I got mine!

threedeesix

This thread has persuaded me not to buy the pre-release version and also to wait until the published version hits the shops.

I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and buy it from a shop than order it, pay shipping and then have to wait for 6 weeks for it to arrive.

It would be sort of embarrassing if the official version hits the shelves before the pre-release copies arrive. Especially since you're in the UK!

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At last, 22 days after ordering the damned thing (so 17 days after we were told it would ship) I have received my copy. It's #75, and came through with no damage. It was shipped on 12/28 like the rest of the ones that "fell through the cracks" seem to have.

I haven't had a chance to look at it more than that, having had to return to work. I'll give it a good going-over this weekend, though.

As an aside, there was nothing in the way of a note of apology or explanation in the package. And while I don't feel like I'm owed the world or anything, a simple sticky note that said "Hey, we're really sorry about this shipping late" would have done wonders for my mood. Instead, there's just silence.

This, coupled with never actually getting a response to my email to Chaosium inquiring about the status of my order pretty much guarantees that I'll never order direct from them again. I'll support the system and I'll buy from local game stores (or possibly established, reliable online stores). But direct ordering is very, very unlikely.

Cheers to you lucky folk who got your book within a reasonable time frame and might have had the joy of enjoying it before Christmas and/or New Years. I don't get that. So I hate you all with a burning passion >:->

No, not really :)

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

At last, 22 days after ordering the damned thing (so 17 days after we were told it would ship) I have received my copy.

I'm glad you got your copy!

I was feeling so bad for you I was tempted to offer to loan you mine until yours arrived.

By the way, if you're going to Owlcon in February, I'm running a BRP game using the Fallout setting. Confusingly, it's under "Fallout RPG" in their system listing.

(Just to be clear, though, I don't have anything to do with Chaosium's shipping, so there wasn't anything I could do to help out with late or missing orders.)

I'm glad you got your copy!

I was feeling so bad for you I was tempted to offer to loan you mine until yours arrived.

By the way, if you're going to Owlcon in February, I'm running a BRP game using the Fallout setting. Confusingly, it's under "Fallout RPG" in their system listing.

(Just to be clear, though, I don't have anything to do with Chaosium's shipping, so there wasn't anything I could do to help out with late or missing orders.)

Thanks, Jason. I know you weren't involved in the shipping at all, but I appreciate the kind thoughts. I think I would've fainted if I'd actually gotten to hold the mythical #1 :)

Thanks, too, for the heads up on Owlcon. It's pretty unlikely that I'll go, but your presence makes it more tempting. I'll let you know if I give in and plan on going.

Viva BRP!

75/420

---

Thanks, Jason. I know you weren't involved in the shipping at all, but I appreciate the kind thoughts. I think I would've fainted if I'd actually gotten to hold the mythical #1 :)

Heh. My almost-a-year-old daughter got hold of it briefly and nearly made it the fabled-but-lost #1. It escaped unscathed, and resides now atop the highest shelf in the house.

Thanks, too, for the heads up on Owlcon. It's pretty unlikely that I'll go, but your presence makes it more tempting. I'll let you know if I give in and plan on going.

When the book is properly on shelves, I may run some local demos at Rogue's Gallery or Dragon's Lair.

I figure if I don't do everything I can to promote sales of a product I worked on, I shouldn't be doing this for a living. Plus, it's a lot of fun to run demos in BRP.

Heh. My almost-a-year-old daughter got hold of it briefly and nearly made it the fabled-but-lost #1. It escaped unscathed, and resides now atop the highest shelf in the house.

Now *that* would've been a tragedy worthy of laughter. Weeping laughter, of course. But laughter all the same.

When the book is properly on shelves, I may run some local demos at Rogue's Gallery or Dragon's Lair.

I figure if I don't do everything I can to promote sales of a product I worked on, I shouldn't be doing this for a living. Plus, it's a lot of fun to run demos in BRP.

Rockin'. I'll keep my eyes peeled. It's a short hop to the Lair for me under most circumstances. Plus, I'll take any excuse to go next door and pick up some Ito En teas from Asahi.

