Dumb Question about Glorantha

Mankcam

I think I already know the answer to this, but I thought this was the place to ask...

Does anyone know if Chaosium will ever do any more Glorantha 3rd Age supplements using BRP?

Mongoose is doing a fine job with MRQ but as it's all Glorantha 2nd Age it tends to make my old supplements passe, and I would have loved to see some 3rd Age stuff again.

I know Issaries Inc has the copyrights, but no matter how much I have played HeroWars it just doesn't do it for me. The magic is more in keeping with my vision of Glorantha, but the system isn't visceral enough for my tastes, I really think BRP does it justice.

Does anyone know if Greg Stafford has inferred anything regarding BRP Glorantha? I tend to think that he's over BRP himself, but I thought if he ever has suggested such a thing then someone in this forum may know...

Just a desperate thought

cheers

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Guest Vile Traveller

I can't say I'm any kind of authority on what Greg Stafford says, but AFAIK there are not even rumours of such a thing. I would be extremely surprised, to say the least, unless it had been announced yesterday. Greg's vision of Glorantha is now clearly very different to what it was when RuneQuest (Chaosium's RuneQuest) was based there. The only reason Mongoose gets to run riot in the 2nd age is because it has a reset button.

But why not adapt Herowars supplements to RuneQuest or BRP? Admittedly you'd have to discard everything but the fluff, so there would be quite a bit of work making up all rules-related stuff, especially NPC stats.

Yep, Hero Wars isn't too hard to port over - I'm actually GMing the HW Trader Princes campaign "Blood Over Gold" using RQ/BRP, so it's no biggie. I just miss not having new 3rd Age campaign material and stats etc, and the discussion has arisen in my troupe a few times but I was certain it was just a dodgy comic-shop rumour about BRP Glorantha 3rd Age stuff, as Greg Stafford has made himself pretty clear where he sits from what I've read from the Issaries Inc site.

I was just throwing it out there really, considering some people on this forum may potentially be "in-the-know" on such things. And yes, there has been rumours of such a thing as BRP Glorantha, but I frequent the comic book/rpg scene here in Australia, so it's pretty provincial as far as being close to the source of all things in regards to roleplaying, and all kinds of rumours start here. Thank god for the internet forums to set things straight...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Soltakss made some notes on converting HeroWars to D100/BRP, which might help with using later Gloranthan material with BRP:

Additionally, a good number of the new (and old) Third Age Glorantha works from Issaries are mostly system independent:

One key point that people have made is that the newer Issaries material does present a Glorantha with a differing feel to the older RQ material. Although you can mix and match to taste.

Edited by dragonewt

Guest Vile Traveller

Anyway, it doesn't look like Glorantha is a terribly marketable property these days. It was ground-breaking in its time, but there are a lot of other settings out there now, many of which hang together a bit better.

Well I don't know if Glorantha is a hugely marketable property, but the setting is pretty good (despite the Ducks!), it has just as much playability (if not more) than Middle -Earth or Hyboria as far as a fantasy setting goes. I think Mongoose are having fun with it, there's certainly enough resources out to indicate that it must be selling, it's just that it's an Age too early for my tastes...

I love some of the flavour changes with Hero Quest, primarily I think Gloranthan Magic comes across better in that system than it did with RQ, but that's nothing that can't be tweaked using BRP as core rules.

Thanks for those links Dragonewt, I'll check out those conversions. I've got Hero Quest and a few of the Hero Wars supplements, and I've been considering grabbing some Stafford Libary stuff as well as the Sartar Companion. I guess it's no biggie, I was just throwing it out there to the Void to see what came back, because y'know, Internet Forums are always right :)

Which means that its almost assuredly never going to happen. Chaosium having more than a tuppence to rub together in the best of times would be so downright unusual to be a sure sign of the 'pockylypse.

SDLeary

Pretty much. That has basically been Chaosium's problem from day one. Like most RPG companies, especially those from the TSR era, it is a tiny company run out of somebody's garage, on a shoestring budget.

In the early days Chaosium was an innovative leader in the field, but they degenerated into the CoC company, and haven't done anything significant in decades other than break up. It is why BRP is such a shot in the arm to us. It is the first real sign of life in the company in years. How many people bought "zero" because they were worried that BRP would never really happen?

Anyway, it doesn't look like Glorantha is a terribly marketable property these days. It was ground-breaking in its time, but there are a lot of other settings out there now, many of which hang together a bit better.

Glorantha wasn't terribly marketable in the old days. That's one reason why RQ-RQ3 never surpassed D&D. The setting is very different from what most gamers expect. Most of the D&Ders I gamed with back them had a hard time accepting the idea of "fighters" casting spells. It is probably more marketable now than it ever was. Greg's probably made more money from MRQ'S Glorantha line and the current HeroQuest stuff than he did in Chaosium's heydey, even adjusting for inflation.

I still think the setting is fine, and holds together as well as any fantasy setting out there. The various game mechanics that have been tacked onto the setting are another matter. MRQ1 being the worst fit, IMO.

