What settings would you like to see published ?

Agentorange

I'd rather see them come up with something new... and their own... rather than trying for a license.

I agree it should be a setting that capitalizes on the possibilities inherent to the game system... the multiversal role it can play.

I've always enjoyed settings like Planescape, Arduin, Nexus, Rifts, Bugtown(from the Post. Bros. comics) that had a lot of disparate forces mixing together... so the base setting of the Worlds Of Wonder sets seems like it has potential if it could be developed into something fairly logical/serious... maybe some vague metaplot laid over it all just for cohesion of the various bits.

Something like a multiversal version of Thunderbirds or Captain Scarlett (centralized, somewhat secret organization with lots of cool resources that provides lots of reasons for its members to come into harm's way).

Strangely Dark Conspiracy didn't work for me... maybe it was the artwork (really turned me off), or that all the different story elements just felt thrown in together without much thought how they'd work together... it was like a salad that badly needed tossing... so the flavors would blend and some sort of gestalt would arise. Maybe because it was too much based on modern conspiracy theories and I've got no interest in bigfoot or UFOs... (I know, duh, it's right in the title so what did I expect?).

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto to that! The only sci-fi I ever saw involving time travel that worked for me was Terminator. Plane-hopping, though, I love. It's one thing that has me onto Dark Conspiracy right now. It does take some thought, however (ie tossing) to brew a coherent story line.

As with anything else, if done right, it can be pretty neat.

Sliders (TV, 1995-2000) was a good example of plane-hopping done well.

Quantum Leap (TV, 1989-1993) was a good example of time travel done well.

Final Countdown (1980) was another good time travel story.

At least, I hope I'm right, as I just started a time travel game... :rolleyes:

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

I've seen a number of time travel fictions that worked for me... but I think that they all carefully skirted a lot of obvious questions that would be a lot harder to avoid in an RPG.

Though I never found myself caring much about such things while watching Dr. Who...

Still, I'd be happy just as happy with BRP based sourcebooks covering stable one-world settings if done well.

• 4 weeks later...

How about Clark Ashton Smith settings? Chaosium may even have the rights to `em:

ZOTHIQUE

"Zothique, vaguely suggested by Theosophic theories about past and future continents, is the last inhabited continent of earth. The continents of our present cycle have sunken, perhaps several times. Some have remained submerged; others have re-risen, partially, and re-arranged themselves. Zothique, as I conceive it, comprises Asia Minor, Arabia, Persia, India, parts of northern and eastern Africa, and much of the Indonesian archipelago. A new Australia exists somewhere to the south. To the west, there are only a few known islands, such as Naat, in which the black cannibals survive. To the north, are immense unexplored deserts; to the east, an immense unvoyaged sea. The peoples are mainly of Aryan or Semitic descent; but there is a black kingdom (Ilcar) in the north- west; and scattered blacks are found throughout the other countries, mainly in palace-harems. In the southern islands survive vestiges of Indonesian or Malayan races. The science and machinery of our present civilization have long been forgotten, together with our present religions. But many gods are worshipped; and sorcery and demonism prevail again as in ancient days. Oars and sails alone are used by mariners. There are no fire-arms—only the bows, arrows, swords, javelins, etc. of antiquity. The chief language spoken (of which I have provided examples in an unpublished drama) is based on Indo-European roots and is highly inflected, like Sanskrit, Greek and Latin."

Hyperborea would be a good one, too.

Averoigne would adapt simply.

Clark Ashton Smith is pretty much an untapped resource of adventuring potential isn't he? Lord Dunsany too...

I think Deadworld will cover my desires for a post-apocalyptic setting... at least as a base to start from... so I'd probably most like to see someone come out with a really high-tech but 'firm' science setting... something that features the potentials of nanotechnology and AI... but not with the seeming darkness of GURPS Transhuman or Cyberpunk... something more positive, like Star Trek or Ringworld in flavor.

The (upcoming?) RPG Sufficiently Advanced is the closest thing I can think of right now:

http://www.wombatzone.com/archives/2005/11/review_sufficie_1.html

The old Xro Dinn Chronicles and the never publised A1 were also along similar lines... I think.

There has been quite a bit done for Averoigne, in some magazine (fanzine?) devoted to CoC. I saw it in a gamestore, there was a series of articles about the setting. The article I saw was 'Beasts of Averoigne', or something like that. Perhaps someone knows the magazine, and more about it?

There has been quite a bit done for Averoigne, in some magazine (fanzine?) devoted to CoC. I saw it in a gamestore, there was a series of articles about the setting. The article I saw was 'Beasts of Averoigne', or something like that. Perhaps someone knows the magazine, and more about it?

Worlds of Cthulhu covered it.

It was the only WoW setting that I never ran. I pulled it out and looked at it the other day, and it turns out the game is actually better than I gave it credit for. With a little effort, it could be the foundation of a decent SF game.

