Are there broo shamans?

Squaredeal Sten

Are there broo shamans?  Any in canon?  IF not then what does reason suggest?

It seems to me that because broos are children of Thed, they have always been attached to that Chaos god.  Which might prevent spiritual exploration.

It also seems to me that broo "culture" would not support the long term  apprenticeship which develops shamans.  

And their take on the Bad Man would certainly be different.  

11 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Are there broo shamans?  Any in canon?  IF not then what does reason suggest?

It seems to me that because broos are children of Thed, they have always been attached to that Chaos god.  Which might prevent spiritual exploration.

It also seems to me that broo "culture" would not support the long term  apprenticeship which develops shamans.  

And their take on the Bad Man would certainly be different.  

The society insight for broos is titled: "What do you want? Shut Up" - What the Broo shaman Says.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Are there broo shamans?

LEGION on the Jonstown Compendium has several broo shamans statted out. My favorite is White Horn. Also plenty of other nastiness in there for your broo horde.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

20 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Are there broo shamans?  Any in canon?

Yes, they are in the RQ Bestiary page 93, so I'm slight confused as to why you are asking and why others are bringing up older publications:

Mallia: Disease Masters are both shamans and Rune Priests. They follow normal shaman rules to attain their status.

Thed: Any broo shaman who is also an initiate of Thed qualifies for cult shamanhood. Shamans of Thed are also Priests.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

Yes, they are in the RQ Bestiary page 93, so I'm slight confused as to why you are asking and why others are bringing up older publications:

Mallia: Disease Masters are both shamans and Rune Priests. They follow normal shaman rules to attain their status.

Thed: Any broo shaman who is also an initiate of Thed qualifies for cult shamanhood. Shamans of Thed are also Priests.

As to why, two reasons: First, I like many others began with the older material, and my readings on Thed were from Cults of Terror.  And I end to prefer reading the long form.

Second, because in the Bestiary the paragraph on priests of Thed doies not begin labeled "shaman priests".  The Thed  sentence you reference is at the end and easy to overlook.  And I wasn't reading the Mallia portion any more closely because the broos I was rolling up did not come out as Malliants, and the Mallia sentence is also not prominent.

Structure of these documents does make a difference to their use.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Second, because in the Bestiary the paragraph on priests of Thed doies not begin labeled "shaman priests".  The Thed  sentence you reference is at the end and easy to overlook.  And I wasn't reading the Mallia portion any more closely because the broos I was rolling up did not come out as Malliants, and the Mallia sentence is also not prominent.

Structure of these documents does make a difference to their use.

Yes. I completely overlooked them. This is why I went back to 'Shadow over Borderlands'.

• Like 1

As I work on the adventure plan,  broo shamans open up more paths, more suitable to the higher level adventurers.

A broo shaman can come with several bound spirits, and a wider selection of spirit magic, as well as the small menu of Thed Rune spells.

What I envision for the broo army in 1628ST is a core of better equipped tribal broo, bulked up by their making a sweep to conscript less skilled "wild" broo.  They will not  employ phalanx tactics both because of their chaotic nature and because the wild broo are wild.  Instead they will bury disease vials like land mines, swarms of wild broo will cut off small parties of men, in battle they employ broos with chaotic features to break up human formations.  And the shaman priest will stay back and cast magic. 

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling / typing
  • Like 3