Religion, Satire, and MGF

mfbrandi

On 5/22/2023 at 3:28 PM, soltakss said:

Professional intermediaries such as Heralds. 

I'm not sure Praxians have heralds, and I'm not sure Broos would understand who they were and what they represented.  I'm sure the heralds would be a bit butt-hurt if their important social role was not respected and they were captured by broos.

On 5/29/2023 at 9:52 AM, Darius West said:

I'm not sure Praxians have heralds, and I'm not sure Broos would understand who they were and what they represented.  I'm sure the heralds would be a bit butt-hurt if their important social role was not respected and they were captured by broos.

The role of heralds may be fulfilled by Zebra Tribe em-issaries hired for the occasion. There is some saying about peace coming in black and white...

• Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 11:25 PM, Squaredeal Sten said:

Our Gloranthas do vary, probably because the presentations of Sacred Time have been ambiguous in that regard.  There is more than one essay on heroquesting in Arcane Lore.  I happen to like the second one, page 9.

As I understand it the usual Sacred Time worship ceremonies are " in - world heroquests." That is essentially passion plays with a magical overlay.  The participants and initiates probably do not travel to their gods' homes. But gods and spirits will manifest inside the sacred precinct..  g33k presents a great  description of this, above, and I will steal if from him in future.

"Now read page 11. *How Heroquesting works": "Crossing over" takes participants to the second level of heroquesting, which is less usual, and takes participants to the hero plane.  Which is still not to the gods' plane though they are in a mythic story, really in it, not just portraying it.  As I understand it the audience does not cross over with the questers.  

The third level, page 12, is  Other World Heroquesting.  This is where they cross over into the Gods World.  It says that pretty plainly.

At Sacred Time everyone is closer to the gods' world / time.  It is easier to cross over to the other side, but still not automatic.  Your in world heroquest may be bumped to the second level because the universe between your GM's ears wants to.

As I said. There is more than one essay.  We both await the promised heroquesting rules.  

Sorry to Necro this, but I found a relevant quote the other day.  Guide, p.160 "The God World cannot be reached physically. mortal worshippers reach it temporarily during Holy Day and Sacred Time ceremonies, and permanently upon death".

Given the comment about death, I take the 'temporarily' to mean they get there but don't stay there.

Now admittedly, it doesn't say "always" or "occasionally". But to me it's pretty clear that's what being said is that participants cross over, regularly at least.  So I can't agree that usual Sacred Time is in-world. That quote from the guide says to me that the reverse is true - the usual Sacred Time experience is crossing over.  Participants in sacred time rituals do regularly travel to the homes of the gods.

The way i look at it, all heroquesting is ritual magic; performing deeds for their magical consequences. Some such rituals work better if they take place on a certain date, or at night. Some work better on the top of a mountain, generally the higher the better.

And some work best, or will only work at all, when the are performed on the moon, in the inaccessible depths of the sea, or in the underworld. 

s all heroquesting involves crossing over to interact with the God World/God Time, it's just that sometime you have to go to Hell first.