2300AD Conversion rules for Basic Roleplaying - out soon!

pansophy

After some months of fantasy stuff I am now moving back into science fiction,

and your conversion rules are an excellent opportunity to use the 2300 AD ma-

terial for a new low-tech setting - Thank you very much indeed. ;t)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" for the work that went into this. I bought the 2300AD boxed set back in the day and a number of the supplements when a local bookstore was clearing out most of their RPG section. Never really used much of it, except some Kafer adventures for a BRP time travel campaign.

My pleasure, ORtrail. It was really fun doing it and although there are some minor errors in the PDFs I think they are still usable. And I hope people like them and use it not only for 2300AD but for many Sci-Fi settings. To me 2300AD always was the starting point for a more realistic space travelling game, I never really cared about 'canon' and did what I wanted to do with it: Aliens, Event Horizon, Cthulhu, Starship Troopers, etc. It was always possible and very easy to use my handwritten rules to create these settings.

I think I will do an EABA conversion, but that depends what BTRCs 'Fires of Heaven' module offers. ;)

• Like 1

EABA conversion:

These are my initial ideas. Use the 'd20 to EABA' conversion rules for Attributes (2300AD to EABA, not BRP to EABA!). Use the skills listed in the 2300AD rule book as they are (do not use any EABA skills). The 'Initial Training' in 2300AD converts to 1S skill packages for characters.

NPCs are converted like this:

Skill rating:       EABA skill rating

0                   2d (or +0d)

1                   3d

2                   4d

3                   5d

Weapons and Equipment would need a closer look, but there are enough examples in the main rule book to relate to. Usually different weapons of the same class will vary within the frame of + or - 2.

Renown can be converted to the "Trait:Status" in EABA, still not 100% sure how to vary that in game, but it should be possible in a way. Maybe by using a kind of additional 'Hitpoint' column for it. Not sure exactly.

The rest is more or less fluff and nothing too complicated. You also want to use hit-locations when playing EABA.

And really, that should be it ;D

• 5 months later...

This is fantastic, I always wondered how this setting would work with this system, or the RQ rules. It looks nice from what I've seen so far! Well done.

BUT

It seems odd that this has been given the thumbs up, when the D20 thing is in the making? Personally I don't think I will like that version, I dont want to play those rules, and I dont think they will feel right, or will support the setting.

Finally, when can we expect some work on starships from you? I wanna see stuff that makes sense and is fun to play!

:)

Guest Vile Traveller

It seems odd that this has been given the thumbs up, when the D20 thing is in the making?

D20? :?

Do you mean Mongoose Traveller? I haven't heard anything about D20, but the MGT version has been in the making for years - seems to keep being pushed back.

I am trying to work out ship creation system, but RL keeps knocking me back, lol. IN 2300, you could use the old 2300 ship rules which, well, imho was always too complicated. Even though I spent hours and hours in school creating ships with the LBB. I still maintain that a ship system could be well hobbled together with either the Other Suns systems, which I feel is still too complicated, but interesting. Or better yet, I have fallen heads over heals for worlds beyond, ship creation system. I think the WB can be and is easily adaptedable to all syetems and eras, with a minimum of work. I hope to post somethings in a week or two.

well, at the time I was writing the two documents, I simply wanted to put my years old notes together in a presentable PDF. So I asked Mark Miller and the original artists if it would be OK and put the files together.

There is nothing in work currently, as I was waiting for a vehicle construction set of one of the forum members.

I must admit I left the BRP rules a while ago, as I started a StarSIEGE campaign.

As far as the Mongoose version goes: it won't attract me. The Traveller system never appealed to me and Mongoose as a company ... well, I do not like them. ;)

Guest Vile Traveller

There is a d20 version in PDF, and supposedly coming out in print sometime.

