Glorantha for Pathfinder 2: wild speculation thread

smiorgan

34 minutes ago, svensson said:

Sometimes Hope is just too stupid to die... like those folks who spend $100 a week on lotto tickets 😁

You should always spend $1 per week on the lottery, because it infinitely increases your odds of winning!  🤪

(OTOH, not even $100 materially increases your odds above that first buy-in...)

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 hours ago, smiorgan said:

You have seen the posts on the social media. I think Chaosium (and Paizo) are announcing Pathfinder Glorantha on Monday. 

After the OGL controversy Paizo and Chaosium have become closer and the move makes sense commercially. Of course I might be completely mistaken.

Would you play Pathfinder 2 in Glorantha? Are you excited or worried?

Personally, I am ambivalent. With RQG I already have my Glorantha system of choice. I love RQ and BRP. Yet, it's some time I am curious about Pathfinder 2. I like tactical combat in the vein of D&D4 and I am always curious of trying new systems.

That said I am probably not going to buy a Pathfinder version of the Dragon Pass setting of RQG. But if they decided to develop another area of Glorantha... That would be super interesting. Ralios for Pathfinder would be very hard to resist.

Looking forward to be proven completely wrong in 2 days...

While this might appeal to an audience who are system snobs who only play D&D and its variants, it has zero appeal to me.

Please don't misunderstand me.  If I am going to play D&D I personally prefer Paizo's Pathfinder as it allows for more depth in characters than D&D5, not that I don't see certain advantages in how 5th Ed trimmed a lot of "exploit fat" (then added it back on in other areas).

Personally, it concerns me that RQ and Glorantha don't run to a Character Class System at all.  Magic is intrinsic to all characters in Glorantha, and no version of D&D seems able to adequately address that.  I can see how percentile skills could rudely translate to levels, but Character Class Systems don't work with the setting.

I mean, EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER in RQ is basically a cleric, because they have initiated into a Cult at some level.  Then at 10th level they become paladins (rune lords)?  Should Gloranthan Cults become classes in their own right?  

Then you have the issue of thieves.  In RQ there are a couple of thief deities, but thieves simply aren't as prevalent as in D&D.

I am genuinely curious to understand how these issues are being addressed/resolved in the forthcoming publication.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

While this might appeal to an audience who are system snobs who only play D&D and its variants, it has zero appeal to me.

Please don't misunderstand me.  If I am going to play D&D I personally prefer Paizo's Pathfinder as it allows for more depth in characters than D&D5, not that I don't see certain advantages in how 5th Ed trimmed a lot of "exploit fat" (then added it back on in other areas).

Personally, it concerns me that RQ and Glorantha don't run to a Character Class System at all.  Magic is intrinsic to all characters in Glorantha, and no version of D&D seems able to adequately address that.  I can see how percentile skills could rudely translate to levels, but Character Class Systems don't work with the setting.

I mean, EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER in RQ is basically a cleric, because they have initiated into a Cult at some level.  Then at 10th level they become paladins (rune lords)?  Should Gloranthan Cults become classes in their own right?  

Then you have the issue of thieves.  In RQ there are a couple of thief deities, but thieves simply aren't as prevalent as in D&D.

I am genuinely curious to understand how these issues are being addressed/resolved in the forthcoming publication.

You are certainly correct that no version of D&D (or Pathfinder), out of the box, fits in with the concept that everyone casts magic spells. That merely requires us to be inventive.

13th Age Glorantha solved that problem by creating cult-specific classes. The difficulty of that approach is that you need a lot of classes to cover the playable cults. The core rulebook only had 11 classes (four of which are essentially versions of Orlanth cultists); to my knowledge, they never got around to adding any more.

My approach (using 2nd Edition Pathfinder as the chassis) is to award a spirit (or sorcery) spell and a rune spell at every level. This fits in with the d20 paradigm of increasing power associated with gaining levels. Further, a PC can specialize in magic by multiclassing into shaman, acolyte (rune priest), or sorcerer; doing so gives them more spells and flexibility. The initial difficulty was dividing the Pathfinder spells into different groups. But once that was done, it was up to the players to pick the best spells for their characters.

Designers could easily come up with other options; these are just two viable approaches.

I look at rogues (the class formerly known as thief) differently. In Pathfinder, they are the skill monkey class who also fills a different combat role. I have two rogues in my campaign; one is a Daka Fal Shaman and the other is Lhankor Mhy Sorcerer. While they are both rogues, they very different characters.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 5:14 AM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I have some D&D / PF playing friends with some interest in Glorantha.  I'll try to GM this for them.

Speaking of GMing, in my limited experience, Pathfinder is an order of magnitude easier to GM than RQG.  Far clearer rules, less need for GM creativity and thought.  Note, this isn't always a good thing & sometimes GM creativity is good!

RQG is not hard to GM.  Just remember YGWV.  You don't have to go hardcore canon mode.  Screw your courage to the sticking point and just do it ! 👍

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gary Norton said:

You are certainly correct that no version of D&D (or Pathfinder), out of the box, fits in with the concept that everyone casts magic spells. That merely requires us to be inventive.

13th Age Glorantha solved that problem by creating cult-specific classes. The difficulty of that approach is that you need a lot of classes to cover the playable cults. The core rulebook only had 11 classes (four of which are essentially versions of Orlanth cultists); to my knowledge, they never got around to adding any more.

I created some fan classes for 13th age Glorantha, covering Lankhor Mhy, Yelmalio and Yelorna, Elmal, and Kolat.  

4 hours ago, Darius West said:

Very much so, the runelord as paladin was unwritten canon back in the 80s. At least at the tables I played in Victoria, Edmonton and Jasper...

Nor as respected (usually)...

Harmast: "What? These cows gov, what cows... I don't see any cows... Bosh, have you seen any cows?"
Bosh: Moooooo!

This made me and my duck adventurers very happy and unopposed at getting rich. Yes, it was the 80's we played very easy and simple stereotypes. Sorry... <hangs head, forgetting about horns... swears...>

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

Glue your courage to the sticking point and just do it !

Did you mean:
"Screw your courage to the sticking place" 

Pedantically yours
Bill, da barbaric one!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

They're going to be announcing an Elden Ring mod in which you're one of the Masters of Luck and Death trapped in the Tournament since the death of Belintar.  The only real worry that Fromsoft has is that the average Gloranthan fan would have some clue about what is going on which they feel will detract from the game.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:12 AM, smiorgan said:

Would you play Pathfinder 2 in Glorantha? Are you excited or worried?

Not particularly, although I would play it at conventions.

13th Age Glorantha was pretty good but would Pathfinder Glorantha be different enough to be useful? I don't know Pathfinder at all, except having played one Pathfinder game at a convention, so I have no idea how close it is to 13th Age.

That said I am probably not going to buy a Pathfinder version of the Dragon Pass setting of RQG. But if they decided to develop another area of Glorantha... That would be super interesting. Ralios for Pathfinder would be very hard to resist.

I probably would buy it, to provide support.

21 hours ago, MOB said:

Looking forward to be proven completely wrong in 2 days...

Will save you the time: yes, you are completely mistaken.

Yet, it's some time I am curious about Pathfinder 2. I like tactical combat in the vein of D&D4 and I am always curious of trying new systems.

If you want to play in Glorantha in that vein, do check out 13th Age Glorantha if you haven't already (one of the co-authors was the author of D&D4).

Ah ...

20 hours ago, smiorgan said:

Thanks a lot for clearing that out, MOB. Now, I'm even more curious of the big announcement! 😅 

It could be HeroQuest rules! Ah, no, that is not this year ...

Maybe Chaosium are buying Hasbro.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I'm still kind of hoping for a new BRP "Core Book" - not necessarily somthing like the Big Gold Book, more a generic, streamlined version of BRP, probably with a fantasy angle in the foreground. Something easy and accesible for the people who just want to play fantasy but with a BRP framework. Yes, there's already OpenQuest, but I would really love to see Chaosiums take.

Or maybe they haven't dropped that Chris Spivey Science Fiction RPG after all ... but no, the font of the announcement doesn't really say scifi to me, so I won't get my hopes up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakob said:

I'm still kind of hoping for a new BRP "Core Book" - not necessarily somthing like the Big Gold Book, more a generic, streamlined version of BRP, probably with a fantasy angle in the foreground. Something easy and accesible for the people who just want to play fantasy but with a BRP framework ...

You seem to be talking about "Magic World," tbh.

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Hmmmm, I wonder... New Path... 

With the deflation of a particularly large game company, and the thirst for somewhat generic fantasy that's NOT DnD, I'm wondering if it couldn't be a new edition of Magic World. 

Or, is it possible that Lord’s of the Middle Sea is ready?

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 1