Houserule for Characteristic/ Skills Link

Akerbakk

I'm pondering a possible houserule for my table and would love some feedback, or ideas from the crowd.

I would love to figure out a way to link Characteristics to skills. I looked in the BRP Big Gold Book and although I like the Skill Category Bonuses optional rule (p. 31), this feels a bit crunchy for the way CoC 7e runs. I am considering something simpler like "Spend a point of Luck to add a Bonus Die to any skill under 50% if you can explain how your Characteristic (over 75%) will help you."

Thanks all :)

I don't think you necessarily need to make a new rule for this. If a player is using a social skill like Charm, Fast Talk, or Persuade, and says they are using their "winning" APP to help - and you deem it appropriate / they make a good roleplaying effort - you can simply award them a bonus die or reduce the difficulty of the roll. Equally, an investigator with low APP, might use their "less winning" APP when rolling Intimidate, and gain a bonus die, or something like that. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Mike M said:

I don't think you necessarily need to make a new rule for this. If a player is using a social skill like Charm, Fast Talk, or Persuade, and says they are using their "winning" APP to help - and you deem it appropriate / they make a good roleplaying effort - you can simply award them a bonus die or reduce the difficulty of the roll. Equally, an investigator with low APP, might use their "less winning" APP when rolling Intimidate, and gain a bonus die, or something like that. 

Maybe it is that easy...thanks!

On 1/17/2023 at 9:19 AM, Akerbakk said:

I'm pondering a possible houserule for my table and would love some feedback, or ideas from the crowd.

I would love to figure out a way to link Characteristics to skills. I looked in the BRP Big Gold Book and although I like the Skill Category Bonuses optional rule (p. 31), this feels a bit crunchy for the way CoC 7e runs. I am considering something simpler like "Spend a point of Luck to add a Bonus Die to any skill under 50% if you can explain how your Characteristic (over 75%) will help you."

Thanks all 🙂

IDK if you play Rune Quest, but in the RQG main rules pages 57-59 there are rules for how different stats affect skills in RQ/  They are called Skill Category modifiers.  This means that in RQ base skills are higher.  It might be worth a look.  I have considered including this in my CoC games.

I also have a couple of house rules you might enjoy...

(1) If players have forgotten something their character would probably remember, they get to roll Idea to recall it.  This is handy for people with busy lives.

(2) A common knowledge fact that characters would know about a period like the 1920s that players might not know can default to an EDU roll.

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darius West said:

IDK if you play Rune Quest, but in the RQG main rules pages 57-59 there are rules for how different stats affect skills in RQ/  They are called Skill Category modifiers.  This means that in RQ base skills are higher.  It might be worth a look.  I have considered including this in my CoC games.

I also have a couple of house rules you might enjoy...

(1) If players have forgotten something their character would probably remember, they get to roll Idea to recall it.  This is handy for people with busy lives.

(2) A common knowledge fact that characters would know about a period like the 1920s that players might not know can default to an EDU roll.

I considered the Skill Bonuses from the BRP BGB, which is similar! I want to try to keep CoC nice and lean... we'll see.

Useful info for the Idea and Know rolls. Thank you 🙂

• Like 1

A couple of other options:

You could treat the interpersonal skills as partially derived from a stat, the same way dodge is derived from dex ie have the player choose if they are naturally charming, persuasive, intimidating or loquacious so their starting skill of one or two of them (players choice) is equal to app/2 or app/3.

You could allow players to distribute some bonus starting points amongst those skills equal to their app (or app above 80) 

• Helpful 1