That's the new website of the former T20 (D20 Traveller) owner after he gave up his old forum to new management by popular demand. I don't expect anything to ever come of it, and I would advise people to be very cautious about spending money on that site based on the experience of several T20 buyers and contributors.

pansophy, I agree - I used to be quite heavily into Traveller, and the new MGT system is (IMO) an improvement over the old CT/MGT system, but somehow it still leaves me cold. I much prefer my percentages these days.

That's the new website of the former T20 (D20 Traveller) owner after he gave up his old forum to new management by popular demand. I don't expect anything to ever come of it, and I would advise people to be very cautious about spending money on that site based on the experience of several T20 buyers and contributors.

pansophy, I agree - I used to be quite heavily into Traveller, and the new MGT system is (IMO) an improvement over the old CT/MGT system, but somehow it still leaves me cold. I much prefer my percentages these days.

Looks like your right. There is a PDF here, but I have no clue if this is authorized. Found with a Google search; first item on the list.

SDLeary

Thats the same designer thats now doing it for Mongoose, Colin Dunn. Its set after the Kafer war. If I'm gonna play 2300AD I would expect to start before or during that war. And as I've said, the rules system has no appeal for me.

But

The new 2300AD IS available for pre order on the Mongoose website here

Cover art looks nice, but then 2300AD always had good cover art... Ofc It will be the standard mongoose Traveller rules tho...

Will be interesting to see what they do with making travelling around friendlier and dealt with in a little more detail than previously (A bit sketchy and too open for a game that rests on the idea of travelling between the stars), as well as handling the ships you're piloting. Always seemed to lack a little info on standard trade routes, stopping off points and services and frankly feel/atmosphere at those points. (trawling through memory here)

I must admit I left the BRP rules a while ago, as I started a StarSIEGE campaign.

I dont know anything about this game Pansophy, are you playing it as is, or for your 2300AD setting or another?

Starsiege is a toolbox game that does contain a setting as well (but is optional). I like it very much, as it is very rules light and ticks the right boxes for me. The setting itself is very open, enough to get your imagination running, but not limiting you in any way. If you want a well defined setting, this is not it. I love that kind, though, as I can put in anything I want and am not restricted to keep it canon.

For my group I added some 2300AD stuff, weapon names, combat armour, vehicles and spaceships, but I also added Aliens style xenomorphs, the cool tank and biogenetics. It was easy to fill some gaps with cyperparts to create cyborgs and yes, there was one adventure to stop an assassin robot (terminator). I plan to use old Star Frontier adventures as well as Firefly ideas - aand all will fit into that loose universe. The rule support my game style well (no fiddly weapon stuff, fixed damage, no increasing hitpoints, small skill list and attributes do affect die rolls) and blend nicely into the background. It does have a logical scale mechanism and size chart, vehicle rules and anything I would need in a Sci-Fi or Post-Apo game.

As a longtime BRP gamer, that is the first other rule system, that really attracts me - in fact I like it more, as the skill list is much smaller and the rules are much lighter. It uses a d20 though, but it is not "d20"ish in any way. Anyway, enough of advertising ;)

I like the BRP 2300AD rules I made, I played them for a long time, but I am really missing a good vehicle design/rule system. I do not want a tabletop board game system, but something that involves more than a chase chart. A sci-Fi game needs some space action - and rules coming with it. And that is where BRP lacks. There's heaps of Fantasy stuff around for BRP, but nothing really for Sci-Fi Space Opera. The currently available Sci-Fi settings/adventures are very nice to play, but still there's no vehicle rules. To me, that's like a Fantasy game without Magic. I worked around these shortcomings many times, nobody felt missing something, but I as the GM did miss that kind of stuff.

So, when will there be more BRP 2300AD stuff? When someone puts out a good vehicle construction system with some good rules. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Are the 2300AD files still available? Everytime I try to download it gives me the same 'Whoa, your downloading to fast" message, but I have not downloaded anything. I would love to check out the conversion. I have been playing 2300AD since 1986 and D&D since 82. Anyone with info on this please contact me.

Thank you.

Tanstaafl2300

• 12 years later...