What settings would you like to see published ?

Agentorange

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intriguing :-)

Not overmuch.

Just something I'd had on a back-burner for a couple of years now, wanting a home. I sent Dustin a list of the top four things I'd like to write (prioritized by my interest level), and he said they'd like to see a full proposal for the first of them.

Once the contract is signed (assuming they do so), I'll let folks know what it is.

here a few idea for source books that I thought of.

First would be one based on 1001 nights. I havev always been amazed that this source has been pretty much ignored by the gaming community all these years. I mean who would not want to follow in Sindbad's or Aladdin's footsteps.

Sindbad is said to have traveled all the way from Madagascar ( Where Some say the Roc was based on the large birds that used to live there) To java where he met his Bride.

Second choice would be China . Again pretty open ground there. There few source books on China that been published over the years. Yet China is one of the few place where real life adventures have made it big. Look at what power Koxinga had in the 16 century. Come to think of it a supplement just based on Koxinga and his pirate empire itself would be a fun one.

I'd go for a China sourcebook big time... especially if it included the sorts of fantasy elements seen in films like Chinese Ghost Story, Green Snake, Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain, The Bride With White Hair... etc.

Or books/stories like The Dream Of The Red Chamber and Journey To The West... and various Chinese fairy tales...

I've got the GURPS China sourcebook but since it tries to cover all of Chinese history there isn't much detail about any one period or genre of story.

I like the new pieces of art that have been added. :)

How is the project going along? I see you have a deadline in June, but expect to be finished before that - when can we start to expect the setting?

Maybe you should open an own Cthulhu Adventus to keep us updated, and for questions that may arise?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I'd go for a China sourcebook big time... especially if it included the sorts of fantasy elements seen in films like Chinese Ghost Story, Green Snake, Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain, The Bride With White Hair... etc.

Or books/stories like The Dream Of The Red Chamber and Journey To The West... and various Chinese fairy tales...

I've got the GURPS China sourcebook but since it tries to cover all of Chinese history there isn't much detail about any one period or genre of story.

I'd love a setting book inspired by fantasy China - the wuxia genre has been dabbled with before in RPGs but never really given the user-friendly treatment that BRP could bring to it.

There is so much untapped potential in this field from what little I have read and the recent films that have made it big in the West (e.g. Crouching Tiger; House of The Flying Daggers; Hero; Curse of The Golden Flowers etc).

Visit www.her0press.blogspot.com for your daily dose of geeky goodness.

The settings or styles of setting I would like to see done for BRP are as follows.

1. Fading Suns style dark ages in space, Space Opera.

2. Mad Max style pulp post apocalypse

3. A/State (Buy this if you dont have it) or something similarly urban and dark.

4. A truly "Gibsonesque" cyberpunk game.

EDIT: One more for the pile and I can belive I dint think of it earlier.

5. A game set in China Miévilles Bas Lag setting (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council)

I'd second the suggestion of Edgar Rice Burrough's Barsoom series - the Victorian / Edwardian role playing genre is still a rich source. Space 1889 was v. cool, and unfortunately lapsed - there's a lot of mileage in Mars!

I also have a soft-spot for far future fantasy dystopias - Vance, M. John Harrison's Viriconium series, Gene Wolfe, etc, etc (I'm toying with converting my own "Chronicles of Future Earth" sourcebook & stuff into BRP).

I guess I just like pictures of bronzed heroes standing heroically beneath an aging sun and gazing over the ruins of a once proud civilisation... Now where did I put that chainmail bikini... :D

Sarah

ps - one other setting, too: Byzantium, 8th - 10th centuries, with plenty of fantasy elements. I picture it as like Dune without the spaceships... plenty of decadence, weird spiritualism, intrigue, mayhem, and barbarians at the gates... smashing.

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Conan, Hammers Slammers, Coramonde, Nifft the Lean, Tekumel, Talislanta, Atlantean Trilogy, Jhereg series, Black Company............

Word!

Seriously, great line-up. I'd add: Ringworld/Known Space, the Pricilla Hutch Universe of Jack McDevitt, and the Repairman Jack universe.

I'd love a setting book inspired by fantasy China - the wuxia genre has been dabbled with before in RPGs but never really given the user-friendly treatment that BRP could bring to it.

There is so much untapped potential in this field from what little I have read and the recent films that have made it big in the West (e.g. Crouching Tiger; House of The Flying Daggers; Hero; Curse of The Golden Flowers etc).

Check Gianni's site ( Basic Role Playing System ).

Runequestement votre,

Kloster