Gina Jar on a Lightbringers Quest

Erick Eckberg

Jeff recently posted on FB that Gina Jar represents the ghost of something lost, a memory.  This is quite a new concept (to me, anyway).  In the past, it seemed that Gina Jar represented the "spirit" of the group, the wyter, its "espirit de corps", and it seemed that typically, the clan would provide its wyter to represent Gina Jar.  That no longer seems to really fit.  So, my question is:

How would Gina Jar be represented, on a Lightbringers Heroquest?  Physically, by say a clan member or perhaps a stranger?  Maybe dressed as a masked mourner?  Or... would a spirit represent her (it)?  The clan wyter still?  Or...  is Gina Jar something more enigmatic?  Something more metaphysical?  Is she (it) typically not represented (in a heroquest)?  Perhaps she manifests as a lost memory of the members of the questing group?

Again, just wondering how (or if) Gina Jar would be represented, if a clan got some heroes together to attempt a Lightbringers quest?  

1 hour ago, Erick Eckberg said:

In the past, it seemed that Gina Jar represented the "spirit" of the group, the wyter, its "espirit de corps", and it seemed that typically, the clan would provide its wyter to represent Gina Jar.  That no longer seems to really fit.

I don't think the two are necessarily exclusive.  It's the spirit or connectedness of the questers to their clan, which also represents that which has been lost.  

How would Gina Jar be represented, on a Lightbringers Heroquest?  Physically, by say a clan member or perhaps a stranger?

More likely by an object - it could be the object that holds the clan wyter, it might be a votive figure/statue, maybe it's a feather, or an empty pot, or a piece of charcoal, or whatever seems relevant to the questers and the clan.

Is she (it) typically not represented (in a heroquest)?  Perhaps she manifests as a lost memory of the members of the questing group?

Not represented usually as a living person - she represents something that no longer exists, but is remembered and desired.  If the clan magic is invoked, she might manifest as a spirit or lost memory or ghostly voice or the like.  

Sartar performed a Westfaring (partial LBQ) in order to awaken the wyter for his new Kingdom. A party wyter usually gets bound into an artifact or rarely an animal.

There is an Orlanthi custom for the Arming of Orlanth where followers or companions of the hero who don't have a protagonist role in the quest get included as "equipment". You can add a Humakti to a Lightbringer endeavor as representing the Sword of Orlanth. In a similar way, a quester could represent/carry the object (or handle the beast) of the prospective wyter.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

12 hours ago, Erick Eckberg said:

Jeff recently posted on FB that Gina Jar represents the ghost of something lost, a memory.  This is quite a new concept (to me, anyway).  In the past, it seemed that Gina Jar represented the "spirit" of the group, the wyter, its "espirit de corps", and it seemed that typically, the clan would provide its wyter to represent Gina Jar. 

I think it is both.

Some people have suggested that Ginna Jar is the Ghost of Glorantha, which makes sense, as she guides a group of people to save Glorantha.

12 hours ago, Erick Eckberg said:

How would Gina Jar be represented, on a Lightbringers Heroquest?  Physically, by say a clan member or perhaps a stranger?  Maybe dressed as a masked mourner?  Or... would a spirit represent her (it)?  The clan wyter still?  Or...  is Gina Jar something more enigmatic?  Something more metaphysical?  Is she (it) typically not represented (in a heroquest)?  Perhaps she manifests as a lost memory of the members of the questing group?

Again, just wondering how (or if) Gina Jar would be represented, if a clan got some heroes together to attempt a Lightbringers quest?  

An empty chair.

A Wyter guiding the group.

A Spirit offering suggestions.

A HeroQuestor wearing a faceless mask.

Whatever you deem suitable at the time.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, smiorgan said:

I loved that post and I found this interpretation of Ginna Jar very poetic. That said I did not know of the other interpretation - I only knew it was a mysterious figure.

BTW, it's Ginna Jar. The "Gina" in the post was a typo due to Jeff's autocorrect on FB.

it's true that a 'gina jar is very different from the Ginna Jar

• Haha 1