I got mine!

threedeesix

Something tells me it's a good thing I pointed out in my email that there were a bunch of people waiting on their books to ship. I get the feeling that in the rush to get everything out, they forgot about a stack or two of packages. I suspect that when we finally get our books, we'll find they shipped today.

Does anyone know how well USPS mail moves between post offices on a weekend? I'm curious as I have some hope of my book showing up on Monday. I'm taking the day off, and something tells me I'll be bouncing off the walls until the mail shows up. Then I'll either be ecstatic, or really down. Worst case, I suspect I'll see my copy by next Wednesday.

Zane

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something tells me it's a good thing I pointed out in my email that there were a bunch of people waiting on their books to ship. I get the feeling that in the rush to get everything out, they forgot about a stack or two of packages. I suspect that when we finally get our books, we'll find they shipped today.

Many thanks for mentioning the rest of us, Zane. And yes, I too suspect they shipped today.

Does anyone know how well USPS mail moves between post offices on a weekend? I'm curious as I have some hope of my book showing up on Monday. I'm taking the day off, and something tells me I'll be bouncing off the walls until the mail shows up. Then I'll either be ecstatic, or really down. Worst case, I suspect I'll see my copy by next Wednesday.

I don't actually have any data, but it seems like Monday is a good bet. Outside of the absolute thick of holiday madness I'm normally quite impressed with the ol' USPS these days.

Fingers crossed for both of us!

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

To someone with an advanced copy:

What sort of STR and damage scores can we see with super-powered characters? I7m just wondering so I know where to place the AP scores for tanks.

I looked it up and a Str of 75 would probably be toward the upper limit, though if you rolled well and didn't spend points on anything else you might get to 100. Even with an 18 Siz that would be a Damage Bonus of 5d6 with 75 Str and 6d6 with 100 Str.

For Superheroic you get to add all your Characteristics together and that is how many points you have to spend. Super Characteristic (Strength) costs one for one.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

I looked it up and a Str of 75 would probably be toward the upper limit, though if you rolled well and didn't spend points on anything else you might get to 100. Even with an 18 Siz that would be a Damage Bonus of 5d6 with 75 Str and 6d6 with 100 Str.

For Superheroic you get to add all your Characteristics together and that is how many points you have to spend. Super Characteristic (Strength) costs one for one.

Thanks. Sounds like Superworld:WoW edition. Even my low end formula 40 AP M1A2 will withstand a +6D6 damage bonus, While the high end formula 70AP one is character proof. It looks like a super would be better off picking up and tossing the tank so it could break from falling damage than actually hit the thing.

BTW, Could character is a higher powered campaign get more Hero Points like they do with skills?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

STILL pending shipping! ;-( Got an email they had to upgrade it too Global Priority Mail since the package was to heavy (ordered some other stuff too). I'm starting to be afraid it won't find its way to Norway until the 1st edition is out.

Darn! :mad:

SGL.

Thanks. Sounds like Superworld:WoW edition. Even my low end formula 40 AP M1A2 will withstand a +6D6 damage bonus, While the high end formula 70AP one is character proof. It looks like a super would be better off picking up and tossing the tank so it could break from falling damage than actually hit the thing.

Its unfortunate Jason decided to go with the WoW edition versions here; the standalone edition was much better refined, and the 3/point versions for Strength and Size worked out much better in practice, and tended to match up better with output from other costs, like buying a blast.

Cool, so we know they sold at least 70 of the 420 that they had printed. We will see how much higher it goes.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

30/420

Hey guys

I ordered mine on the first day and it has yet to arrive! Chaosium's site says it shipped on the 18th of December!!

Anyone else out there in my predicament? I email chaosium, but no reply so far...

For people who got their books in the US, how were they shipped? UPS ground, USPS Media mail?

Help!

mal

I ordered mine on the first day and it has yet to arrive! Chaosium's site says it shipped on the 18th of December!!

Anyone else out there in my predicament? I email chaosium, but no reply so far...

For people who got their books in the US, how were they shipped? UPS ground, USPS Media mail?

Welcome to the forum here. Several of us ordered on the first day and have yet to get our books, I know mine finally said it shipped on the 28th. It took some effort to get a reply out of Chaosium, and shortly after I got one, my book status changed to shipped, as did several other peoples. I'm really interested to see just when my copy did ship. Keep in mind these were shipped over the Holiday's, and that mail service isn't the best this time of year.

As for how it shipped, good question, I'm curious about that one myself. I assume it was going USPS Media Mail.

To say I've passed the point of being impatient for the book to show up would be an understatement. I really wanted to get the book in time to read it over the Holiday's. :(

Zane

My wife just called me at work, my copy has finally arrived, and I had her open and check it. Here are the details concerning it.

1. My order was put in two hours after they set out the email letting people know about it.

2. It shipped on December 28th

3. It is #71

4. It is apparently damaged, I'm not clear as to how badly damaged it is, but sounds like one corner is pretty dinged up.

