Dwarf ’s Armring

Erol of Backford

Well, that is an ouroboros that doesn’t soft-pedal the sexual reading of the symbol. Do you think that is why no one has picked this one up?

The wikipedia page suggests ideas:

1. used in the synthesis of benzene (or other alchemy);
  2. a Mostali religious/cosmological symbol (pantheism: “all is one”; cycles of destruction);
  3. possibly a calculating device — big numbers at the head, small at the tail, but how does one operate it?

One reading of the snake swallowing its own tail is Wakboth in the net, so maybe some magic to do with time and/or binding chaos.

In its sexual reading, the arm-ring symbolizes posting on web forums.

• Thanks 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Does a hidden question deserve a hidden answer?

Spoiler

Maybe the ring symbolizes a heresy that outsiders don’t know has ever been held by dwarves. They want it back before outsiders decode its significance.

Maybe the heretics think that Wakboth is the world machine and so needs to be repaired and put back into operation. Maybe the orthodox dwarves and remaining mostali don’t want it known that the schismatic dwarves they are trying to wipe out/reprogram are working on this project.

Maybe the most pessimistic of the remnant mostali suspect that the heretics are right and that their repairs have been succeeding (partially, but to devastating effect) every 600 years or so. They are secretly glad that the Wakboth-mechanism/Mostal’s machine keeps getting broken by gods and heroes, but who can they talk to about this horrifying religious/cosmological truth—that stasis and mechanism can only be reconciled by chaos–entropy? How are the dwarves to be kept motivated when they must never be allowed to succeed, never be permitted to fully understand their blueprints? Should the blueprints be changed—unthinkable!—and to show what?

(These worries pave the road to mostali illumination/damnation. And that probably does involve a lightbulb appearing above the new illuminant’s head. A UV/black light, of course.)

Just idle thoughts of an idle fellow.

Edited by mfbrandi
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

2 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Does a hidden question deserve a hidden answer?

No but since its related to a scenario I thought it best not to uncover details that may spoil it for any players.

3 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Maybe the heretics think that Wakboth is the world machine and so needs to be repaired and put back into operation. Maybe the orthodox dwarves and remaining mostali don’t want it known that the schismatic dwarves they are trying to wipe out/reprogram are working on this project.

Your response gives my mind some traction to the idea of Chaos Dwarves. The PC's are requested to help find and eradicate them? I never liked the idea of fighting against dwarves, trolls yes but not dwarves. But if they are somehow chaos tainted then it makes it ok for me... suddenly I recall old World of Warcraft had a series of Uldaman quests to get a key... it was fun.

What spirit might be bound in the Armring that would illuminate you over time? Are there potentially sorcery matrices inscribed on it's scales? Are the eyes truestone?

Is there a hidden faction of Chaos Dwarves in Pavis working to find the Eye and rebuild Wakboth!?

I'll add this to the Rumor's Table as to horrific to even think about it but I am going to think on it.

Fun.

image.png.c28e4f9d0de841edfc377a63b010db2f.png image.png.3aad46c451585587a3343b4465f277b9.png

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Your response gives my mind some traction to the idea of Chaos Dwarves.

There are Chaos Dwarves in Dorastor and, I think, in the Tunnelled Hills.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I figured there are dwarves at the perimeter of Dorastor in the surrounding mountains but not actually in Dorastor and I didn't think of them as chaotic?

There are some in my Glorantha. The dwarves helped Nysalor, after all, and built several fortresses in Dorastor (Fort Wrath and Bloodstone Fort). There is probably a Dwarven source for the Oilstream, just outside Dorastor, in the Rockwoods.

13 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Yes. I don't think those in the Tunneled Hills are detailed besides in the Campaign Log but if they are I'd love to read more.

They are covered in a bit of detail in Tales of the Reaching Moon 15.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

image.png.27305f1dd4f64a97af84ae09a65a2bc4.pngimage.png.a7725a691f06cd1f1b3638b8c442f0c7.png 

I can never recall all these really cool zine articles which I've collected over the years. Its like you need to reread all of them each year to keep them fresh. These notes make one think that a hidden faction of the Pavis Dwarves are actually working with the Krarshti? 

38 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Is there a hidden faction of Chaos Dwarves in Pavis working to find the Eye and rebuild Wakboth!?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 1/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, Erol of Backford said:

What are its powers, what is it good for besides a shiny pretty piece of jewelry and why did the dwarves make it?

image.png.a0e1ffd05fb26f0af7038b348e816fdd.png

Infinity + Fertility = Uleria.

This is used to tap Uleria's power, mostly for reproduction.  Not that Dwarves want to talk about it, but it's worn by Dwarves doing that duty and increases the chances of getting a better breed of dwarf out of it.

• Like 2