The age of the ORC begins: Chaosium to release a new edition of Basic Roleplaying in April using the Open RPG Creative License

MOB

200e11ea-c780-859a-2db9-3437d4757161.png

For Immediate Release

Ann Arbor, MI—Chaosium, creators of the award-winning Call of Cthulhu tabletop roleplaying game, announced today the April release of Basic Roleplaying: The Universal Game Engine in PDF, with hardcover to follow in 2023.

Basic Roleplaying (“BRP”), is the game engine that powers Chaosium’s most popular games including Call of Cthulhu and RuneQuest. For 40 years the BRP system has been lauded for intuitive and easy-to-understand “roll low” mechanics, which makes games designed with BRP accessible and quick to learn. BRP games keep the focus on roleplaying, and exploring the setting that the game master has prepared.

This release serves as an update to the core BRP system. Under the new Open RPG Creative License (ORC), game creators are free to use the BRP rules engine to develop their own games, royalty-free and without further permission from Chaosium.

c2117c98-9026-5bce-74d9-70dada233cdb.png

"Chaosium was one of the first game companies to sign on to the Open RPG Creative License initiative being spearheaded by our friends at Paizo,” said Chaosium COO Neil Robinson. “We're pleased to have our core rules system released under the ORC as an example of an open RPG license that anyone can use.”

Basic Roleplaying: The Universal Game Engine contains all the core rules for character creation and advancement, deadly and tactical combat, magic, psychic powers, mutations, superpowers, weapons, equipment, and vehicles applicable to any setting and genre.

Players can use this book to create a seamless roleplaying experience using an existing setting, or one of their own design.

200e11ea-c780-859a-2db9-3437d4757161.png

Basic Roleplaying: The Universal Game Engine will be released in PDF in April, and will be available directly from Chaosium.com, and DriveThru RPG.

A hardcover release will follow later in 2023.

• Like 16
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 5

• MOB featured and pinned this topic

Damn cool! Now I'm very curious whether this will be based on the BGB, on CoC7/RoL, on RuneQuest: Glorantha, on something upcoming like LotMS, or whether it will be bits and pieces of all of it or something unified and new ... Jason Durall being one of the two designers named on the cover points more towards a RQ/LotMS connection

• Like 2

The contents list somewhat echoes the BGB; and Jason has been working on a streamlined BRP for LotMS, alongside his other duties. And given the timescales, and Chaosium’s wider slate of material, my guess is this is more likely an evolution / streamlining of the BGB rather than an extensive, radical re-write.

I would speculate that some options have been trimmed, possibly for future supplements, and others refined with lessons learned since 2008.

But we will know soon enough.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NickMiddleton said:

The contents list somewhat echoes the BGB; and Jason has been working on a streamlined BRP for LotMS, alongside his other duties. And given the timescales, and Chaosium’s wider slate of material, my guess is this is more likely an evolution / streamlining of the BGB rather than an extensive, radical re-write.

My thoughts exactly. I have a hunch it will be closer to BGB than CoC7e or Rivers of London, though I wouldn't be surprised if it included options from them.

• Like 3

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

Based on the preview of LotMS Jason provided on FB, I can only imagine BPR will be quite good (ok, we have only glimpsed at character creation). Classic BRP with Drives, Reputation, Personality, Connections, etc... The only thing I didn't like in the lack of skill categories. I love my SC and how they are based on characteristics.

• Like 1

Who is the cover artist?

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

I really love the toolbox perspective from the BGB. You can configure a really streamlined game or a really heavyweight one up to your taste or your table needs. Cover art shows a Vitruvian swiss tool man.

I'd like an update that includes lastest options like, CoC's 7th push your luck, characterists x5, RQG's passions, reputations, personality traits like runes and more power magic options.

Jason has my trust.

Edited by albesias
  • Like 4

The acronym BRUGE reminds both me and google of Bruges/Brügge, the biggest city in central Europe in the middle ages and financial capital of the Hanseatic League(s).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

my guess is this is more likely an evolution / streamlining of the BGB rather than an extensive, radical re-write.

Yes, I also think it's an update of the existing BGB not a rewrite/ redesign. 

So, I don't think it will take the CoC7 / Rivers of London route.

It might incorporate material from RQG and/ or the upcoming Lords of the Middle Sea.

But my guess is that it will be mostly based on the BGB.

And yes I bet the Resistance Table will be still there.