Newbie rules question about spells

stebehil

I´m new to BRP and got the book a week ago. (well, I did play CoC and Stormbringer in the past, so the system is not wholly unfamiliar - I even adapted the skill system for use with AD&D) One question came up so far I was not able to find an answer to: Do you need to relearn a magic spell at a higher level than 1 to be able to cast it at a higher level? Or do you just put more PP into the casting? The example Wizard in the Quickstart booklet seems to indicate that the spell needs to be relearned, otherwise, the notation of 3d6 damage for the fire spell would not make much sense. The chapter on magic is not too clear on it. On page 89, the writeup about spell levels does not adress it, neither does the section on gaining new spells on page 92. Did I miss something?

As I understand it, the magician does not have to relearn the spell.

Edit.:

I did just reread the part on Spell Levels on page 89 of the BRP book, and

in my view it only mentions additional POW and time, but no need to learn

the spell at a higher level.

Edited by rust

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Thanks for the prompt reply, but: why do the spells have levels at all? You could just say, hey, you learn this spell, it costs 1 mana in the basic version, and if you want to cast it with thrice the power, just take thrice the mana and the longer casting time and voilá! there you are. No need for spell levels for simple magic (sorcery is a different beast).

Thanks for the prompt reply, but: why do the spells have levels at all?

For example because the effect of a spell (e.g. SIZ of object it can lift, strength

of opposite spell it can cancel, etc.) is calculated in increments, and these are

called levels ?

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)