Criticals and Hit Locations

WEMO

Hi,

Has anybody done anything interesting with critical location hits???

I have just been looking at the old WFRP v1 Critical Hits system that was released with the GM screen and looking to adapt it - or something similar.

Not sure if any of you know the system, but the larger the minus wounds for a particular location - the more serious the wound may be (there is a random element to it). The tables are also sorted by type damage type, such as: Sharp, Blunt, Teeth & Claws, Arrows, Firearms...etc

Any thoughts ?

Well it's certainly not a bad idea if you want to tinker the game down to that detail. I think it may slow my own combat sessions down a bit, the game might start to resemble Rolemaster (a good system for detail), but personally I don't like to refer to too many tables during a combat scene, so I'ld probably leave Crits as is.

However, this system lends itself quite well to home rules, so if that's your idea of a good game then you certainly won't find too many hurdles adding extra charts in.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

My own attempt at this is available in the Wiki: http://basicroleplaying.com/wiki/doku.php?id=combat:major_wound_table

"S" denotes Serious wounds and "C" Critical wounds (though 'Grievous' may have been a better name, to avoid confusion with crit hits). What constitutes a Serious/Critical(Grievous) wound is a separate issue.

(I use a probably unusual system for HPs, where characters get only about half what's normal for BRP, but stay alive until -CON. In that -5hp is Serious and -10 is Critical/Grievous - and means they suffer the appropriate injury according to the location, and sub-location struck. But that's not necessary for using the table.)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.