It isn't the setting's fault if its various pantheons didn't match up well with MRQ's runic associations.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Yeah, Glorantha was unfortunately never as big as Krynn or Forgotten Realms as a setting, that's for sure.

The inconsistent artwork and production quality didn't help RQ's plight much either.

However there was something about it that had appeal. I still enjoy running games there to this day, which is weird as I jump from setting to setting, but always end up back in Glorantha.

Probably just a limbic system thing.

I never got into MRQ1, but MRQ2 seems to be alot better (and the books are a good production), but I haven't actually run it. There's a few things about it that are a little alien to the core system (eg Hero Points, they're more at home in GURPS or Savage Worlds, but RQ?), I prefer the BRP corebook as far as game mechanics go.

Well the BRP system works well with a fantasy setting, it's time Chaosium started publishing another one, non-Cthuhlu in nature (no disrespect to CoC). Glorantha 3rd Age or possibly Hyboria (now that Mongoose has dropped it) would be a dream, but I doubt either of those settings will appear in BRP soon. Chaosium needs another product besides it's flagship CoC - however I do like all these new BRP licencee prducts springing up at present, it kinda feels like the early days of rpgs all over again.

Anyway I digress - my 'dumb question about Glorantha' was just that, just a dumb question about Glorantha...

Anyway I digress - my 'dumb question about Glorantha' was just that, just a dumb question about Glorantha...

Not dumb at all. A lot of people have wondered the same thing over the years and will still wonder in the future, because of the history of RQ/BRP/Glorantha.

I can't see it happening, personally. Maybe Chaosium can do a First Age Glorantha (Arkat vs Gbaji) makeover with BRP.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Well the BRP system works well with a fantasy setting, it's time Chaosium started publishing another one...

Like Chronicles of Future Earth, perhaps?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Well I have 'Chronicles of Future Earth' currently on order from Amazon, so I should be checking it out next week.

The setting looks really interesting. If it's going to succeed however, it will need to have support - Chaosium need to fully support another setting outside of CoC (which they have done really good), there needs to be supplements to flesh things out and to keep the punters interested. I have high hopes for Future Earth, but it will only succeed with heaps of support. I do really like what I'm seeing with other settings as well - Chivalry & Chivalry (RQ2) looks good, I would have preferred it to be BRP but that's just pedantic. I love the BRP Rome book, and I wish I had bought 'Stupor Mundi' - I'm eagerly awaiting the release of 'Merrie England', hurry up! :-)

Still, I guess I knew my answer about BRP Glorantha, it was just wishful thinking really. As for a 'BRP First Age Glorantha' - well one of you writers should have a chat with Mr Stafford on that one, it's certainly brimmingwith potential...

I haven't been able to buy 'Stupor Mundi' or 'Merrie England' from Amazon or pdfs from DrivethruRPG, but I found both of them as pdfs at YourGamesNow, so I'll be checking both out pretty soon - I want hard copies!

Well I have 'Chronicles of Future Earth' currently on order from Amazon, so I should be checking it out next week.

The setting looks really interesting. If it's going to succeed however, it will need to have support - Chaosium need to fully support another setting outside of CoC (which they have done really good), there needs to be supplements to flesh things out and to keep the punters interested. I have high hopes for Future Earth, but it will only succeed with heaps of support.

Chaosium released Chronicles in January and followed it up with Children of the Worm in February. That's not a bad release schedule.

Yes, you're right, that is an excellent schedule actually.

No disrespect intended, I'm pretty interested in the 'Future Earth' setting, and will likely purchase 'Children of the Worm' down the track to show support (and hopefully play).

I guess this has all veered a little off topic, originally I just wanted to know if there had been any Greg Stafford involvement with BRP system, just wishful thinking from on old Gloranthan fanboy. Some fool at the local comic shop tried telling me that 3rd Age Glorantha was on the cards with the new BRP system, I guess that sparked my interest to throw the question out there to see if anyone knew about it. Looks like he certainly has got his wires crossed somewhere...

I've supported Chaosium since I was a kid in the mid '80s, and I do like the current products - anything Cthuhlu is really cool, I think the 'Cthuhlu Invictus' stuff looks really good. Originally I thought the idea was unusual, but it's pretty cool - I'm considering GMing a Roman setting next, and I'll be using BRP ROME, with a few curl balls thrown in from Cthuhlu Invictus, it should make for a great campaign. I haven't actually read 'Future Earth' yet, but I ordered it online a week ago because it sounds like it has great potential.

Anyway, I'm certainly didn't intend to dish the current production schedule, I would love to see Chaosium go from strength to strength with the new settings

Edited by Mankcam

I haven't been able to buy 'Stupor Mundi' or 'Merrie England' from Amazon or pdfs from DrivethruRPG, but I found both of them as pdfs at YourGamesNow, so I'll be checking both out pretty soon - I want hard copies!

I hope you like them - Paolo's Stupor Mundi is very good.

The BRP version of Merrie England should be available "soon". I don't know when, but it shouldn't be too long now.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here