Random Attributes?

Why was the random attribute option removed in 5th edition?

I am personally not a fan of point buy systems and prefer the random system. Was their a mechanical reason for the random system being removed or was it just due to preference and can you still effectively use the random system from 4th?

Edited by tenchi2a

That is also how I see it. By removing the random nature, you have full control over your character. Every choice you make determined your character. As Morien points out, BoK&L which is also a 5th edition book has the random generation system in it. In fact, the subtitle says it is the "Advanced Character Generation for King Arthur Pendragon, 5th ed."

This is also exactly how it was done in 3e: The basic rulebook had the designed 60 point method, Cymric only, and the advanced chargen with random rolling and other cultures were in Knights Adventurous.

4e is the exception, since it is just re-editing 3e + KA together into a single book.

4 hours ago, Hzark10 said:

That is also how I see it. By removing the random nature, you have full control over your character. Every choice you make determined your character. As Morien points out, BoK&L which is also a 5th edition book has the random generation system in it. In fact, the subtitle says it is the "Advanced Character Generation for King Arthur Pendragon, 5th ed."

You also have the possibility to favor STR, SIZ and CON over less important characteristics such as DEX and APP (at least, less important in editions before 6th).

On 6/4/2023 at 9:10 AM, Mugen said:

You also have the possibility to favor STR, SIZ and CON over less important characteristics such as DEX and APP (at least, less important in editions before 6th).

I have found that in most if not all games (This one included) Point buy systems lead to carbon-copy characters, as players go for the most optimized Attribute spread for the type of game being played (Combat/Social/Etc.). And while some players will make a character based on a concept, most will game the system.

At least to me, the fun of a character is not having the prefect killing machine or super diplomat but having to work at what needs to be done, and sometimes failing.

Thank for the Radom roll location. looks like it was updated a bit to insure characters where no more then 1 point below the minimums. Nice fix.

Edited by tenchi2a
  • Like 2

I agree with Tenchi, above. I play with a bunch of engineers who would min-max their characters if I let them 🙂 Thus, we roll all characteristics and attributes. Roleplaying is not about having the perfect hero character but rather about having a character with failings you cannot influence but must incorporate into your playing.

• Like 1