75/420

---

As much as I hate to say this, that will only serve as a deterrent for the next six to 12 months ;-)

SDLeary

As much as I hate to say this, that will only serve as a deterrent for the next six to 12 months ;-)

SDLeary

If that, my two year old daughter was horrible about climbing when she was about 1 years old, she's thankfully mostly grown out of that. OTOH, I turned my back for a minute and she got in to the box I use for all my campaign materials last night (I had it out to check the players STR/DEX as I'm adding the minimum requirements for guns to our campaign). She's driving us crazy trying to keep her out of stuff. Her older brother that is nearly 5 has never been a problem with getting into things he shouldn't.

Zane

hehe...I'm in the same boat. My two-year-old must have received my love of books...she tries to get her hot little hands on any of my books. Luckily, I still have about 2.5-3 ft. height on her now :lol:

Lucky guy. My son is now 3 1/2, and since he reached 1 1/2, we have to move everything sensitive up every 3 or 4 month. We now have reached the ceiling with what we consider he should not reach, and can not up more. So now, we choose what to protect.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Ok people, your making me feel old.

But at least my 22 year old daughter doesn't get in to much anymore.

Rod

To be fair, I started the parenting thing when I was 39, so I'm scrambling to catch up with the rest of you... it's a bit sobering to think that I was filling out college entry forms when my parents were this age.

And I should mention that the shelf BRP #1 is on is around 7' off the ground - my 5'-tall wife can't even reach it.

To be fair, I started the parenting thing when I was 39, so I'm scrambling to catch up with the rest of you... it's a bit sobering to think that I was filling out college entry forms when my parents were this age.

You don' t have that far to catch up to some of us... Sounds like we're the same age. Our youngest was born just before I turned 40 (the oldest is 4). If you think your thought is sobering, consider this, how many kids you went through High School with are now Grandparents? And I'm not talking about the ones that got pregnant in High School! That's what was going through my head the whole time my wife was pregnant this time.

Zane

Ok people, your making me feel old.

But at least my 22 year old daughter doesn't get in to much anymore.

Rod

So there is hope.

Thank you. :happy:

Actually, I've been pretty fortunate with my two not really getting into things they are not supposed to. I did get a desk calender of Dragons for Christmas that I brought to work, only to be grilled by my 3 year old daughter "Where are the pictures of the dragons?" She was very upset with me and I had to bring it back home. After she's been through it a couple times it seems 2008 may be a bit shorter than I was expecting it to be.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Both of mine are December Birthdays too. :(

A bad birthday month for both the parents and the kids.

Damn you Christ...

ROFLMAF!!

Yeah, my first daughter's is the 21st and my second daughter's is the 23rd.

Awfully crowded week for us. :D

BRP Ze 32/420

ROFLMAF!!

Yeah, my first daughter's is the 21st and my second daughter's is the 23rd.

Awfully crowded week for us. :D

Wow. I'd say so. Spring fever really comes on strong at your house I'd say. ;)

My daughter is the 25th itself, which is tough. My son is the 10th, so that is not so bad.

I hope you soundly beat anyone who tries to give them combined birthday/christmas gifts - that is such a rook.

Wow. I'd say so. Spring fever really comes on strong at your house I'd say. ;)

My daughter is the 25th itself...

Uh, oh. I saw a movie where that happened. That means she'll turn into an albino werewolf when she grows up. ;)

Uh, oh. I saw a movie where that happened. That means she'll turn into an albino werewolf when she grows up. ;)

I'm cool with that. I mean anyone can raise a Doctor or Lawyer or President or something like that, but a werewolf - that is cool. :happy:

I'm cool with that. I mean anyone can raise a Doctor or Lawyer or President or something like that, but a werewolf - that is cool. :happy:

THere would be a lot of perks. She'd get the benefits of being a minority. THe ASPCA would probably like her. Maybe she could take allergy shots to build up a resistance to silver....

And best of all, you wouldn't have to worry about the boys trying to take advantage of her on a date. If they turned into "wolves" she could do so as well. :eek:

Since teenage girls hate their parents you'd probably be safe from the " werewolf always kills they one it loves" curse until she was out of the house and far enough away not to reach you during nights of the full moon.

You'd just have to be a little careful and buy calendars with the phases on the moon on it before planning family get-togethers.

Well this thread has taken an interesting turn. There are now several things to reply to.

