Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition by Gen Con 2011?

hanszurcher

I went to the "What's new at Chaosium" seminar (probably better named Charlie Krank chats with a 1/2 dozen fans) at DDC. It was a very informal question and answer session, along with some new products we could check out. Steve Perrin also sat in mostly adding some color from the golden age of Chaosium.

A copy of the soon to be released BRP Hardcover was available to check out. Some minor errata was fixed, but it is otherwise the same as the existing paperback. Personally I think it looks really good as a hardcover, and appears to be good quality with nice heavy paper. He said the book is on its way back from the printers so should be available soon.

The new CoC screen was also available. It is a nice heavy stock (like a hardcover book cover), if you like GM screens it looks very usable. It also includes a siz / range chart from the French edition rules that looks kind of interesting (bonus / penalty based on Siz rating and range). I don't recall seeing this option in BRP either but it looks promising. It looks useful for BRP but does have a lot of CoC specific charts (SAN loss, insanity types etc).

A 7th edition CoC is going to happen, and is expected to be available for Gencon 2011. There will not be any major rules changes, but it may include some small rule additions / revisions. A special 30th edition version is a good possibility, but not definate at this point.

Not a lot of BRP news beyond the new hardcover, and the plans for a full Classic Fantasy. They are looking at redoing a lot of older CoC material with a look at imporving and expanding, not simply reprinting. Cthulhu by Gaslight, and At the Mountains of Madness are currently being worked on.

The general attitude was positive, it sounds like sales are good (at least by Chaosium standards) and Charlie said they have recently cleared up some issues that the company has been dealing with, which will allow more focus on new products and getting more "official" BRP materials out to game store shelves to go beside the BRP core rules increasing its visibility.

He said the Monographs have been far more successful than expected, and they are pleased with the licensed products for both BRP and the alternate CoC games (Trail of Cthulhu etc). He also commented that many past authors have been getting in contact with him recently for work on new products / revisions of older products.

He made a comment about the monographs serving somewhat like magazine articles from the old days of Space Gamer etc. I may be reading more into the comment than was intended but I got the idea they may be looking at expanding the scope of monograph submissions.