.”

Edited by mfbrandi
spurious they

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

Arachne Solara is Greatest of the Greater Gods

If I were to be honest, I hate absolutes in my RPGs. Smacks too much of DnD (Gygax style) or god learning. You do a great job of leaving matters in the hands of the gamers in many of your rulings so I do not mean you David and I have read the comment you mention. I have also read that they were the great old ones and have seen other epithets but me, as GM, this is far to wide a brush for me... I much prefer the ambiguity I was using and leaving such mysteries to the deep conversations found in the temples of the learned or the distant unknowable past. 

• Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!