Uses of Ducks

Agentorange

Following on from the Dragon skin thread, I was left wondering whereabouts in Glorantha could you get Crispy Duck in pancake rolls. originally I figured the  decadent Lunar empire. But then I thought maybe some of the more violent orlanthi might eat a meal as a gesture of contempt.....

There's a scenario in there somewhere.

Edited by Agentorange
typos

What I can tell you is that Gooseberry Sprig, resident chef at Apple Lane's Tin Inn is not amused by requests for plum sauce with a meal. He's heard the joke a thousand times, it's not original to him and be thankful that his professional pride is the only thing stopping him from p**sing in your stew, that and the fact the PCs had just done the hamlet a big favour. Yes, it was inevitable that my players would go there. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Agentorange said:

Following on from the Dragon skin thread, I was left wondering whereabouts in Glorantha could you get Crispy Duck in pancake rolls. originally I figured the  decadent Lunar empire. But then I thought maybe some of the more violent orlanthi might eat a meal as a gesture of contempt.....

I think Crispy Duck in Pancake rolls is a dish first eaten among the Maranaba folk of Tarsh to fatten their womenfolk up, that is now only popular among the Grazelanders.  Eating sentient folk is a chaotic act, regardless of how much contempt you hold ducks in.

43 minutes ago, Darius West said:

Eating sentient folk is a chaotic act, regardless of how much contempt you hold ducks in.

You just declared the trolls of Glorantha as a chaotic species. (However, most uz would balk at letting Fire mess with their food if they can have it without, except perhaps as a transgressive "spice".)

You can argue that butchering sentients for eating is a transgressive behavior that may lead to Chaos when taken out of other mythical context. Funerary cannibalism already is something else again, whether done to kin, foes, or as a ritual to guide the dead on their way. Survival cannibalism in extremis is yet another situation, where "in extremis" may be the mythical framing for reliving the Greater Darkness.

• Like 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

It would be remiss not to mention the result of the 1613 duck pogrome, the enchanted duck bill worn as a necklace, granting the wearer a rudimentary swimming ability, increased agility, and the immediate hatred of any durulz they encounter.

(I wonder whether rostrectomy with surviving subjects wearing prosthetic bills afterwards was practiced anywhere.)

7 hours ago, Darius West said:

Eating sentient folk is a chaotic act, regardless of how much contempt you hold ducks in.

Trolls eat sentient creatures all the time, in fact Kaarg Sons are ritually obliged to eat relatives.

Many cultures eat Newtling Tails and are not treated as chaotic.

The Cannibal Cult eat people and are not chaotic.

The Maran Gor priestess at the Shaker Temple has cannibalistic virgins, are they chaotic?

Oh, but maybe you mean Ogres, yes they are chaotic.

Also, Glorantha has normal ducks that are not sentient and can be eaten freely.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

13 hours ago, Joerg said:
14 hours ago, Darius West said:

You just declared the trolls of Glorantha as a chaotic species.

Standard Gloranthan hypocrisy: “I am blameless, you are transgressive, but they … they are chaotic.”

13 hours ago, Joerg said:

You can argue that butchering sentients for eating is a transgressive behavior that may lead to Chaos when taken out of other mythical context.

Ah, yes, wrong mythical context — that is why I shouldn’t kill and eat you. 😉

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 2/23/2023 at 12:13 PM, Agentorange said:

There's a scenario in there somewhere.

Kralorela of course.

On 2/24/2023 at 1:47 AM, Joerg said:

You just declared the trolls of Glorantha as a chaotic species. (However, most uz would balk at letting Fire mess with their food if they can have it without, except perhaps as a transgressive "spice".)

You can argue that butchering sentients for eating is a transgressive behavior that may lead to Chaos when taken out of other mythical context. Funerary cannibalism already is something else again, whether done to kin, foes, or as a ritual to guide the dead on their way. Survival cannibalism in extremis is yet another situation, where "in extremis" may be the mythical framing for reliving the Greater Darkness.

Not just the trolls. The Tarsh Exiles, stern foes of chaos, are notorious for their fondness for cannibalism. Butchering sentients for eating is generally disapproved of among many humans, but that is a human quirk not shared by any other intelligent Glorantha sapients.

On 2/24/2023 at 6:52 PM, Darius West said:

Are you some sort of Ogre apologist then? 😂

The ogres abuse the holy practices of Maran Gor. Usually the Tarsh Exiles only eat Lunars and other bad actors, but they are notorious for how freely they interpret human badness. Especially when the food supplies run low...

10 hours ago, Glorion said:

The ogres abuse the holy practices of Maran Gor. Usually the Tarsh Exiles only eat Lunars and other bad actors, but they are notorious for how freely they interpret human badness. Especially when the food supplies run low...

I wonder whether those meals for the high priestess and the virgins are sourced from volunteers.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:28 PM, Joerg said:

I wonder whether those meals for the high priestess and the virgins are sourced from volunteers.

Most unlikely. If you are *that* dedicated to Maran Gor, you probably are not just an initiate. Perhaps that's what happens to the virgins and the high priestess when it's time for them to go to heaven.