TCO Future Earth led me to BRP

Charlie D.

I'm combining the ideas from two other threads here. One thread is about The Chronicles of Future Earth and the other is about how BRP could become more popular.

I've never played CoC (although I have read most of Lovecraft) or BRP. I have a D&D and Pathfinder background with a few other games thrown in.

I hadn't even gone to Chaosium's website until I saw a blurb about The Chronicles of Future Earth (which I now have sitting in front of me). I believe I saw that blurb on ENworld. I've ordered the BRP system as well (I couldn't find a print copy at Chaosium but Amazon had it).

TCO Future Earth has everything I want in a fantasy setting. It drills down to one location, a city, and includes the info needed to kick off a campaign. It doesn't contain pages of multiple countries and centuries of history. While I would enjoy reading that later, I like having the info I need right now if I want to kick off a Future Earth campaign.

I like that the setting has both psionics and demon summoning. I like the rarity of iron. I like the artifiacts. I guess, in fact, that I like everything about the setting. It's like the idea of Eberron minus the baggage of 3.5 or 4E and with the sci-fi/fantasy traditions thrown in that I like.

The book is well edited. The map is great. The layout looks wonderful. And the cover art is evocative. I got the vibe that the author really enjoyed visiting the world and coming back to tell all of us all about it. The book makes me want to visit Future Earth myself (but not the Undercity, that place is bad news).

The customer service from Chaosium was great. They shipped same day and slipped in two bookmarks and two postcards with my order along with best holiday wishes (in best Cthulthu fashion). My book was carefully sealed in cardboard and shrink wrapped.

I only wish Chaosium had a monthly or bi-monthly subscription (like Paizo has) one could join to get new books about Future Earth on a regular basis. I'd sign up right now.

Welcome, although I'm new as well.

Wouldn't post a little more about the book, would you? The table of contents for instance. I have a gift certificate for Noble Knight that I am holding until I find out more about Future Earth. It's burning my fingers, it is. By the way they have the BRP rules in several editions and games. I prefer the Elric! ruleset myself.

You will find BRP quite different in feel than class and level games. I hope you come to love it as much as I do, and apparently the denizens here also appear to.

Welcome, although I'm new as well.

Wouldn't post a little more about the book, would you? The table of contents for instance. I have a gift certificate for Noble Knight that I am holding until I find out more about Future Earth. It's burning my fingers, it is. By the way they have the BRP rules in several editions and games. I prefer the Elric! ruleset myself.

You will find BRP quite different in feel than class and level games. I hope you come to love it as much as I do, and apparently the denizens here also appear to.

Thanks for the welcome.

As requested:

Intro

1: Races & Cultures

2: Creating Characters

3: Demons and Divine Powers

4: The Gods of the Great Compact

5: Artifacts and Equipment

6: The City of Leaden Walls

7: New Creatures

8: The Worm Within

I think the intro is well done, it directs the reader to the chapters to go to based on need. Players are told what chapters are used for character creation, readers what chapters provide background, chapters with new rules, and chapters to go to for the GM.

I also like the first chapter starts with races as most players will first be introduced to the world through the race and culture they pick. There are two human cultures and two new races all well tied into the world.

The adventure, the Worm Within, is good too. It can range from almost a dungeon crawl all the way up to a mystery with Cthulthu overtones depending on how the GM wants to run it. Lots of roleplaying bits for the NPCs as well as complete game stats and good maps.