Introducing a new generation - and nation - to RQ and Glorantha (SPOILER WARNINGS for Starter Set Scenarios!)

Shiningbrow

So, I'm in China, and the school I work at has After School Activities, and I've offered up TTRPG, naturally using RQG. (unfortunately, only 1 hour per week... and that's not a full hour, only 50mins*).

There was an ASA fair to showcase our offerings, and so I showed a few of the pics available, and my dice collection, and had a few sign up then and there.

I had 10 students in the first trial day... including a few girls who were quite interested!  I've also been told that at least 1 of the students has been telling classmates about it, and perhaps others might want to join...  perhaps next semester, where we can have a few different games going at once...???

Unfortunately, the oldest is only in Grade 9 (so, about 14 years old) going down to Grade 6., and I expect to lose a few (especially the Koreans who don't have a grasp on my English... oddly, cos they're usually better)... which is good for the numbers!

Only one of them has played any TTRPG before, so this could be fun...

I'll run the Starter pack, and probably have 2 players per character (unless a few drop out).

Next week I'll introduce them to the possible characters, and get them to choose (before I print the full-colour sheets). I also invested in Andrew Taylor's minis Kickstarter including the pre-gens and Skybull heroes (and a couple of trolls, and ducks...), so hopefully my mate will have finished painting them soon, so they can use them as well. I've also bought a few of Dario's counters...

Naturally, within a few weeks, I expect the hangers-on to buy their own dice (very easy to get here! Although, I doubt they'll be paying the 1000RMB ($200) sets 😛 They can also buy their own minis here as well. (China really has the online shopping market sorted!!! I've just bought my veggies and eggs, and delivered in about 30 mins from a local shop).

I'm hoping that towards the end of the semester, I can get one or two of them to GM their own game, and also hopefully they can introduce us to other systems (perhaps FFG Star Wars, or Vampire).

So, I'll keep you updated as things progress!

(*I suppose I could offer it for 3 days per week, but I'm already doing another one on Mindfullness and meditation... and I'm not sure how it would go down, cos normally they want students trying out different things.)

Edited by Shiningbrow
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

This week's update...

Looks like I've lost 2 permanently (the Koreans, as expected).

Unfortunately, today I was also down a few others for various reasons... apparently, watching the football match was more important than gaming! Can you believe this generation of kids???

So, I was left with the 2 most interested, and after showing them Heroforge and my other KS minis being painted, we looked over character sheets - the Starter Set folio.

One has chosen Vishi, cos he likes the idea of going into the spirit world (yes, I told him he isn't a full shaman yet).

And My girl Isis wanted to play Narres Runepainter, the Eurmali. While I had explained that he's sort of like Loki - no-one really trusts him and all, but sometimes he's useful (and can say things that others are too conservative to say), I hadn't pointed out that if anything ever goes wrong, he gets the blame... So, she's changed her mind, and will probably take Sorala, the Lhankor Mhy scribe (and I'm giving her the sorcerous version!)

Next week, we should start at the northern gates of Jonstown, and encounter some drunk trolls... finally!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, THRAK said:

I am Chinese and am really surprised by this post. In my own gaming group I also had a Eurmali and a shaman (who is a grazelander and worships Yelm, though) , hope your young adventurers enjoy themselves in Jonstown and Dragon Pass beyond.

What surprises you about the post?

Rather coincidental about the character choices... I do hope one of the others chooses the Stormbull, for Meryn's Landing.

Since Sorala has Uz Lore at 30%, I think I'll also give Darktongue at 1D6 +Comm (or - is it more fun when no-one can really understand each other??)

Are your players experienced in RQ/RPG?

Yeah, I really hope so, and that I don't completely stuff it up, and give a really bad impression.

18 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Personally I think Narres would be a lot of fun to play - yes, troublesome, but their occupation kind of "covers up the Trickster aspect". 

I'm sure... for someone who understands the game system, the world, and the concept.

But for a complete noob, I'm passing on that.

This weeks update...

We fiiiiinnnnaaaallllllyyyyyyy got to actually playing... albeit, only for about 10 mins, after getting the characters sorted and printed, and new players informed, etc.

Currently at 5 players (not sure what the other 3 on the list are doing).

So, we have:

Sorala, the LM Scribe with sorcery.

Vishi, the soon-to-be shaman (after we've done Menyr's landing, I think I'll give him the opportunity to do that - maybe off screen, maybe at the table so the others get some understanding of it).

Yanioth, the soon-to-be Ernalda priestess.

Aranda, a Babeester Gorite from a noble family.

Mago, Stormbull initiate from Wilmskirk.

At the end of the 10mins, they had entered the North Gate of Jonstown, and entered the North Market, to a lot of noise....

My Vishi player has bought his own dice... a hollowed out set of metal dice (basically this set... https://www.amazon.com/AncientDeer-Polyhedral-Explorers-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/B091XPJFJS/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=coc%2Bdice&qid=1678184146&sr=8-8&th=1 )

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, Shiningbrow said:

What surprises you about the post?

Rather coincidental about the character choices... I do hope one of the others chooses the Stormbull, for Meryn's Landing.

Since Sorala has Uz Lore at 30%, I think I'll also give Darktongue at 1D6 +Comm (or - is it more fun when no-one can really understand each other??)[/q]

I assumed that the Uz were all pretty practiced in Tradetalk. Certainly enough for my players to mollify them - after a one punch fight/contest which caused the Uz great hilarity.

For me the big communication problem was that we had someone play Dazarim who couldn't speak Heortling, and wasn't great at Tradetalk either.