First, someone asked how I like the book. I like it a lot! It really is a toolbox book though. So I am spending time deciding which rules to use and how they will work in the game I want to run.

Character creation has everything you need, but there are a lot of options and none are set in stone. Right now I am thinking of using Epic level Stat generation using point buy. Allowing other races, all of which I am making from scratch. Normal level skill points, I wanted the characters to start young and inexperienced, but with a good potential for power later.

Powers are an interesting challenge. I wanted all characters to have access to some powers, but also wanted to allow for someone who wanted to focus on them to have some advantage. Right now I am thinking of allowing Magic and Sorcery, but I am making some changes to get it to do what I want.

Primary magic users (wizards) will start with 4 spells and can hold up to 1/2 Int in spells. Dabblers in magic will start with 2 and can hold up to 1/4 Int. To allow for growth, instead of immediately being able to cast a spell at a level equal to 1/2 Int, instead the can cast a spell level up to 1/10 their skill. So with a 43% you could cast up to level 4 spells and a 67% would allow you to cast up to level 7. Maximum would be level 10 at 95% or higher.

Sorcery is already a bit more limited and I am wondering how to balance it with Magic. I might just start playing with it as is and retcon it later as needed. One thing I was going to ignore was the 16 Int (or was it Pow?) requirement to cast sorcery. Primary sorcery users (Sorcerers) would start with 8 levels of spells in sorcery and dabblers would start with 4. I also thinking that I would make up some more demons for them to summon ranging from low-powered, easier to summon demons and on up to the greater demon in the book. Sorcery in the game would be a rather dark form of magic.

Other options that I am going to use that are pretty easy are stat category bonuses and most likely hit-locations. Though I might just stick with HP and major wounds to see how it plays.

Anyway, there is actually quite a bit of work that needs to be done before you can start playing, especially compared to D&D. Campaign books might make this a bit easier and should definitely be published if Chaosium wants to capture a larger share of the market.

Okay, that was a long answer to a rather short question. :)

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Regarding Chaosium shipping.

Chaosium is not book seller. They are a game company and publisher. It is four guys (to the best of my knowledge) in a tiny office (I assume) working on something more for the love of the job than the financial rewards (I would be amazed if they made that much). The fact that they are not good at customer service does not surprise me in the least.

I have actually found few people that are good at customer service, even in an industry that is primarily about customer service (IT). Odds are they rarely actually see their customers. Really their customers are game stores.

It also sounds like Chaosium might have taken a loss on their "Advanced Reader" copies. So far only up to number 75 has been reported. That leaves 345 books unaccounted for. They might be able to sell them at cons or something, if any are coming up.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Regarding Chaosium shipping.

Chaosium is not book seller. They are a game company and publisher. It is four guys (to the best of my knowledge) in a tiny office (I assume) working on something more for the love of the job than the financial rewards (I would be amazed if they made that much). The fact that they are not good at customer service does not surprise me in the least.

Every word of what you say is true. And that's why I won't be buying directly from them anymore. But as I said, I'll still buy BRP stuff, since I want to support the line.

I could get all righteous fury here and go on a rant about how customer service should be the most important thing to anyone, blah blah blah, but it wouldn't do any good for anyone. So I won't bother. I'l just stick with my plan and appreciate the fact that I have the book in advance, even if it's not as in advance as I'd wanted (and, for the record, been promised). They certainly didn't have to do the advance reader copies, so I'm grateful for its existence.

I do hope they're not losing money on the deal. I'd love to think that they used a POD service like lulu are are only ordering them as they need them. In fact, that could well be (part of) the root of the delays. Perhaps they only ordered the first 30 or 50 or so and got more orders than they'd expected, leaving the overflow still needing to be printed. In any case, I'm sad for them if it does turn out to be a losing deal.

The only bone of contention I have with your post, Lord Twig, is the assertion that I/we are somehow not "real" customers to them.

Really their customers are game stores.

If that's the case, then Chaosium shouldn't have set themselves up to sell directly to the public. If I can give you money in exchange for goods or services, that pretty well makes me a customer. In my eyes, anyway.

But I digress. And get perilously close to that rant I said I wouldn't go on. So I'll stop there and say "Hey, the book looks great. I can't wait to see the final copy!" :D

75/420

---