I must confess I'm not happy about how this was mishandled. They promised it would ship by end of day on the 17th, and I'm pretty sure I should have had a much lower number.

On the other hand I can't wait to get home, and will probably see about cutting out of here early today!

Zane

I am glad that it finally arrived. I am sorry that it's damaged; hopefully it's not too bad. Now, get home and get a nice steaming cup of coffee or hot chocolate and read! :thumb:

It really sucks about the whole shipping thing; Chaosium did say that all orders would be shipped on the 17th of December. :(

BRP Ze 32/420

Well, I couldn't take it, I came home early. So here are my initial reactions from spending some time thumbing through the book.

The very first reaction upon seeing it sitting in front of my keyboard, was WOW, that's a big book. If it is printed on heavier paper (and I really hope it will be), it's going to be seriously thick. They almost need to consider breaking it into a couple volumes.

Second impression, that weapons table for modern day guns needs work. I'll have to see about taking the table from CoC and adding the additional characteristics. My players aren't going to be happy with descriptions such as "Pistol, Medium". At the same time the Sci-Fi portions of the weapons tables are better than I'd hoped for. That does help balance things out. :)

Fate Points... I can't remember, was this in the Play Test? I'm not sure what I think of this addition, but I think I like this. I also like that this is designed to be tweaked and have the parameters for their use set by the GM.

Artwork. Please tell me that higher resolution copies of the artwork will be used in the final release. Way to many of the pictures have the exact same caption, I hope this is something else that will be fixed.

The index looks pretty good, and I liked the optional rules checklist.

BTW, it wasn't in as bad of shape as my wife made it sound. It is definitely in better shape than the copy of DG: Eyes Only that I purchased from that publisher.

Now to find time to spend more time reading through this! I want to read through the powers & magic, as well as combat.

Sigh. I'm glad you folks are getting yours but mine *still* hasn't made it to Austin. I'd like to think it'll arrive tomorrow, but I also liked to think it would arrive Monday or today. Gah!

Well, you magnificent bastards enjoy yours and I'll just go drink/cry myself to sleep :)

75/420

---

Sigh. I'm glad you folks are getting yours but mine *still* hasn't made it to Austin. I'd like to think it'll arrive tomorrow, but I also liked to think it would arrive Monday or today. Gah!

Sorry to hear you're still waiting. I think yours shipped at the same time as mine on the 28th. Do you have any experience with how long it takes from something to Chaosium to get to you? I was really hopeful for Monday as I know packages can make it from them to me that fast, but at least it showed up today. Hopefully your copy shows up tomorrow, or at least sometime this week.

Zane

Sorry to hear you're still waiting. I think yours shipped at the same time as mine on the 28th. Do you have any experience with how long it takes from something to Chaosium to get to you? I was really hopeful for Monday as I know packages can make it from them to me that fast, but at least it showed up today. Hopefully your copy shows up tomorrow, or at least sometime this week.

Thanks for the sympathy, amigo. Mine shipped on the 28th, too. But I have no experience with shipping times from the Chaosium folks. Orders from other places tend to get here pretty quickly, so I, too, had held out hope for Monday but realistically had presumed today. So I suppose ultra-realistically we're looking at tomorrow. If it's not here then I'll start getting really edgy since that's pushing into way too long just to get to Austin.

Still, chin up. If I can get the danged thing in my hands I might even be able to get a quick game in this weekend. Fingers crossed (again).

75/420

---

1. My order was put in two hours after they set out the email letting people know about it.

2. It shipped on December 28th

3. It is #71

Really? I ordered mine the day after the free shipping deal was up. Mine also shipped on Dec 28th and was #70. Sounds like you fell through the cracks somehow.

70/420

I can't remember when exactly I ordered mine. I think it was the Thursday before free shipping expired.

My book shipped USPS Media Mail and was shipped on the 19th. I received it on the 22nd. It is number 30. It arrived in perfect condition.

I thought I read somewhere that they had trouble with there ordering system before they got things straitened out. So it sounds like those who put their orders in first had to wait while they fixed things while those that placed their order later had everything go smoothly and therefore quicker.

30/420

I can't remember when exactly I ordered mine. I think it was the Thursday before free shipping expired.

My book shipped USPS Media Mail and was shipped on the 19th. I received it on the 22nd. It is number 30. It arrived in perfect condition.

I thought I read somewhere that they had trouble with there ordering system before they got things straitened out. So it sounds like those who put their orders in first had to wait while they fixed things while those that placed their order later had everything go smoothly and therefore quicker.

How do you like it?

This thread has persuaded me not to buy the pre-release version and also to wait until the published version hits the shops.

I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and buy it from a shop than order it, pay shipping and then have to wait for 6 weeks for it to arrive.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here.