They might be giants ...

seneschal

Basic Creatures lists the RuneQuest-standard giant as nearly 50 feet tall. However, the biblical Goliath was just under 10 feet tall. Cormoran, the initial villain in Jack the Giant Killer, was 18 feet tall. King Kong ranged from 20 to 40 feet tall (he was bigger in New York City). So how "giant" are the giants in your campaign?

I'm considering throwing a giant at my Narnia PCs. The players want to use miniatures, and I've got several appropriate toy figures for the monsters. In 1/72 scale, my 3-4.5" "giants" would be in the 18-30 foot range. A 50-foot giant in scale with 25/28mm minis would be a whopping 8 inches tall. At these dimensions, 11-12" G.I. Joe and Barbie would kick butt and take names even among RuneQuest giants. =O

In our settings we used "natural" giants (normal physical creatures), which were

two to four times as tall as humans (4 m to 8 m) and "mythological" giants (like

those of the Norse mythology), which were "as tall as they wanted", up to hund-

reds of meters (think of the saga where some gods sleep in the glove of a giant).

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Basic Creatures lists the RuneQuest-standard giant as nearly 50 feet tall.

That's the Gloranthan "slowly turning in to a mountain" Giant, and it does say that is fully grown and that most Giants are smaller... and notes that GM's can down power their Giants by simply reducing SIZ and STR.

However, the biblical Goliath was just under 10 feet tall. Cormoran, the initial villain in Jack the Giant Killer, was 18 feet tall. King Kong ranged from 20 to 40 feet tall (he was bigger in New York City). So how "giant" are the giants in your campaign?

Depends on the setting. I have fond memories of the original AD&D G1-3 modules, so I have predilection for fairly large (if not Gloranthan "gargantuan") giants as NPC's / "monsters". But I'm also very fond of Stephen Donaldson's "Chronicles pof Thomas Covenant" and Monte Cooke's "Lands of the Diamond Throne", so as a PC race I go for more "very large human" size, with a maximum towards Goliath sizes.

Cheers,

Nick

In non-Gloranthan games, my giants go up to about 6m for most purposes.

However, a Jack and the Beanstalk giant would be substantially taller - maybe 16m.

If I played a game using the Birchbark Chronicles, I would use substantially bigger giants for the Alyps of Bashkiria and Tartaria, these would be more like Gloranthan True Giants, 150m or so, but they are mountain-sized giants.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I like the giants in Glorantha, and have used them in my Gloranthan campaign where they simply do not stop growing!

I think gloranthan giants grow (something like) 1 metre every 5 years, that makes your 50ft tall giant about 16 and a half metres tall and about 80 years old! While I appreciate that giants are naturally contrary I think you have to agree that a 50ft pensioner is not going to cause a bunch of determined adventurers too much trouble...

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

They might be fake

They might be lies

They might be big, big, fake, fake lies

Tabloid footprints in your hair

Tabloid footprints everywhere

We can't be silent

'Cause they might be giants

And what are we going to do unless they are

...sorry...

70/420