• Like 1

So, today...

I'm now up to 8 players,  with a couple who are having difficulties with the English (but we have translators). Half are girls! (Awesome!!!)

Because one of the girls may be in and out with other activities, I've given her a half-character.

Added to the above 5, we now also have:

Vasana (played by a boy).

Makarios the Chalana Arroy healer (played by a girl.. or 2)

So, I'm glad that their selections haven't been gender-based!

So, I added the others to the scenario by telling the new-comers that they were in the market when the trolls started to ravage, and the others then came down the road.

Not too surprising, the boys wanted to fight (anything... anyone!) So, I told them they can do a fight amongst themselves later to get it out of their system. I may make the Stormbull actually fight (but, since ZZ is an associate cult,.... hmmmmm. I also got him to roll Honour, which he passed easily, so I did say that he probably wouldn't  do that). Unfortunately, Vasana wanted to fight to (until I said the same thing!)

Vishi ran to get the guards, Makarios looked for people to heal, and Sorala and Yanioth wanted to try to talk to the trolls - which worked to an extent (with my best (but hardly good) troll impersonations). Session ended just as Hungry comes down the road - which almost everyone noticed with some good rolls...

Players seem excited and eager for more!

(BTW, the Runequest QuickStart is available in China.... for 129RMB (or about $20 US). https://item.jd.com/23640556011.html )

Edited by Shiningbrow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, in this week's edition.. .the new kid didn't show! Great!!!

However, my 3 other Y6 kids are annoying me, cos they're not really focussed on what's going on. Granted, their warrior-type characters haven't been drawn into this type of situation, although the one playing Vasana most certainly could have... if he actually was interested enough.

I think I'll kick them out after next week. (I've already been advised by 2 teachers that they aren't great kids to have around).

The CA tried to Sleep the Great Troll - but failed the roll casting 😞  (I am still doing basics so that they get used to the system, so no fudging)

However, no weapons were drawn, no fighting, and I allowed the guards to let the CA, Ernaldan and LMs to sleep it off in their own temples, but the fighters and Vishi were in the cells with the trolls (Vishi because I said he was an unknown in this town). They were given the opportunity to talk to the trolls, which they flatly refused.

So, now we're in the next day's trial...

• Like 1

• Shiningbrow changed the title to Introducing a new generation - and nation - to RQ and Glorantha (SPOILER WARNINGS for Starter Set Scenarios!)
  • 2 weeks later...

So, this week's episode sees the last of the three Y6 boys... as I' getting them booted! I was already warned about two of them and they did as expected.

So, down to 5 players, and I'll re-allocate one of them to one of the girls who was supposed to not be there all the time (although, that hasn't been much of a problem).

I gave them more information about their Rune spells, and good to see that they were happy in having something quite powerful and different.

Scenario-wise, it wasn't as awesome as I'd hoped it would go, but they finally got to Menyr's Landing... And, of course, they split the party, with everyone wanting to go a different direction.... naturally!

And the Stormbull failed his Sense Chaos roll.... bwahahahahahhaaaaaa

Edited by Shiningbrow
  • Like 2

So, today...

The 3 annoying boys (all warrior characters) are no longer with us! Certainly makes the game easier to run without the distractions.

And today, I was down my other boy who was playing Vishi (that's what happens when you don't do your homework!!!)

So, Vasana was chosen by the tag-team girls, so that's handy. But that means we're down a Stormbull and Babeester Gor... two warriors most definitely needed soon!

As far as the game is concerned, they found the girl, and Sorala managed to get her to come with her back to the other 3 (who failed a search roll to notice anything out of place).

In an unbelievable twist, the Chalana Arroy initiate wanted to hit the girl over the head to knock her out, so she'd stop being scared...

Shortly after, when they went to the house with the victims (both Sartarite & Lunar), Vasana wanted to slit the throats of the Lunars, and no-one wanted to help the poor, injured (poisoned) farmers...

I don't think they're getting into character!!! They're worse than the boys!

• Like 2

Yay... finally!!! (again)

Finally - we have some combat!

(after, once again, some wonderful ideas about throwing the little girl out the window, or using her as a meat shield... these Y8 girl students are nasty!!!

While the gang were all in the ex-temple, the scorpionmen came at them from the front door and from the underground temple (currently only 3, but there are more to come :D)

However, virtually everyone made their scan rolls, so saw them coming in time to react...

Sorala, closest to one of them, took a swing (and a miss). So did the Scorpionman... until the tail came down... and like all good warriors, took an arrow... I mean, stinger... to the (right) knee - and down she went like a sack of not suffering from poisoned potatoes! (nice CON roll!)

Makarios the CA healer tries to come to the rescue with a Sleep spell! Yah, he succeeds.... but somehow the scorp actually resists!

Vasana tries to take one on by herself - but lots of swinging an missing all around.

Vishi decides to intervene, using his DaggerAxe... and the GM is heartbroken to see the 02 come up... failed parry.... hit in the 12 (Chest).... not much point in rolling - one scorpionman insta-killed... grrrrrrr. (Cousin Monkey is still a coward, and hides in the corner with the little girl... both screaming loudly).

Yanioth tries her luck... again, lots of swinging and missing! (I didn't know Yanioth was married!)

Now we're moving along!!!

Oh, and I now have 2 players with their own dice...errr, I mean lethal weapons! Yep, they've both bought the heavy metal dice 🤘... the stuff that puts dents in floors and tables! (and those D4s are like caltrops!!! Nasty and sharp...)

Edited by Shiningbrow
  • Like 1