OGL - Magic system and some other rules

CussaMitre

I was searching for a system that had an OGL to create some settings.

BRP looks quite a look with another system that I played for years and I am really thinking about going with it.

But There are some points about the OGL that is not so clear to me, so, asking here before have to throw away some work.

• The SRD does not have anything like magic, but the "full" BRP version from DriveThru has. Can I use the magic system from the BRP?
    • In case I can't, how much different it has to be to not be considered a "copy" of that?
  • How much of the rules I can change?
    • For example: instead of getting the experience check the player passes on the test, I want to change to get it when they failed.

I believe that these are the biggest questions that I have for now.

Can anyone help about it?

Many Thanks

Cussa Mitre

The "Big Gold Book" (aka BGB) rules aren't OGL'ed.  You may not use the text of those rules, as they remain (c)Chaosium.

I believe that a substantively-similar set of magic rules (to what is in the BGB), expressed in your own words, would be permitted; but I'm neither @Chaosium nor a lawyer.

Thus, I perform the secret summoning ritual:  can you comment, @Jeff?

Edited by g33k
summoning

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 1/20/2023 at 7:29 PM, g33k said:

The "Big Gold Book" (aka BGB) rules aren't OGL'ed.  You may not use the text of those rules, as they remain (c)Chaosium.

That is kind of part of the question. I saw that the BGB was updated in 2022, but the SRD last modification was in 2020.

Is there any plans to update the SRD with part of the content from BGB? Especially because it seems that part of the rules were improved but the SRD does not contain these improvements. Example: BGB has the Special and Critical, but SRD has only Special.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, CussaMitre said:

I was searching for a system that had an OGL to create some settings.

BRP looks quite a look with another system that I played for years and I am really thinking about going with it.

But There are some points about the OGL that is not so clear to me, so, asking here before have to throw away some work.

• The SRD does not have anything like magic, but the "full" BRP version from DriveThru has. Can I use the magic system from the BRP?
    • In case I can't, how much different it has to be to not be considered a "copy" of that?
  • How much of the rules I can change?
    • For example: instead of getting the experience check the player passes on the test, I want to change to get it when they failed.

I believe that these are the biggest questions that I have for now.

Can anyone help about it?

Many Thanks

Cussa Mitre

The entirety of the Big Gold Book is not currently covered by our OGL. If you want to license the full BRP rules (or Magic World, etc.) please contact us. We are very generous with our prospective partners. 

https://www.chaosium.com/fan-use-and-licensing/

Obviously, the recent shakeup in the industry relating to OGLs and the surge of interest in the BRP core rules has spurred some interesting internal discussions about what our next steps will be.  

• Like 7
  • Helpful 3
  • Thanks 2

Perfect. I believe that in this case the best approach is to contact you via the license link and see if what I am planning is possible to achieve. I saw that there the Community program via DriveThru, which was my target, but different from what is stated, I am creating a new scenario/setting, which requires the SRD + some other things that I am planning to include.

17 hours ago, CussaMitre said:

Perfect. I believe that in this case the best approach is to contact you via the license link and see if what I am planning is possible to achieve. I saw that there the Community program via DriveThru, which was my target, but different from what is stated, I am creating a new scenario/setting, which requires the SRD + some other things that I am planning to include.

You may also want to look at "Toxandria" on DTRPG.
So far as I know, that relies entirely on the BRP OGL for its license.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig