A question about Babeester Gor

Agentorange

On 3/10/2023 at 9:42 AM, Nozbat said:

Righteous Anger rather than testosterone-driven machismo ?

Righteous Anger killed a whole valley of defenseless healers.  Sounds like estrogen driven homicidal mania to me.  Did they steal her timtams?

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1

I mean, it always seemed pretty clear-cut to me. Babeester Gor is explicitly a goddess of vengeance, and doesn’t basically every story about vengeance show how easy it is for it to get out of hand and harm the innocent?

Vengeance is cosmologically necessary in Glorantha, that doesn’t make it good and certainly doesn’t make it infallible. Babeester would be quite unique among the deities of Glorantha if her judgment was always on point!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leingod said:

I mean, it always seemed pretty clear-cut to me. Babeester Gor is explicitly a goddess of vengeance, and doesn’t basically every story about vengeance show how easy it is for it to get out of hand and harm the innocent?

Vengeance is cosmologically necessary in Glorantha, that doesn’t make it good and certainly doesn’t make it infallible. Babeester would be quite unique among the deities of Glorantha if her judgment was always on point!

On another thread (possibly FB?) I suggested that a great player character concept would be a BG who had harmed the innocent, and felt guilty and a desire to make amends.  It was largely scoffed at, since "they" thought Ernaldan doesn't make mistakes in identifying the oathbreajers and defilers.

Glad to see some support here - the Gods of Glorantha are far from perfect.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

On another thread (possibly FB?) I suggested that a great player character concept would be a BG who had harmed the innocent, and felt guilty and a desire to make amends.  It was largely scoffed at, since "they" thought Ernaldan doesn't make mistakes in identifying the oathbreajers and defilers.

Glad to see some support here - the Gods of Glorantha are far from perfect.

I mean... Babs has the "Berserk" spell.
Harm-to-the-innocent is always a risk when Berserk.

Plus, "omniscience" has never been a feature of any Gloranthan deity, that I know of; mistakes are possible, even by Ernalda & Orlanth.

(Note that Orlanth's key myth is all about how badly he F'ed up, in his ignorance; and had to go fix his F-up. )

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/9/2023 at 5:37 PM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

It is intriguing that a Storm Bull can be calmed out of their Berserk rage by a Chalana Arroy, but a Babeester Gor in her berserk rage cannot be calmed by a CA, Ernaldan, or similar.

In my group we usually play that an Ernaldan can chill a BG out of berserker, based on a line describing Ernalda doing just that from either Heortling Mythology or Esrolia: Land of 10k Goddesses.

• Like 1

The original Sekhmet myth has Ra send Sekhmet as the incarnation of his vengeance/his eye to kill humans conspiring to destroy him, but then Sekhmet continues killing humans indiscriminately, at which point Ra dyes beer red to make it look like blood and gets Sekhmet blackout drunk, and when she wakes up she's not interested in killing anymore.

So I think that the healers of Healer Valley would have done nothing wrong, based on the source material used.

• Helpful 1

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

6 hours ago, dumuzid said:

In my group we usually play that an Ernaldan can chill a BG out of berserker, based on a line describing Ernalda doing just that from either Heortling Mythology or Esrolia: Land of 10k Goddesses.

Hmmm.
I'd love that citation (if anyone can dig it up).

C'es ne pas un .sig