In fact, its part of the inspiration for the "Doorways in the Sky" campaign idea I mention in another thread (Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky" and a bit of "Stargate" are also in there...)

IF I were them, I'd revive Questworld. It would solve a lot of their problems and has no drawbacks.

I took a recent look at Questworld specifically with the thought of "Would this work as a BRP supplement" and sadly, it really didn't fit the bill. It's still fairly tied to Glorantha, and feels very, very dated.

I took a recent look at Questworld specifically with the thought of "Would this work as a BRP supplement" and sadly, it really didn't fit the bill. It's still fairly tied to Glorantha, and feels very, very dated.

I'm afraid I must agree; it was clearly an attempt to slight genericize RQ, and not really a terribly impressive attempt.

Ditto to that! The only sci-fi I ever saw involving time travel that worked for me was Terminator. Plane-hopping, though, I love. It's one thing that has me onto Dark Conspiracy right now. It does take some thought, however (ie tossing) to brew a coherent story line.

I like Time Cop too. (despite Claude van Damme) It has some interesting ideas. A brilliant (but not well known) movie about time manipulation is the "Butterfly Effect".

One setting I always thought that would be interesting would be a Muskets and Magic setting in the early age of explorations, say around 1500. The age of the Conquistador is almost perfect for role players. Your Conquistador often operated in very small groups , out for loot and glory and did not mind who he had to kill for it, just like many players. And of course they never knew where they where or where they where going.

And for magic, its my opinion that if magic really worked, your Kings and other would not be pron ed to burn sorcerer's at the stake when they would be so much more useful working for the King then being the guest of honor at a BBQ. perhaps you could have different schools of sorcery in different societies. That way your sorcerers would be heretics while mine would be doing God's work.

And your natives would have their spirit magic and shamans to defend them selves against those European invaders.

I for one hope both Mongoose runequest and BRP both do well. Since both are based on the D100 system it should be easy to borrow stuff from one game and convert it for use in the other. Same with players. If some one playing one game and moves , they would be easy fit in with a game using the other system. For me the more people playing d100 the better.

One setting I always thought that would be interesting would be a Muskets and Magic setting in the early age of explorations, say around 1500. The age of the Conquistador is almost perfect for role players. Your Conquistador often operated in very small groups , out for loot and glory and did not mind who he had to kill for it, just like many players. And of course they never knew where they where or where they where going.

And for magic, its my opinion that if magic really worked, your Kings and other would not be pron ed to burn sorcerer's at the stake when they would be so much more useful working for the King then being the guest of honor at a BBQ. perhaps you could have different schools of sorcery in different societies. That way your sorcerers would be heretics while mine would be doing God's work.

And your natives would have their spirit magic and shamans to defend them selves against those European invaders.

The Urath setting I've mentioned elsewhere evolved out of this, and a campaign a friend ran briefly (albiet twice) set in the Americas in the 1700's.

I played several years ago a similar CoC game. (without much mythos, but much spanish flair)

I have always felt like Talislanta was like Oz. I mean, a city built of green glass, inhabited by wizards? It's like candy, very attractive but no nutrition. I have never really been able to get into it. There just isn't enough to really engage me in the long run. I have run one-shots, but always have gone back to a game with more 'internal consistancy'. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about it. The layered ancient civilizations, the post-apocalyptic via magic disaster background, the Vancian vibe... It just does not set well or fit together 'right' as a whole, unfortunately.

I have always felt like Talislanta was like Oz. I mean, a city built of green glass, inhabited by wizards? It's like candy, very attractive but no nutrition. I have never really been able to get into it. There just isn't enough to really engage me in the long run. I have run one-shots, but always have gone back to a game with more 'internal consistancy'. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about it. The layered ancient civilizations, the post-apocalyptic via magic disaster background, the Vancian vibe... It just does not set well or fit together 'right' as a whole, unfortunately.

I've always wondered about the possibility of a truly "Oz"-like campaign. Doing something along the lines of Abadazad (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abadazad for the uninitiated) would be cool. Maybe someday I'll work it out.

My favorite 'standard' fantasy game is probably Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay... I haven't seen the new edition but the old one had a tone that I found very palatable. It was dark and gloomy but still pretty silly in the corners and would make fun of all sorts of fantasy tropes.

It hardly ever feels bright and shiny and 'full of wonder'... it's mostly creaky and dirty and old.

If I was gonna get drug back into any game that fostered elves/dwarves/orcs... that would be the one I'd go to.

I like gloom, but I'd think you could lighten it greatly just by ignoring all reference to Chaos...

Back in the day... when I first got a read of the old Realms Of Chaos books... they actually depressed me... made me kind of nauseous... I had to put them down for a spell.

Nowadays I just think they are hilarious fun...