Spirit Combat gang fight?

Squaredeal Sten

On 2/16/2023 at 8:57 AM, Bren said:

I'm still confused. I knew it was Sorcery, but as far as I can tell, Sorcery doesn't have a spell for Resurrection. What sorcery spell is it that the Sorcerer is scaling up to Resurrect the dead?

Oh, I see the problem!

Protective Circle works with any spell cast by any caster. The Sorcerer throws up the Circle, a friendly Rune priest performs the Resurrection.

On the battlefield, Protective Circle 2 is enough to allow you to use Spirit Magic to increase the STR and DEX of everyone inside, and stack Shield and Countermagic to prevent enemies spells slaughtering everybody.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:48 PM, jajagappa said:

Probably a complex one needing:  Summon + Man + Dispel + Death (possibly with a Combine + Fertility for good measure, though perhaps that has to be done to the body first to make it capable of hosting the spirit again?).

I would suggest Spirit in place of Man. When the spirit arrives from the land of the dead or the path to it, and takes it place in the body the entity will once again posses the Man Rune in place of the Spirit Rune.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 3 months later...

I read through this but wanted to be sure...

So if a group of PC's are on a "hunt" all discorporate and together, say with 2 shamans, part of the group and they come across a powerful malign spirit who engages one of the shamans in spirit combat:

01. may all the PC's attack the malign spirit in spirit combat and if so what are the penalties to each if any or do they get a bonus as the one being ganged up on cannot defend against so many at once? (Like being swarmed by trollkin in physical combat, can't parry 6 of them?!)

02. may any of the participants on either side use spells in normal strike ranks?

03. what about any magica weapons (not physically with them as they are discorpate) may they attack with them if their body is holding them in its catatonic state?

As we always played one on one spirit combat its was really bad for any PC who didn't have spirit block etc. to protect themselves...

Thanks!

I'm not sure that applying the penalty rule for multiple oponents is necessary here. If a powerfull spirit attacks an bunch of weaker spirirts, it will still slowly loose magic points (that's RQ, a trollkin can badly wound a rune lord) and after a while being defeated through attrition. or am I wrong ?

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I read through this but wanted to be sure...

So if a group of PC's are on a "hunt" all discorporate and together, say with 2 shamans, part of the group and they come across a powerful malign spirit who engages one of the shamans in spirit combat:

01. may all the PC's attack the malign spirit in spirit combat and if so what are the penalties to each if any or do they get a bonus as the one being ganged up on cannot defend against so many at once? (Like being swarmed by trollkin in physical combat, can't parry 6 of them?!)

02. may any of the participants on either side use spells in normal strike ranks?

03. what about any magica weapons (not physically with them as they are discorpate) may they attack with them if their body is holding them in its catatonic state?

As we always played one on one spirit combat its was really bad for any PC who didn't have spirit block etc. to protect themselves...

Thanks!

My own answers are definitely not authoritative, that's why I started the thread. But

01 - Yes, no penalties or bonuses.  So if the malign sprit is particularly POWerful it may whip the whole group.  If roughly comparable it is likely to be worn down by attrition.

02 - Yes, though they will need a concentration roll to cast a spell if they are engaged in Spirit Combat.  IMHO it is better tactics to spellcast when not engaged.

03- They may see the spirit world as though they had their weapon, but they will actually be doing the same old spirit combat damage that is on the character sheet when they are discorporate.

• Thanks 1