Attacks & Parries Over 100% rules question

Baphomet69

I'm slightly confused about one aspect of this rule (Page 198, BGB). First column, 6th paragraph, last sentence: "An attack cannot be split to attack the same target twice - the attacks must be against separate targets."

Let's assume you have 3 attacks. Is the line above saying that if you are fighting only one opponent you can only use one of the attacks?

There's a big difference between multiple attacks and split attacks.

Somebody with an attack of 300% can split his attack to have 3 attacks of 100% each, assuming that he has the SRs/DEX Ranks to use them. If he is fighting 3 enemies then he could attack each one once at 100%. If he attacked a single enemy then he would have to attack using the full 300% as he cannot split that attack against the same single foe.

However, if he had two attacks at 300% then he could hit a single enemy twice at 300% or attack multiple enemies using split attacks or any valid combination of attacks.

I have fond memories of playing a magicked-up centaur who would attack while Berserk with a transformed head (Bite), a spear, Fist and Kick, splitting each attack 2 or 3 times. He was big and very quick (DEX and SIZ above 21) so have low SRs and had magical abilities that allowed his attacks to happen simultaneously. He was useless against skilled foes, but would smash through hordes like a maniacal windmill while his comrades would concentrate on the big boys. I think that his record was to take out 8 NPCs in one round. Happy days.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Assuming a human(oid) with a weapon, say a sword, how could he get two attacks at 300%, or is that just for situations like critters with claw/claw/bite, for example?

Its generally for critters. Since animals like a tiger will pounce with two claws, if they connect, can follow up with a bite. This generally precludes then from being able to parry or dodge in most cases.

Humans can have a weapon in each hand, say sword and dagger, but according to the rules in most BRP games, can only be used against separate targets.

This follows the intent that an attack consists of many blows rather than just 1 swing with a weapon. It is assumed that in each attack towards an enemy, you give it your best. After that, there is no second chance.

It is somewhat arbitrary, but makes sense.

Otherwise, you could have someone with an attack of 300% playing the odds and attempt six attacks against the same person (DEX strike ranks notwithstanding).

One attack per target. However, the more skilled you become, the more targets you can engage.

The best way of having extra attacks is to use the Riposte rules from Stormbringer.

A master (skill 90+) can turn a successful parry into an extra attack. Using these rules, each attack after the first suffers a 30% (not sure on this penalty. Someone confirm?) Cumulative penalty. So if attacking at 110% next attack will be at 80% then 50% then 20% and that's it.

There are differences between the SB1 rules I remember best to the SB5 rules. Sadly, these rules never made it into the BGB.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

I don't like that at all. From the SB5 rules on 115 & 117.

"If 101 percent or higher with an attack, an adventurer can choose to attack once in a round at full percentage, or to attack more than once in a round, splitting the attack percentiles between the attacks. The division need not be even, but each attack must include at least 50 percent.

Given enough skill, an attack can be made once every five DEX-ranks.

If fighting two or more foes and your adventurer has the requisite skill, choose order of attacks."

Looking through I can't find any mention of multiple attacks having to be against different targets.

So, here's why I don't like it. In my experience, when the PCs are facing off against a real heavy hitter one very effective tactic is to get two PCs to team up. The first PC acts as a decoy of sorts, splitting attacks not necessarily to land a blow, but to wear down the NPC. After a flurry of attack/parry the second PC, who has been holding her attack, steps in against a distracted foe. By taking away the ability to attack the same target more than once in around you take away this significant strategy.

70/420

I don't like that at all. From the SB5 rules on 115 & 117.

"If 101 percent or higher with an attack, an adventurer can choose to attack once in a round at full percentage, or to attack more than once in a round, splitting the attack percentiles between the attacks. The division need not be even, but each attack must include at least 50 percent.

Given enough skill, an attack can be made once every five DEX-ranks.

If fighting two or more foes and your adventurer has the requisite skill, choose order of attacks."

Looking through I can't find any mention of multiple attacks having to be against different targets.

So, here's why I don't like it. In my experience, when the PCs are facing off against a real heavy hitter one very effective tactic is to get two PCs to team up. The first PC acts as a decoy of sorts, splitting attacks not necessarily to land a blow, but to wear down the NPC. After a flurry of attack/parry the second PC, who has been holding her attack, steps in against a distracted foe. By taking away the ability to attack the same target more than once in around you take away this significant strategy.

I've doubled checked and you're right about SB5. It also restricts Ripostes to no more than 1 in a round per person and only on a critical parry. SB1 was different.

Also checked RQ3 Deluxe softcover book. P57 includes restriction on splitting attacks to different targets.

I guess this is one thing that Chaosium change their mind about.

Anyone know the treatment in MRQ2?

Likes to sneak around

115/420